roverandbrew

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
United States, South Africa, Zambia
I am currently working on the West coast of Africa while my Wife and three children (10 years, 13 years, 17 years) will be visiting Kenya and Tanzania mid August for 10 days. They will be visiting Nairobi, Ngorongoro Crater, Northern Serengeti, Mara Naboisho Conservancy. The "recommendation" is yellow fever shots and Malaria meds for all. My question is being the weather will be cool and minimal mosquitos do you think this would be of high importance or not really a requirement. I have worked all throughout South America, Afghanistan, and Africa for almost 30 years and have only taken Malaria meds once. Never an issue. I hate to have additional requirements on her as she is working full time and managing three kids while I am away. Any common sense thoughts from people who have visited those locations? My initial thoughts are the odds are so damn low that if time allows it makes sense, but not a requirement.

The "recommendation" is yellow fever shots and Malaria meds for all.

I was told that the rate of complications from the yellow fever vaccine spikes for those who get it after 60 years of age. It is a one time inoculation, so I got it done even though it was not necessary. It leaves me the option to travel to places in the future without the avoidable risk.

I just returned from that region and going back in 20 days, I do have a yellow card from years ago but never take meds, I am just careful and stay covered. I spend 5 months a year or so working in Kenya FYI. However I am not a Dr, and would recommend taking their advice :)

I would be more concerned with election violence, hopefully your family is waiting until after the 9th elections.

My wife and I went in 2017. Our doctor advised against the yellow fever vaccine since we are over 70. Instead we got the waiver and traveled from South Africa to Tanzania then Kenya in the areas you mentioned. If I remember correctly the issue may be that if you go too Tanzania, Kenya or a malaria area first, then too South Africa, you may need the vaccine per their rules. I was never concerned.

A friend of mine is a safari guide in Kenya. He has to keep his yellow fever certificate up to date as he travels between Kenya, Tanzania and S.Africa frequently.
if you walk into a tropical medicine centre they will shoot you up with everything. Why ? That’s how they make bucks. We traveled to Namibia in 2019. One of us traveled from Scotland. Being his first time to visit Africa and a cautious but not canny Scots he ended up like a pincushion ! You need no shots for Namibia.
I was in Kenya in 2013, IIIRC I had no shots.

Been a bit ..but for Tanzania you needed a yellow fever shot....we flew from here to zanzibar couple years ago and needed vaccination certificates at check in....caused a bit of a problem....I remembered somehow that I possibly had my certificate from years ago in my pocket of my laptop case where those things live...luckily I was correct...for the others my sister in law phoned her doctor who arrived at the airport and ...well all was sorted with documents.... ;) ....apparently the shot needs to be given a certain amount of time before travel...3 or 4 weeks....but on arrival nobody asked to see any documents....but I would not mess around and just get what is needed....and regardless of you having never caught malaria I would suggest your family take the medication....I know smart asses who decided didn't need to take that have come here and been down with it in a few days...but your choice...

Been a bit ..but for Tanzania you needed a yellow fever shot....we flew from here to zanzibar couple years ago and needed vaccination certificates at check in....caused a bit of a problem....I remembered somehow that I possibly had my certificate from years ago in my pocket of my laptop case where those things live...luckily I was correct...for the others my sister in law phoned her doctor who arrived at the airport and ...well all was sorted with documents.... ;) ....apparently the shot needs to be given a certain amount of time before travel...3 or 4 weeks....but on arrival nobody asked to see any documents....but I would not mess around and just get what is needed....and regardless of you having never caught malaria I would suggest your family take the medication....I know smart asses who decided didn't need to take that have come here and been down with it in a few days...but your choice...

Maybe I am not clear... Definitely not a smart ass. The CDC is unclear on needed verse recommended. I have had chikungunya from mosquitos but not malaria. Plenty with me had Malaria. I am not oblivious to the threat and not looking to be a neglectful parent. Yellow Fever as of yesterday was not available in the state my family is living in. She would need to take off work, load the kids, drive to another state and try and get it sorted. If the threat was minimal and hassle great I was looking to conduct a risk assessment and make a common sense decision. Right now I am living in Nigeria and taking doxy and have my yellow fever shot. Thanks for the comment.

Hi Rover, you should check on the Kenya Airways website for Kenyan regulations.
But basically you need a valid yellow fever card and a COVID vaccination certificate or Covid negative test for both Kenya and Tanzania. I am not sure if you need to still fill in travel severance online form for Kenya but check on the Kenya ministry of Health website.
You mentioned traveling mid August, are you aware of the Kenya elections on the 09 August. I would take some caution as there is an expectation of post election violence in Kenya.
Good luck on your travel.

Hi Rover, you should check on the Kenya Airways website for Kenyan regulations.
But basically you need a valid yellow fever card and a COVID vaccination certificate or Covid negative test for both Kenya and Tanzania. I am not sure if you need to still fill in travel severance online form for Kenya but check on the Kenya ministry of Health website.
You mentioned traveling mid August, are you aware of the Kenya elections on the 09 August. I would take some caution as there is an expectation of post election violence in Kenya.
Good luck on your travel.

I truly appreciate your insight. Thank You.

Maybe I am not clear... Definitely not a smart ass. The CDC is unclear on needed verse recommended. I have had chikungunya from mosquitos but not malaria. Plenty with me had Malaria. I am not oblivious to the threat and not looking to be a neglectful parent. Yellow Fever as of yesterday was not available in the state my family is living in. She would need to take off work, load the kids, drive to another state and try and get it sorted. If the threat was minimal and hassle great I was looking to conduct a risk assessment and make a common sense decision. Right now I am living in Nigeria and taking doxy and have my yellow fever shot. Thanks for the comment.

Wasn't saying you are....just saying that's happened to people who decided they knew better so didn't bother....for some reason the rains this year we had staff especially scouts coming down with malaria way more than previous years....also in Tanzania I don't know if its still the case , but they used to give you a yellow fever shot at the airport on arrival if you didn't have certificate proving vaccination...that was quite a few years ago though...so probably changed....but back then I wouldn't have been keen having a needle stuck in me by the people checking forms....and as said Kenya elections have been pretty violent in the past

Just had a look and seems things have changed so should be OK without yellow fever vaccination unless transiting or coming from a country that has yellow fever....but I would make sure with whoever they are flying with....as I said 3 years ago flying from here at check in they wanted to see yellow fever vaccination certificate...and no arguing or showing it wasn't mandatory to them made any difference.....here it could be sorted...but doubt you will have that option

Last edited:
Hunted Tanzania last year. No Yellow fever requirement that I remember. No questions and we really didn't worry about it. I doubt you need to worry.
Bruce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeraldineI

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!