Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Hunted
USA, Canada, New Zealand, Mexico Africa.
Gents, any recommendations on a good operation for a pheasant hunt in Kansas?

Hmmm, I’ve hunted Kansas a bunch, lived there just long enough to get a lifetime license. I don’t remember coming across commercial operations for wild birds as you do in South Dakota. Wish I could help.

If you’ve got a dog there is plenty of access to good hunting.

These guys run a pretty good outfit. They have both wild birds or can do a release, it isn't like the hunts I go on in SD, but it is still great hunting. The weather is also better most of the time.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-04 at 10.56.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-04 at 10.56.38 AM.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 202
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-04 at 10.56.38 AM 1.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-04 at 10.56.38 AM 1.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 194
Reactions: WAB
For DIY: Kansas has that incredible WiHA (Walk in Hunting Access) program. Just do a little internet research and you'll be able to find a good area to drive to. Then when you get there you spend a half a day or so driving around and looking for something good. The local feed&seed and the local greasy spoon diner can also be good spots to inquire.
I wish I could point you toward some good outfitters, but sadly I don't know any.

These guys run a pretty good outfit. They have both wild birds or can do a release, it isn't like the hunts I go on in SD, but it is still great hunting. The weather is also better most of the time.
Yep, looking at these guys. Now you say not like South Dakota? In what way?

Yep, looking at these guys. Now you say not like South Dakota? In what way?

I would say I consistently see more wild birds in SD than I do in Kansas. But I also hunt in SD more, so I don't have as much experience in Kansas.

Have you hunted with them? I’m looking at them. Possibly looking at Nebraska also.

Have you hunted with them? I’m looking at them. Possibly looking at Nebraska also.

Yes, I have. They are a well-established operation, I stayed at one of the lodges on the ranch. Everything was very well done, I had a good hunt.

JB, South Dakota would be the place to go. The prices have gone crazy, and I believe the rates back in 2015 (last time I went) was around $500-600 per gun. That included lodging, food, dogs, and three birds which is the daily limit. Not sure what it is now. I didn't hunt with them, I was hunting private property, but that is what I heard the going rate was. Lots of birds around the Winer area. There were some public land but you need a dog, lots of cover for the birds, and you need to shoot steel in public land.

I’ve hunted both but have hunted KS a lot (30+ days some years). One advantage to KS is a 4 bird limit and in the right areas a very strong quail population with an 8 bird limit. With two guns and good dogs we focus on quail and will often limit on roosters in the process.

SD has had a much higher pheasant population when I have hunted there. It has actually been a bit of a negative on some hunts as the hunt has lasted less than an hour for a days bag.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-05 at 9.04.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-05 at 9.04.09 AM.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 190
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-05 at 9.04.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-05 at 9.04.10 AM.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 209
Thanks guys, I’m looking at Nebraska hard. I think that might be a better option. Looking now at The Rackett lodge. No bag limit and trap/ sporting clays course. Nice lodging.

No limit means released birds. That can still be great hunting, just be aware that it won’t be wild birds.

Thanks guys, I’m looking at Nebraska hard. I think that might be a better option. Looking now at The Rackett lodge. No bag limit and trap/ sporting clays course. Nice lodging.

That place looks very nice. That is also a nice part of the state.

Just out of corriosity,
What states in USA are known for good phaesant hunting?

Just out of corriosity,
North and South Dakota have very good pheasant populations. I would say Nebraska, Iowa, and Kansas would fill out the next tier.

They are in many states and provinces. The best hunting is likely North to South: ND, SD, NE, KS. I have chased bird dogs across all of these and others. The single largest wild rooster I have taken was in the back of an apple orchard in the Annapolis valley of Nova Scotia.

Just out of corriosity,
Top 5 according to the net South Dakota, Montana, Minnesota, Nebraska, North Dakota.

No limit means released birds. That can still be great hunting, just be aware that it won’t be wild birds.
I will ask that question.

Reactions: WAB
If you want great pheasant hunting on wild birds you'd be hard pressed to not visit South Dakota or North Dakota. October I was seeing them all over the place so know it was a good hatch. Atleast on our side of N.D.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.