Kahles binoculars

Discussion in 'Hunting Equipment, Gear & Optics' started by CBH Australia, Feb 10, 2019.

1. CBH Australia

CBH Australia AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Ive been looking at Some Kahles Binos online in Australia. I found the old model on clearance $1000 new. but I seem to think they were superseded 3 years ago.
    I found the new model Helia 10x42 about $1300 new not RF model rangefinding
    I really like the look of the new ones brown with the leather strap/covers etc.
    Any thoughts or reviews on either. I have not looked through them and probably won’t get near a stockist

I’ve seen two different model Swarovski in different price points side by side and there is aDifference in the picture I believe

I like these in this price range.

2. CBH Australia

CBH Australia AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    No thoughts on these.

I was talking to my mate who bought Steiner 8x40 and is happy. He read some stuff on 8x having some advantage for certain purpose.

I then went back to t looking at 8x

The Leupold 8x30 Yosemite are in a much lower price point with good reviews. I don’t birdwatch or sit and glass for hours but for the price it seems like a cheap binocular that’s versatile. Hunt travel and get a closer look at things.

I want to do a cull hunt in Africa and thought the Leupold Yosemite might be good for the wife. Something to look at the scenery and animals etc.

Any thoughts on these

3. Dewald

Dewald AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    KZN Hunters/ SAHGCA/
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia
    I tested the Helia 10x42 range finding binoculars for a weekend. I would trade my old Leica Geovid in a heartbeat for them. The image is as good and although the Leica probably does better ito ranging quicker at distances over 700m, the fact that the Kahles is so much lighter makes a big difference to me

4. Ridgewalker

Ridgewalker AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
    Sorry, I have no knowledge of that model, but I’ve used 8x30 Nikons for several bushveld trips and they have worked well. I also have some 10x40 Swarovski that I hate hauling the weight around and a 10x40 Leica rangefinder that is also quite heavy to haul.
    My preference is the 8x30 size and a separate rangefinder. The total weight may be slightly more, but the rangefinder rides mostly in a pocket of my vest and not hanging around my neck.
    JMO

Red Leg likes this.

5. Red Leg

Red Leg AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
    Hunted:
    Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
    I am the opposite - I hate hauling two different optical devices. Neither is right or wrong - we base our equipment decisions on our own experiences. I frankly do not need a range finder in Africa, so there I use a very light Leica HD 10x42. On the other hand, when I travel to the mountains, I will only use bino's with a range finder. The best I have found is the Leica Geovid HD-B 10x42. They weigh less than a lot of equivalent non- range finding optics, and mine have traveled with me all over the North America and Europe.

But back to the original question, Khales is one of the great old names in German optics. I have only rarely seen current production binoculars for sale in this country. I have two of their modern scopes - both of which are world class optics.

Ridgewalker likes this.

6. blacks

blacks AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Australian Deer Association, Australian Association of Wildlife Artists, Australian Hunting Net
    Hunted:
    Australia, New Zealand, Namibia, South Africa
    I have the older Kahles 10x42s that I've been running for 5-6 years or so and like them a lot. For a $grand Aussie they can't be beaten in my opinion.

I was tempted to upgrade to the RF model till I found out they are made in China unlike my Austrian models.