Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Asia/M.East
Member of
SCI, NFAA
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe, UAE, California
So this isn't directly a hunting article, but I wanted to share anyway. I started archery a year and a half ago and soon on, realized I could not teach my kids how to shoot and looked for a coach. It turns out there was a guy in a wheelchair who was missing an arm and a leg but supposedly was pretty good with a bow and was teaching a class at an adaptive sports facility. His class was open to all, so I signed us up.

He was great with the kids and I liked that they had a good interaction with somebody who was disabled. I know they will never look at a person in a wheelchair as less than a full person or treat them any differently because of their condition. Also, it turns out, he could shoot. He has to pull the bow string back with his teeth, but he gets it done.

At just after 1am California time, he was shooting in the elimination rounds for the World Archery Para Championships. After winning three matches, he was in the finals against a guy from Turkey. Pulling from behind twice, he wins and gets another world title. He won his first 14 years ago. He has also been to 4 Paralympics, winning three medals, including a gold in London 2012.

One of our friends on Facebook told him to go to DisneyWorld now. He said, no, he would take his wife to dinner then take his kids deer hunting.

This is the guy I am lucky enough to have teaching me archery.

http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Archery/...ld-Champion-Title-Silver-for-Recurve-Open-Men

I built an Olympic archery range at my work for me and my girls to practice on, but I have opened it up to Jeff to bring disabled vets out and teach them archery as part of their rehabilitation. It turns out, archery is a sport that can allow people with nearly any disability to still compete in and even compete at the highest level, as evidenced by Matt Stutzman winning the US National Championship in the able bodied category this year - even though he was born without arms. I even know some people who are blind that do competitive archery. It is very inspiring to shoot next to people like this. If you know somebody who has a disability that might be interested, talk to them. Maybe even shoot with them. It just might be one of the most rewarding experiences and friendships you can have.

Thanks for sharing and for opening up your range to the vets!

Very cool story and thank you for your support of vets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MorrisFloc

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg