Just joined!

Welcome to AH, Phillip !

Welcome to AH sir!

From one Phil to another, welcome to AH! I can only imagine what the dove shooting would be like there.

Welcome! Wish I could be there with you to help reduce the population of those aerial attach varmints!
Enjoy!

Wish you warm barrels.
Welcome to AH

Welcome aboard!

Welcome our new friend.

A hearty welcome Phil. I've been told by an outfitter that is a PG & DG PH that hunting birds in SA is a lot of fun. I haven't tried it yet, maybe next time. Do you hunt four footed game as well? What firearms do you own? Do you reload? Please tell us a little more about yourself.

Are you shooting white breasted crows too or just dove?

A hearty welcome Phil. I've been told by an outfitter that is a PG & DG PH that hunting birds in SA is a lot of fun. I haven't tried it yet, maybe next time. Do you hunt four footed game as well? What firearms do you own? Do you reload? Please tell us a little more about yourself.

Hello there,

Well, where to start?!!
I've a Ruger Redhawk 7&1/2", Bushnell scoped, for large game. I mainly shoot for Nyala, Blesbok & Impala for the pot.
My Browning Field, pump action, for wild pig/boar.
My Ugartechea Model 221, side by side, for wingshooting. Pigeons, duck, quail, etc

My step-son is a PH over here, and we reload together.
Best regards,
Phillip

Ruger 44.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I too have a scoped Ruger 44 Magnum with a 7 & 1/2" barrel that I reload for. Mine is an old 3 screw Blackhawk. I've taken White-tailed deer with it but no African game. I also own a couple of Browings, however the Ugartechea Model 221 is a new one on me. Is it made in South Africa? Since it is a side by side maybe it is similar to my old L.C. Smith. When we were on Safari in Limpopo last August, we ate Blesbok and Impala. They had Nyala on the place but they were way out of my price range. Do you have to pay to hunt on a concession or is there some public lands that you can hunt?

On our way from the airport to Limpopo we stopped at Safari and Outdoors in JoBurg. What a store, they had just about everything a hunter needs. They had shelves full of ammunition in calibers I've only read about.

If possible could you post a picture of your Ugartechea?

I too have a scoped Ruger 44 Magnum with a 7 & 1/2" barrel that I reload for. Mine is an old 3 screw Blackhawk. I've taken White-tailed deer with it but no African game. I also own a couple of Browings, however the Ugartechea Model 221 is a new one on me. Is it made in South Africa? Since it is a side by side maybe it is similar to my old L.C. Smith. When we were on Safari in Limpopo last August, we ate Blesbok and Impala. They had Nyala on the place but they were way out of my price range. Do you have to pay to hunt on a concession or is there some public lands that you can hunt?

On our way from the airport to Limpopo we stopped at Safari and Outdoors in JoBurg. What a store, they had just about everything a hunter needs. They had shelves full of ammunition in calibers I've only read about.

If possible could you post a picture of your Ugartechea?

ugartechea mod 221.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning,

Glad to hear you've visited South Africa, a unique place.
We've all kinds of political upheaval at the moment....... that's Africa!
Yes, Safari & Outdoor, their Pretoria/Lynnwood branch is even bigger, and stocks all those $50,000 plus double rifles, etc.

Generally hunting over here is on concession land, or privately owned game farms. Their is hardly any open, or free area in South Africa.
However, we do get the opportunity to hunt for culling purposes, over-crowding of rams, etc. We pay for just the meat value to the land owner. But, you've got to be connected, if you know what I mean! My stepson is a PH, worked for Safari & Outdoor for 3 years, and knows a lot of influential clients.

I enjoy the wingshooting the most, it's cheap, and at the moment birds are everywhere. The farmers can't wait for the guns to get rid of pigeon, ruining the sunflower crop at the moment.

Best regards,
Phillip

Welcome to AH

Phil, your shotgun looks pretty much like I expected it would. I have a "thing" for older guns, do you know when and where it was made? Regarding the "better" rifles and shotguns at Safari and Outdoors about all I could afford was a glance, a wishful thought and a WOW will you take a look at those! The closest thing to that in the States for most guys in the Gun Library at Cabela's. Realistically most of Cabela's Library guns would probably be on Safari and Outdoors used gun rack.

Good luck with the wing shooting! By the way that Ruger should take down most game you are after and then some!

Welcome to AH Phillip!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorginaAr

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!