Just got a nice post 64 Win 70 home, in...

Congrats! I bought featherweight in the 7x57 over 9 years ago!

Congratulations on a very nice rifle. Passed on one when my kids were babies and my wallet thin. Seems I recall classic calibers showing up in these pretty frequently too. I have one in 257 Roberts and 280 Rem. I also picked up a Winchester 70 Classic in 300 Weatherby new in the mid 90's. Hunting elk in Montana with it right now in fact. 7X57 is on the short list for my next rifle.

The Rugers weree snapped up in the Lipsey specials 250 units per year....why would Winchester not get a clue for the demand and produce a limited run. 257 Bob. 7x57. Put a decent piece of wood on it, something other than telephone pole grain and watch them go out the door.

Nice rifle congratz on the find. They are nice rifles and one of my favourite calibres.

You’re going to like it. I bought mine new and have taken hundreds of animals with it. You won’t see mine for sale unless my son sells it after I am gone!

In 1982 I traded a Browning P 35 Hi Power for a M70 Featherweight XTR 7x57, without sights, brand smoking new, never fired. That rifle set me on the 7x57 course and I have admired them ever since. Early last year a very close friend was wanting a 7x57 so, I reluctantly sold him that very rifle with the provision that when he wanted to sell it, I would be the first ask. So last December he said he had too many rifles?? and asked if I would like the Winchester back? Without a nano second of hesitation I said YES and so it is in it's rightful place, never to leave again!
erDWjIUl.jpg

Attachments

• erDWjIUl.jpg
    erDWjIUl.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 62
Last edited by a moderator:
I picked mine up right before Thanksgiving. Perfect condition, 1982 mfg. The bluing is so deep on these old XTRs, feeds and extracts my dummy rounds like butter. I had enough parts laying around to get it game ready:

Meopta 3-9x40 #4 reticle in Talley LW low rings
M-Carbo M70 trigger spring
Confirmed twist at 1:8.25”

The 140gr TTSX touch the lands at 3.154” OAL. I’m going to start at .050 from the lands, that gives me 3.104” with a little room to spare in the mag box with these long Barnes. The rest of the load is PPU brass, 215M primers, and H4350 working up to 50gn.

AC71ECC5-34DA-43CA-AC2F-DB9C83BAAA0C.jpeg

That is the rifle I bought new in ‘82 or thereabouts. I gave it to my son for his birthday this year with the stipulation that it never leaves the family. I have two other 7x57’s now. What an outstanding caliber.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg