Just could not pass it up

Shortride

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
NRA Benefactor life member, Ducks Unlimited, Local gun clubs and shotgun clubs
Went to one of our better gun shows here in Wisconsin last weekend. Was walking around not looking for anything special and there it was. Laying on the table in all of it's beauty and looking like it needed a new home I just could not pass it up. A Winchester model 70 in 300 H&H made in 1950.. We talked about it for a few minutes and I walked on, but it called me back. I'm a sucker for polished wood and deep dark bluing. Well I took it home and just finished taking it apart and cleaning and oiling everything. Now here's my question the seller gave me a couple of boxes of Winchester 180 gr. Fail safes. I know these are not made anymore and want to know about them. What are they good for or should I just keep them because they are old?

first congrats on your purchase. second, I (personally) hate moly coated bullets. some folks love the things, I can't stand them. again, that is my personal feeling about them. based on that I would sell the ammo and buy some other type ammo for it. the bullet design has been proven to be very effective time and time again, it's just the crap they put on the outside that I don't care for.

Keep one box for the nostalgia and shoot the other to get use to the gun. If you reload reuse the brass or look for some current loads to use.

Shortride, firstly congrats on a very fine purchase.

The "pre-64" version of the Model 70 Winchester has a volume of devoted fans who covet that particular model very highly, for various reasons.

If that rifle is in its original construction, i.e has not been altered, re-barreled, re-chambered etc and is in good shape regarding the condition then in that particular chambering it will be of considerable value to the collectors and those who prefer to hunt with the venerable "pre-64".

Regarding the ammunition you were given, the Failsafe bullets are VERY tough !

Great for heavier/bigger, thicker skinned game but on smaller or thinner skinned animals they will punch through with very little expansion.
I would be comfortable using the Failsafes on the likes of Eland, Zebra, Wildebeast etc but not deer.

I used the Failsafes in various calibers when they first came out and found they penetrated extremely well but did not expand very much when used on thin skinned animals such as deer.

Others mileage may vary.

Paul.

Son of a bi%#$! I've been wanting one of those for the longest time but will only buy one I can see in person. Congrats, I think that long term that gun will more than hold it's value and hopefully you have someone to pass it down to.

Let us know how it shoots.

Congrats on your purchase ,,those Model 70s are fine looking

Well if you can get a decent price for the Failsafes...sell otherwise, use them for big game, they are a premium bullet.

Thanks for the info on Fail safes. I think I'll just hold on to them and pass them on to the next owner if I ever decide to sell or trade it. I'm pretty sure the gun is original on the bottom of the barrel it is stamped "49" . It also had an early model Weaver K4 scope and the owner said it came from the estate of a Winchester collector. Over the years I have worked on a few of these for people and I feel it's original, no cracks or dings in the wood. Now I just need some brass and I can start reloading.

Short ride...welcome to the club. I have a 1961 Pre 64 Model 70 in 300 H&H as well. I was fortunate to find one in MINT condition. It's one of my most cherished rifles. The fact that it's in 300 H&H makes it even worth more. Enjoy it. I haven't brought myself to shoot mine yet.

Shortride, congratulations on your purchase.

I love good rifles that have been around longer than I have.

Enough with the Bragging... ;) Let us see some pictures of your new beauty!!!!!

This thread is useless without pics! :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SibylLasse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,