Just Bought a Sako Brown Bear XL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I want to install the limbsaver grind to fit Nitro pad, and as much weight as I can.............but I'm going to be doing it myself........I don't really trust a gun shop to do it. Correct me it I'm wrong.........but the new pad will have to be attached with screws.............so I'll either pull, or sheer off the pins that hold on the original pad............then I'll have to drill pilot holes, and glue and screw on the new pad..........and grind it to fit..................correct??

There is enough wood to put in tubes but old pad is put on with steel pins that must be cut with saw. (No screw heads) I had gunshop do it install tube 7/8 x5" and glue screw limbsaver pad in place and grind to fit. 14.25" length of pull
Recoil reduced and balance perfect for me when brought up sights align perfectly

Yes we just pulled the pieces out of stock filled with wood dowels glued them in and drilled pilot holes for pad then mercury or lead tubes holes to correct depth.
I work at Corlane sporting goods so I know the gunsmiths are very capable and do very good work.
Rifle in avatar is a Winchester 70 crf that was 426 R.E.M. Mag converted to 404 Jeffery feeds flawlessly three down and accurate no problems after approx 400 rounds, work done at Corlane sporting goods as well

Well, I'd take it there if I had access to it, but I doubt I do..............where's it at?? Otherwise, I feel like I can do a really nice job............just takes attention to detail and patience!

Yes we just pulled the pieces out of stock filled with wood dowels glued them in and drilled pilot holes for pad then mercury or lead tubes holes to correct depth.
I work at Corlane sporting goods so I know the gunsmiths are very capable and do very good work.
Rifle in avatar is a Winchester 70 crf that was 426 R.E.M. Mag converted to 404 Jeffery feeds flawlessly three down and accurate no problems after approx 400 rounds, work done at Corlane sporting goods as well

They are in Dawson Creek BC Canada mile zero Alaska Highway

Last edited:
HAHA, I'm in Kittanning, PA.........................looks like I'll be doing it myself!!!!!!!!!!!

They are in Dawson Creek BC Canada mile zone Alaska Highway

Correct just be careful to get alignment for holes set before starting and mark depth you want on drill bit. Sounds like you have fitted pads before so you should have no problems. I glued mine on as I don't plan on removing it any time soon.

After reading your post and a few others posts about the sako I broke down and bought one myself with the intention to do what you are going to do and add some weight to the stock. Early Christmas present to myself I suppose haha!

If you paid for yours in full, up front.........and have that sweet piece in your hands already..........then you've beat me to it, HAHA!!!!!!!! Congratulations, let me know what your initial impressions are. I can't wait for mine to come in........it's sitting there, with my name on it, destined for greatness!!!!!!!!!! I've already got all my new Reloading gear picked out, trouble is, I have to save up even more for that stuff now.........about $2300 more when all is said and done...........and add to that a bit more for some extra brass.........but it will all be worth it in the end. This is going to be my primary rifle now, it will go, pretty much where I go. I'm leaving my open sights..........I just think it'd be a shame to not make use of those FANTASTIC open sights that Sako has put on this Thumper!!!!!!!!!! Plus, the vast majority of my shot will be taken within 100 yards........and most of those probably closer to 50 or 60. Again, congratulations.................these guns were limited production from Sako.......part of their Sako Select program I believe. And if I'm not mistaken, only 500 of each caliber were made. Did you go with the 500 Jeffery as well??

After reading your post and a few others posts about the sako I broke down and bought one myself with the intention to do what you are going to do and add some weight to the stock. Early Christmas present to myself I suppose haha!

Matt,

When I drill the holes, can I leave the action on the stock.............if I'm able to use a hand drill.......I don't see why it couldn't be done this way, as long as I have an extra pair of hands to help me. Would this be doable, without risking a mistake....if caution is used?? Or, would I need to remove the action, and use some sort of a drill press set up?? I don't see how a drill press would work for this particular job.......as the stock is pretty damn long, and would not fit under most presses. Let me know how you did it.

Also, what would be the
I have done this before, we drilled two holes in the butt stock and used lead cylinders made to match the length and diameter of the holes. use some scrap wood to figure out how deep the holes should be drilled. we used some copper pipe cut in half and then hose clamped back together as a mold for the lead cylinders.

as long as your careful not to take too much off the walls of the stock or go too deep as to weaken the wrist, you will be "ok".

-matt

Thanks, I bought it at an online retailer, I'm just waiting for it to ship out and get to my ffl. My dealer is semi retired and is only open a couple days a week so it may be closer to Christmas or shortly after before I will have it in hand. Yes it is in 500 Jeffery, I'm a glutton for punishment haha. I will probably try and put a couple through it in it's stock configuration and see how that goes LOL. I will definitely report back when I have it in hand, I'll pry start a new thread as not to hijack yours.

Awesome!!!!! Please be sure to post here, and alert me to the new thread, so that I can check it out. It will be interesting for us to compare our experiences with this rifle, being as it is the exact same make, model, and caliber...........and we have similar plans for the gun. Are you putting a scope on yours?? Also, do you reload?? And, if so, what make/grain bullet....and velocity, do you have in mind?? I'll be going with Woodleigh 600 grain PP SN..............125 grains of H4831SC.........for 2130 fps and 6050 ft lbs.....................I figure it should get the job done, and save me some abuse in the process. I do have other loads ready to go, in case this one does not provide satisfactory accuracy.......however..........from the research I've done........it is indeed very accurate!!!!!!

Thanks, I bought it at an online retailer, I'm just waiting for it to ship out and get to my ffl. My dealer is semi retired and is only open a couple days a week so it may be closer to Christmas or shortly after before I will have it in hand. Yes it is in 500 Jeffery, I'm a glutton for punishment haha. I will probably try and put a couple through it in it's stock configuration and see how that goes LOL. I will definitely report back when I have it in hand, I'll pry start a new thread as not to hijack yours.

I definitely will let you know! I plan on using it as a stopping rifle using the open sights, I have no intention of putting a scope on it. I don't handload as of yet but plan on starting to in the relatively near future. I will probably stick with the 570gr Norma loads to start.

I doubt I will attempt to do the stock work myself, I will probably seek out a good big bore gunsmith to add the weight. Do you guys have any good recommendations?

I don't think it will matter whether the barrel is still in the stock or not. just make the holes as strait as possible and as evenly spaced as possible to prevent thin spots.

shoot what ever bullet/powder/speed combo is the most accurate and don't worry too much about speeds. as said, if you keep it at least 2050fps with at least a 570gr bullet then the cartridge will do its part on game. some people even go with lighter bullets at higher speeds. the original load for the 500 Jeffery was a 535gr bullet at 2300fps and this load will work fine on game if your bullet choice is good. my friend @ActionBob has used a 525gr bullet at 2300fps with great success out of a 505 Gibbs. however, I honestly prefer the heavier bullet at a slower speed.

-matt

My instinct to look at scopes, just to "see what I can find" has taken over me, haha. I really think I'm going to keep it open sights...............but with Sako having their cool Optilock system, heavy recoil would be no problem with a good optic. I'm just beginning to wonder if I'd be doing the rifle, and myself, a disservice by not taking advantage of it's accuracy potential!!!!!!!! What do you guys think?? To scope, or not to scope??

I definitely will let you know! I plan on using it as a stopping rifle using the open sights, I have no intention of putting a scope on it. I don't handload as of yet but plan on starting to in the relatively near future. I will probably stick with the 570gr Norma loads to start.

This one looks Shiny............................https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2...-hi-speed-zero-stop-illuminated-reticle-matte

Screen Shot 2016-12-18 at 8.50.12 AM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
we dont put scopes on these rifles because we value our bodies, not because we dont think the scope will hold up. ive fired a 505 Gibbs with a scope... didnt hurt my self too badly but learned that scopes are best left off these kinds of guns. if you scope a 500 it wont be a matter of "if you will get scope eye" it will be a matter of "when you will get scope eye".

ive heard of people putting "scout scope" set-ups on heavy rifles but to be honest at the ranges you will use this rifle i dont see a huge need for anything beyond maybe a red dot type optic.

-matt

No direct, firsthand knowledge, but the 500 Jeff appears to be a serious thumper. With 6,000 to 8,000 ft-lbs of ME, it should get both the target's and the shooter's attention for sure. If you don't already own a lead sled, go get one............or maybe two.

One of my favorite gun writers, Joe D'Alessandro at Realguns.com did a 2 part article on the 500 Jeff and then provided quite a bit of hand loading data. The rifle he used was a CZ, not a Sako though.

When Way Too Much Is Just Enough
The 500 Jeffery Project - Part I

http://www.realguns.com/archives/156.htm

Handloads and Range Results - Good Grief!
http://www.realguns.com/archives/157.htm

Hand load data:
http://www.realguns.com/loads/500jeffery.htm

The CZ SC550 Safari Classic in 500 Jeffery Parts I & II
http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar154.htm
http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar155.htm

Congrats on your new rifle! I have a 500 Jeffery also and read the real guns articles before I bought mine five years ago. Those loads are stout! I'm not saying they're too hot, but oh my a tad of recoil. I would start with some nice light 535g Woodleighs. Geoff at Woodleigh can give you load data. I hear the Sakos are really nice. Congrats again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg