Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA Canada, RSA, Argentina, Namibia/Caprivi
Hello everyone, just back from Dallas Safari Club Convention. I thought I might be in Siberia when I awoke Friday morning, sure didn't feel like Texas. We shivered our way to the Dallas Convention Center and only got lost once. Parking was a bit of a pain but shuttles were running to the convention center which is a good thing because I didn't know which building it was. Once inside it looked a lot like the Market Hall building that it used to be in. The crowd was very light and it stayed that way all day. Many of the outfitters looked lonely with no one at their booths. Even some of the big names in the industry were sitting all alone. I am sure the extreme cold kept a lot of people home. I did stop at some booths that caught my eye but it seemed to me their prices were a little optimistic with the way the economy is. As always I really enjoyed getting to see people I have hunted with in the past and meeting new people and getting to see some great taxidermy displays. Good hunting, Jim.

PS: while writing this I received an email from a friend who said there is some problem with the roof and water is getting in the convention center. Hope everything is OK.

I was at the show Friday and Saturday. Great show. I was able to finalize our Zim/Moz hunt, left a rifle to build with AHR, bought some Swift AFrames for the Lott, and my wife purchased a painting. Glad I was there for just two days.

The best gauge I have is the travel agents. One of them told me this was their best show in Dallas in the last 4 or 5 years. I take that as a good sign. The weather may have kept the casual lookers away. Saturday was pretty busy.

Parking was good when I figured it out. For 10 dollars I parked indoors at the convention center. Did not even need a coat.

There was water pouring from the ceiling right before closing on Saturday, I saw it before leaving. It impacted several exhibitors. Supposedly it was to be fixed by Sunday morning.

..I hope to attend that show in the near future. I think SCI should follow suit & open there show to the public. They are always asking the chapters to recruit more members - well what a great way to increase the membership if you let the public into the big show & let people see for themselves what SCI is all about. It's amazing at all the places our chapter sets up booths for increasing the membership at how many people don't know what SCI is. In 2003 when I joined I was the same way. A great organization but somehow we have to do a better job at educating the public on who we are & what we are all about!

Thanks Jim for this report on the Dallas Safari Club Convention.

I was at the show Friday and Saturday. Great show. I was able to finalize our Zim/Moz hunt...

Mike, Can you tell us what you have finalized for Zimbabwe and Mozambique... I'd be especially curious to hear what you have lined up for Mozambique!

I have 16 days booked with Mokore safaris. My wife and I will hunt with Neil Duckworth.

The first part of our safari will take place in the Save. There we will hunt Buffalo Bull and tuskless elephant. Afterwards we will move to Coutada 9 in Mozambique. Our primary quarry will be sable.

Also we will hunt plainsgame including Kudu, Nyala, bushbuck, eland, waterbuck as time permits on both concessions.

I will bring my 470 double rifle, CZ 375 H&H, and a 7 by 57 Mauser for my wife.

Mike, Good Luck, I'm so happy you are going to get to hunt in Mozambique. I sure hope your hunt turns out great! I can't wait to see pictures from your hunting adventure.

I have 16 days booked with Mokore safaris. My wife and I will hunt with Neil Duckworth.

The first part of our safari will take place in the Save. There we will hunt Buffalo Bull and tuskless elephant. Afterwards we will move to Coutada 9 in Mozambique. Our primary quarry will be sable.

Also we will hunt plainsgame including Kudu, Nyala, bushbuck, eland, waterbuck as time permits on both concessions.

I will bring my 470 double rifle, CZ 375 H&H, and a 7 by 57 Mauser for my wife.

Sounds like a great trip, Mike! I'll be looking forward to hearing more about it in the near future!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SharynSoli

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross