Judging Lion

Thanks Jerome.
I missed a whole line of lions in the 5-6 year age class, and they're all Luangwa lions. But there are no older ones for Zambia, and if there is a legal age of 6, that's a pity as there isn't an example of a legal age Zambian lion.

Out of interest, I have posted a few pictures of a skull of a lion taken in the luangwa valley this year. Can I please have some help with ageing this lion.

IMG_4721.JPG
IMG_4732.JPG
IMG_4733.JPG
IMG_4722.JPG

Tough part is that it has been cooked.
Assuming the color did not change from the cooking I'd guess at 10+

I'd also have liked to have seen the top of the skull to see the knitting.

Any pictures on the hoof?

Tough part is that it has been cooked.
Assuming the color did not change from the cooking I'd guess at 10+
+1
Any pictures of the Lion?

+1
Any pictures of the Lion?
I've sent the skull to ZAWA for their normal ageing procedure after which I will do a full hunt report which will include pictures of the lion. Brickburns estimation is pretty close. Three very experienced different local PHs have aged it at nine years old.

How to look at it?
Yellow teeth --> older than 4
Distal longitudinal ridge at back of canines (typically not visible before the lion is dead) chipped --> > 6 years (often chipped at 5-6, but here completely chipped)
Tooth wear:
All teeth show wear (look at those incisors! broken upper left canine), but no teeth missing (often the case when 9+ years) --> 7-9 years.
At 5-6 years of age the upper P2 (small first tooth behind canine), and lower p3 (again first tooth behind canine) would show little wear but they show considerable wear here, indicating a few years beyond 6.

Overall I would age him 8-9 years. I would have guessed 9+ if there was a tooth missing. Overall my guess is that this wasn't a difficult assessment in the field if this was a good lion to take or not.

How to look at it?
Yellow teeth --> older than 4
Distal longitudinal ridge at back of canines (typically not visible before the lion is dead) chipped --> > 6 years (often chipped at 5-6, but here completely chipped)
Tooth wear:
All teeth show wear (look at those incisors! broken upper left canine), but no teeth missing (often the case when 9+ years) --> 7-9 years.
At 5-6 years of age the upper P2 (small first tooth behind canine), and lower p3 (again first tooth behind canine) would show little wear but they show considerable wear here, indicating a few years beyond 6.

Overall I would age him 8-9 years. I would have guessed 9+ if there was a tooth missing. Overall my guess is that this wasn't a difficult assessment in the field if this was a good lion to take or not.

Thanks a lot for your contribution Steven. Learnt quite abit from it. I can't wait to post the pictures but have been kindly asked by the outfitter to wait for ZAWAS own assessment first for obvious reasons. There was no doubt in the PHs mind once he saw the trail cam pictures. He was a loner and known to the trackers but was left to feed for three days to see whether any other pride members would join him. I was itching to take him and when I finally got my chance, my 416 Rigby didn't disappoint.

Last edited:
There have been some advances and simplification in the area of lion aging. Its actually really simple now.

First, you look at the mane and make sure it is one that you like.

Then, you grab hold as illustrated below.
  1. If the lion smiles it is still a breeding age lion and another trophy should be pursued
  2. If the lion looks bored (as the lion in the illustration), then it is past breeding age and is a shooter
Simply and straight forward!

IMG-20161213-WA0002.jpg

Should you have any additional questions please contact @gizmo as he has pioneered this new method.

Last edited:
Good stuff scored 60% first time in, but over under aged a few, so I feel good

There have been some advances and simplification in the area of lion aging. Its actually really simple now.

First, you look at the mane and make sure it is one that you like.

Then, you grab hold as illustrated below.
  1. If the lion smiles it is still a breeding age lion and another trophy should be pursued
  2. If the lion looks bored (as the lion in the illustration), then it is past breeding age and is a shooter
Simply and straight forward!

View attachment 166233

Should you have any additional questions please contact @gizmo as he has pioneered this new method.
Probably a good way to judge if it's mature

I don't know if this is the right section but I try. I have a lion's fang and I wanted to know more about the goodness and age of the animal. unfortunately he is without a skull, he always has been "he was not hunted by me". in my opinion it is the left canine of the lower arch and it could be a 7/8 year old lion. what can you tell me? ps: sorry for the poor quality of the photos.

WhatsApp Image 2020-04-03 at 11.37.33.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-04-03 at 11.37.33-4.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-04-03 at 11.37.33-2.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-04-03 at 11.37.32-3.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-04-03 at 11.37.33-5.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
outlookindia012

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg