Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI, NRA,Oregon Hunters Assoc.
Hunted
USA, Zimbabwe, Australia, Mozambique, Namibia, Canada & South Africa
I drew a Bighorn Sheep tag for Oregon, does anybody have good advice on judging the horns, I know a few things to look for but this is a once in a lifetime tag so I don't want to screw it up.

watermark.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are a few tips for judging California Bighorns, I may be wrong but I believe the species are the same in Orgeon.

This link takes you to a YouTube Oregon Sheep hunt video:

YouTube -Bighorn Sheep in Oregon

Mass over length: Because a ram has four circumference measurements versus one length measurement per horn, good mass is critical.

Blocky bodies, thick necks: As with most other big game animals, trophy rams are most often mature creatures that are potbellied, swaybacked and thick-necked.

Promising curls: Look for full curls that come down below the bottom of the jaw and sweep back up beyond the sheep's nose or even higher.

Horn length: Most record book thinhorns will typically sport horns measuring 35 to 40 inches in length. World-class rams sometimes measure in the mid-40s or better; in fact, the world record Stone sheep (the Chadwick ram) sports horns measuring more than 50 inches on both sides! Bighorn trophies will often tape out at 35 to 40 inches, with a few mega rams approaching 45 inches in horn length.

Base circumferences: If thinhorns are king when it comes to horn length, bighorns are tops for mass. Look for base measurements of 14 to 17 inches on bighorn sheep. For thinhorns, top end rams will have base measurements from 13 to just under 15 inches.

Unbroomed and unbroken tips: For better symmetry, and thus, less deductions, look for rams that sport clean tips that haven't been broken or worn down.

Hope this helps.

bashaw ~ First of all, congratulations on your bighorn tag! I lucked out on a tag in New Mexico a few years ago and it was a super wilderness hunt. As Macs mentioned above, mass is very important on the bighorns. Hope you have a super hunt and don't forget to post a photo of your trophy.

Thanks macsB I looked at some of the youtube videos this morning I just got back from my first scouting trip late last night after looking at the video some of the Rams I seen over the previous 4 days that I was most interested in were about 160 - 175. the biggest problem I seen was if I find a shooter, is not getting mixed up in all the excitement and shooting the wrong one.

Bashaw

"Weidmansheil"

10 more days until my Bighorn hunt . I've been waiting for 30 some years. I'm heading over to the Owyhee country next Thursday scout for 4 days hopefully shoot one opening day if not I have 13 days after that

Bashaw,

May you bag a record class Bighorn , I can well imagine the excitement waiting for the hunt of a life time ...

Best of luck , shall be awaiting for the hunt report & the a colossal Big Horn trophy photo. What rifle you intend taking ??

Monish

Ruger #17mm REM Mag, my backup gun will be my Remington 700 BDL 338 Win Mag that is probably overkill for a sheep hunt but that gun treats me nice

Good luck and a great hunt!!

Great Caliber choice for the big horn...

Best of luck

Monish

. . . my backup gun will be my Remington 700 BDL 338 Win Mag that is probably overkill for a sheep hunt but that gun treats me nice

There is no 'overkill'. If you're comfortable with a rifle and it treats you well you should use it. I used that same phrase long ago and my buddy said; "you can't make something more dead than it already is." That always stuck with me.

Time is near and I'll bet you're chomping at the bit. Best of luck for a truly great hunt!

I killed my Bighorn Sept 7 at 11:10 am 1 shot from my 7mm mag right thru the middle of the back laying in his bed at 335 yds he had 15 5/8 and 15 4/8 bases 30 inch horns his net score was 161.I enjoyed the hunt with 3 friends it was a awesome trip. I'm hoping one of them or one of my relatives is fortunate to draw a tag so I can go experience it with them.

good for you post some pics I would love to see them

Well done!! I am sure it was a great hunt!

Bashaw, congratulations on your very successful hunt!

How to Measure Sheep Horns For SCI's Record Book

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross