AZDAVE

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa,Namibia, Alaska,lower 48
Good morning all, it is a cold rainy day in AZ so thought I would put together a post on a unique little double rifle, cape gun, double ristol (You decide) I came across a unique little rifle in a shop here in arizona. It is a restored and updated Cape Gun. The rifle started off as a 9.3x72R and 16 bore. It has 22in barrels and 14in LOP, balances between the hands and grabbed my attention even more than the 470NE double that was sitting beside it. It has had the barrels reblued, and the 16 bore was lined to a 45 Long Colt/410 shotgun. The action recolor cased and the stock set freshened up. Based on the original proof marks it was finished and final proffed in may 1910. The barrels are sharp and clear rifling. Not sure who did the work but they did top rate work. I had my local master gunsmith check it out and he was impressed.

I located brass and dies for the 9.3 and have some 410 shot and slugs on the shelf, along with a box of 45LC. Really looking forward to getting it out to the range. I should have the brass and dies here next week.

IMG_4328.JPG
IMG_4329.JPG
IMG_4330.JPG
IMG_4331.JPG
IMG_4332.JPG
IMG_4334.JPG

Very cool gun

Those old "Krouts" did a lot of strange things with firearms. Hope you enjoy using it on hogs or something.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-09 at 8.55.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-09 at 8.55.44 AM.png
    688.7 KB · Views: 179
Note the pop up peep sight at the rear of the top tang and the safety for the thumb of the right hand.
There is also a marked similarity of the receiver with the Simson Co Suhl and Merkels of the same era. Cool, eh?

The late 1890 through the start of WW1 there were some really interesting rifles made and some of the best rounds ever invented.
That 45/90 looks like an old work horse. I am betting that allot of stags fell to some jager along with a boar or 12.

Now that is a nice find, if only these pieces could talk.

Now that is a nice find, if only these pieces could talk.
Indeed!
A close look at the SS .45-90 reveals many small dents and scratches in the wood and similar wear signs on the metal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieRiggs

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross