Joseph Rodgers & Sons

observe

Contributor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
SAHGCA [Skilled Hunter qualified-Cum Laude], Handgun Hunters Association of SA, SAGA, Primitive hunting [Spear @ Bow]
Hunted
R.S.A,Namibia,Venda
I inherited and then consequently 'mislaid' my grandfather’s [Willem J. Pretorius] Joseph Rodgers pocket knife that my father gave me many years ago. It’s older than me!

josep rodgers.jpg

While preparing for my annual winter 'primitive' solo hunting trip during 2018, by pure luck I found it again hidden deep at the back of my safe.

Remembering all the hunting stories my father told me about my grandfather [including a Buffalo and even a lion at one time], and the camp chores this little pocket knife performed back in the day [skinning, meat preparation, biltong etc], I couldn't help but admiring that little beauty again.

I wish I could know more about all the stories this pocket knife with the well-used blades could tell! In later years numerous cattle, sheep, pigs and chickens were processed on the farm by this little knife!

As I stood there with my new lost and found little treasure in my hand, I really felt that I must now step up to the plate...

I was fortunate enough to find my own Joseph Rodgers pocket knife at the nice corner Outdoor shop in Nylstroom.

My hunting plans changed to become a 4 day 3 night solo camping and hunting trip with my primitive Gemsbokhorn bow [..this story is somewhere here as well...] in the Waterberge of the Limpopo Bushveld. My intended prey were Impala and Warthog.

13325673_243415836021249_3391666644224442818_n.jpg

39580646_1930896320546576_1074892815105785856_n.jpg

The other aim of this nostalgic 'back to basics' hunting trip was to do ALL the cutting work during these couple of days using only my little Joseph Rodgers pocket knife. [..a bit like Grandpa used to do ..]

To make a long campfire story short, I did achieve to do all the camping, skinning, meat processing and eating jobs with only this little knife!

[I cheated a bit though, as I took a small pocket Lansky sharpener with me to ensure I always have a sharp blade available]

20190806_135809.jpg

My conclusion after 4 days--how much knife [blade] do the average guy really need camping and hunting in this day and age anyway?

[Of course more extreme rough camping [Safari's] will definitely require an ax, saw, panga and belt knife etc]

I am very happy that I could in a small way stepped into the shoes of my grandfather and rein-act in a limited way his hunting and camping way of life ---- especially using the same historical pocket knife like his, the way he used it long ago.

IMG_0897.JPG

These two Joseph Rodger pocket knives now will became one of the campfire stories to my own grandchildren one day, and hopefully it will kindle the little spark for adventure and the outdoors in them as well!

18518438_410752032620961_2032792336_n.jpg

I've done that with my car.

Family heirlooms are an important tie to our individual heritage. Glad you found your knife!

The only thing my father inherited from his father was a Camillus three blade pocket knife. Evidently it's primary use was to cut chews off grandpa's tobacco plug. My father remembered his father using it from his earliest memories, so the knife would be over 100 years old now. My father carried it from the 1950's and the knife did many jobs not always meant for a knife. The tip has been broken and reground. I have now had it over 20 years and do not carry it on a regular basis. I do know where it is however.;)

Willem, it is interesting that we both have our grandfather's pocket knives and we have 60 year old Solingen sheath knives from when we were youngsters. We may be more alike than we realize.:)

Thanks for the thread. I'm happy for you!

Best knife to use for eating sheeps head baked in the oven or pot......

Best knife to use for eating sheeps head baked in the oven or pot......
I am familiar with the Joseph Rodgers pocket knives. There was a Bunny knife and Stockman available in Australia.
I’m not sure the baked sheep’s head is so common here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross