Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Life Member DSC and SCI
Hunted
RSA East Cape 3X, NW Province, Mozambique, NZ 2X, Namibia 2X, Mongolia
My brother and I are hunting elk and mountain lion in NE Utah in Sept and wanted to drop our hides and horns at Jonas Bros. on the way back to Texas. I know they're one of the oldest studios but have changed hands. Anyone use them lately?

I have used that studio in the Denver area twice before, although not recently. I had work done in 2010 and 2011, 2 elk and 2 mule deer, all 4 turned out amazing! The outfitter I used in Colorado suggested them and that where he still gets his personal work done, all good stuff. Cant comment on changing hands or not, but can say the work was great a few yeas back.

By the way best of luck to you and your brother on the hunt!

Thank you sir!

IMG_8534.JPG
My brother and I are hunting elk and want mountain lion in NE Utah in Sept and wanted to drop our hides and horns at Jonas Bros. on the way back to Texas. I know they're one of the oldest studios but have changed hands. Anyone use them lately?

Hi
Not going to give you any info on the Jonas Bros. but if you want a cat done you should look at Dennis at Artistry of Wildlife. I have already said that if I ever get a Mountain Lion it will go here.
Dennis has one of my trophies now and I think it is ok to show you this Mountain Lion done by him. You can't do better!
Tom

I agree with Dennis. However, if you want to drop them on your return to Texas you also might look at Jerry Huffaker in Abilene. He is also a World Champion.

Wife had an Impala done in 2016 turned out perfect and a beautiful zebra shoulder mount in2006..They also recieved ourAfrican shipment for us..Was very happy with them..That was our xperience..

Hello sir, I'm in Amarillo Tx and own Top of Texas Taxidermy also, I would be glad to do your elk. Here is the last elk I completed a month or so ago. It's actually on a Jonas form. May save you quite a bit in both Taxidermy and shipping. I built the entire base from scratch and all of the habitat I did right here in my shop. No ready made cheap looking stuff here.

IMG_3108.JPG

To specifically answer your question Jonas studio does very good work they just tend to be quite pricey.

Hutch01

If you don't mind me asking who are you having your Red Stags done by? That one is a monster great mass.

Tom

I've used Mike Simpson Conroe Taxidermy for most. They have a relationship with Worldwide Energy Logistics (WEL) which also specializes in trophy import. They do a good job. That stag scored 70 points more than we originally thought, but even 500 plus inch estate stags are not such a big deal anymore.

If you look at SCI book there's a 900 plus!

+ 1 on Top of Texas Taxidermy.

I have my African trophies at Jonas as I write. I hunted RSA last July, had some backskins tanned there, so it wasn't until early Feb this year that my crate arrived. So, it has now been 6 months & my capes are still not back from the tannery. I emailed Jonas a few times, the guy I sat down with initially is gone, so his replacement has just said the tannery is backed up. I wish I could at least get an estimate of when. I still expect good work to be done, but I'm probably 3 more months minimum before I see the first one. Right now I just hope to have them by Christmas, a year & a half later, & hope the capes are good! I'm so disappointed in the delay & lack of updates that I decided to have the Namibian trophies that I just took last month be done at Kings Taxidermy in Namibia. I won't save any money by the time I pay the higher crating & shipping, but they said I should have them before a year is up. I take that back, I may save money because they told me at Jonas two weeks ago their prices on African mounts are going up soon. My buddy who went to RSA with me last year, had his taxidermy done there & they are hanging on his wall already, since last month, received in a year. He says they look fine & pictures he sent look good to me. Are others experiencing long waits within the US? Are there fewer tanneries or just more people getting taxidermy done?

I have my African trophies at Jonas as I write. I hunted RSA last July, had some backskins tanned there, so it wasn't until early Feb this year that my crate arrived. So, it has now been 6 months & my capes are still not back from the tannery. I emailed Jonas a few times, the guy I sat down with initially is gone, so his replacement has just said the tannery is backed up. I wish I could at least get an estimate of when. I still expect good work to be done, but I'm probably 3 more months minimum before I see the first one. Right now I just hope to have them by Christmas, a year & a half later, & hope the capes are good! I'm so disappointed in the delay & lack of updates that I decided to have the Namibian trophies that I just took last month be done at Kings Taxidermy in Namibia. I won't save any money by the time I pay the higher crating & shipping, but they said I should have them before a year is up. I take that back, I may save money because they told me at Jonas two weeks ago their prices on African mounts are going up soon. My buddy who went to RSA with me last year, had his taxidermy done there & they are hanging on his wall already, since last month, received in a year. He says they look fine & pictures he sent look good to me. Are others experiencing long waits within the US? Are there fewer tanneries or just more people getting taxidermy done?

I recently got a blackbuck back. It was dropped off mid-November, and I got it back last week, so right at 9 months. The outfitter I hunted sent a lot of work that way, and usually got things back 4-5 months later. They blamed the delay on the tannery they were using.

My brother and I are hunting elk and mountain lion in NE Utah in Sept and wanted to drop our hides and horns at Jonas Bros. on the way back to Texas. I know they're one of the oldest studios but have changed hands. Anyone use them lately?

They sold their business to someone else. From what I've heard, some folks were caught up in the change (they dropped off with Jonas and then it was sold and they haven't heard from the new owners, or their trophies were delayed a year) and are none too happy....

I don't know if the new company is any good, haven't heard much. I'd reach out to them before you try to use them.

GOOD IDEA!!!

I D BE REAL LAEARY. They love blaming the tannery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanMatt

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg