Joining the 404 Jeffrey Cult

I've done it again. I couldn't help myself. I've bought yet another rifle I don't need.
I give you....the Parker Hale 404 Jeffrey. Unfired with factory tag still hanging on the trigger guard.
I sent the check out today, so once the rifle arrives, there will be more pictures to come.
Now that that's over with, who among you are in the 404 Jeffrey cult? What bullets do you use? Do you push your loads to 2350 fps, or stick with 2150 fps? Also, let's see some animals taken with the 404, and let's see your 404 rifles.
View attachment 317131 View attachment 317132 View attachment 317133 View attachment 317134

what happened to the new Double?!

Here is my 404 with the buffalo I got this year in the Save hunting with Mokore. It was built on a VZ24 action, LW barrel, and wood from Roger Vardy. All put together by Piper Rifles in Az. I did the stock finishing. Used 400gr. North Fork softs and solids at 2300 fps, rifle weighs 8.5# and is a joy to carry and shoot.
xZ15rAEl.jpg

b0nqpUcl.jpg

Attachments

• b0nqpUcl.jpg
    b0nqpUcl.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 95
  • xZ15rAEl.jpg
    xZ15rAEl.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 100
Proneshooter, did you post this hunt? That is a nice looking 404 Jeffery you got there. What were the stats on the buffalo? What load did you use?

Hi Proneshooter,

Like your rifle!!! To me an IDEAL configuration for ANY hunting rifle in ANY cartridge-caliber. Congratulation!

Merry Christmas!

CF

Here is my 404 with the buffalo I got this year in the Save hunting with Mokore. It was built on a VZ24 action, LW barrel, and wood from Roger Vardy. All put together by Piper Rifles in Az. I did the stock finishing. Used 400gr. North Fork softs and solids at 2300 fps, rifle weighs 8.5# and is a joy to carry and shoot.
xZ15rAEl.jpg

b0nqpUcl.jpg
Is that 8.5 lbs with or without the scope?

Proneshooter, did you post this hunt? That is a nice looking 404 Jeffery you got there. What were the stats on the buffalo? What load did you use?
No Sir I did not post the report here but did on another site. It was a non trophy hunt but the bull measured 37". Load data: Norma brass, Fed. 215 Mag. primer, 82gr. H 4350 with the NF 400 soft and 80gr. H 4350 with the NF CPS. First shot was a soft at 40 yds. through the heart, got one solid in as he ran. Found him down about 80 yds. away. Hell of a blood trail, Stevie Wonder could have tracked him.

Toby: 8.5 pounds with the scope, but an empty mag. Many at our local club think I'm nuts for how much I shoot this rifle. It fits so well the recoil is almost pleasant.

I'm sure you will enjoy your new rifle. I love both of mine, one of which was a M 70 375 H&H prior to being converted. I found the following very helpful and suggest you consider doing the same. Build 4 inert rounds and repeatedly cycle them through the magazine to make sure everything works according to hoyle.

@Shootist43 Thanks for the comments, I am anxious to check the feed. The gunsmith Dennis Olsen is supposed to be pretty good at getting the feeding correct. He has a box of A-Frames to fire and cycle and i will be sure to test on my own. I will be taking my 375HH to Zimbabwe in June for PG and the 404 is for my next trip in 2021 for bigger things. I’ll have a good year to play with it.

Tucketed, I believe 375 Ruger Fan's 404 Jeffery was done by Dennis Olsen as well. I've not heard anything negative about it. Are you going to be reloading for it? I have a recipe that produces sub MOA groups in multiple rifles is you want it.

Shootist, he also built a 404 for @Custom. He seems to be a standup guy and haven’t heard any negatives. He has done quite a few 404 conversions. I had assumed I needed a Ultra mag but he said that the only gain using the Ultra is you don’t need to buy a new box which is pretty reasonable from Brownells. If I didn’t have him carve a new stock it’s actually a pretty good way to go if you have or can find a reasonable M70 in 375. Anybody thinking about it should reach out to him. Regarding reloading. I don’t but will start this year. I figure with the difficulty getting what you want i need to. Is your load the same as @Von Gruff? I thought I would try it using A-Frames. I also would like to load some matching solids and A-Frames for my 375. I have reloaded a lot of shotgun shells but no rifle.

Tucketed, you are correct about the load. It was Von Gruff that gave it to me. Whereas he used Woodleighs, I used Swift A Frames. Sub MOA groups nevertheless. He predicted 2300 FPS. My three shots were 2300, 2309 then 2306. Two bullets shared a hole and a half the third shot was less than a bullet dia. lower. With that kind of performance I saw no need to look further.

Excellent caliber.

I hope they spell Jeffery correctly on the rifle.....

Tucketed, you are correct about the load. It was Von Gruff that gave it to me. Whereas he used Woodleighs, I used Swift A Frames. Sub MOA groups nevertheless. He predicted 2300 FPS. My three shots were 2300, 2309 then 2306. Two bullets shared a hole and a half the third shot was less than a bullet dia. lower. With that kind of performance I saw no need to look further.
I shot RWS solids to the same usable POA as the Woodleigh softs so the Jeffery seems to be a very forgiving cartridge to load for. My barrel had a 14 twist.

Congrats @TOBY458, very nice gun!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MorrisFloc

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg