Joining the 404 Jeffrey Cult

TOBY458

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
I've done it again. I couldn't help myself. I've bought yet another rifle I don't need.
I give you....the Parker Hale 404 Jeffrey. Unfired with factory tag still hanging on the trigger guard.
I sent the check out today, so once the rifle arrives, there will be more pictures to come.
Now that that's over with, who among you are in the 404 Jeffrey cult? What bullets do you use? Do you push your loads to 2350 fps, or stick with 2150 fps? Also, let's see some animals taken with the 404, and let's see your 404 rifles.
20191206_134502.jpg
IMG_4750.jpg
IMG_4749.jpg
IMG_4751.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on the new addition! I hope to join the club someday as well!

Nice find, congrats! Does that mean you decided against the K-gun?

Nice find, congrats! Does that mean you decided against the K-gun?
Thanks! I've been kicking around the want for a 404 for awhile now, so I figured I'd try this one out. Seems to be a nice rifle judging by the pictures. The K gun is still on the list, but may have to wait awhile now. Unless I find a screaming deal on one of course.

I've got a MRC 404 Jeffery on the way. I loaded some Barnes 400g TSX with 69 g of 4064 for about 2150 fps. Welcome to the clan and congrats on a fine looking piece.

great caliber

Welcome to the club!!

Attachments

• tenor.gif
    tenor.gif
    3.1 MB · Views: 127
Toby, I have owned an RSM .404J for three years now. The previous owner converted a RSM .375 HH to the .404. When I bought it I sent it to a smith in Alabama to bring it back to near original looks of an RSM, except as a .404. I mounted a Weaver Dangerous Game 1x5 scope on it. For just range time with it, I shoot factory Hornady or Nosler through it. Soft nose or solids doesn't matter, but 400 gr. For hunting my son loads me Barnes 400 gr TSX. 72 gr IMR 4064, CCI 250 Primer, COL 3.50, Hornady brass at 2150 fps. It is zeroed one inch high at 100 yds, giving me a nearly identical POI at 50, 100, 150 yards. (Recommended by one of our members who has killed many buffalos). The buff cow on the left was shot center of chest at 90 yards. She ran 30 yards and rolled over dead. No second shot needed.

Barnes TXS on Buffalo.jpg
DSCF3386.JPG
GetAttachmentThumbnail.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What bullets do you use? Do you push your loads to 2350 fps, or stick with 2150 fps?

Congratulations on picking it up. Looks like it will be a fine rifle for you.

I don't reload, and use Norma. A Frames and Woodleigh solids.

Practice with Hornady. What else.:D

Will your new moniker be TOBY404?

Welcome to the club! We ought to come up with a secret handshake or something like that.

I'm going to shake hands with everyone at DSC this year and see if I can tell who's in the secret 404 society. Lol!

No need for a secret handshake, just make a loud noise and see who flinches... Or look in their eyes for detached retinas...
Nice gun, great caliber. Hope you enjoy it and get to use it often.

Congratulations on picking it up. Looks like it will be a fine rifle for you.

I don't reload, and use Norma. A Frames and Woodleigh solids.

Practice with Hornady. What else.:D

Will your new moniker be TOBY404?
I ordered some Hornady factory loads today. 400 grain DGX Bonded. Should work to run the gun through it's paces. Hmmm.....Toby9.3,375,404,416,458 has a ring to it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandaokelle05

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg