AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
to all,

i agonized a while over where to post this. i suspect this is the correct venue. i am reading "hunter" copyright 1952. his words are heavy and prophetic:

pg 190 "This was not my only rhino hunt. As more and more demands were made by the natives for fresh land, I was sent back time and time again. At the time of this writing, I have shot over a thousand rhino. Is it worth killing off the strange and marvelous animals just to clear a few more acres for a people that are ever on the increase? I do not know. But I know this. The time will come when there is no more land to be cleared. What will be done then? In the meantime the inevitable clash between men and beast presents a problem and a headache."

his words carry weight on every continent. regarding every animal, especially mega-fauna that do not play well with others.

i read this and was saddened by what has been lost. I also am honest enough to know i am part of the problem. i want a house, some land, a garden. when i acquire those things, a wild animal is denied access to those acres.

an honest look into the past. imagine, if some one today had killed 1,000 rhinos? his blood would be called for!

the ultimate lesson i suspect is; appreciate what you have now. possibly in 50 or 100 years, this time period will be also be regarded as a historic period for hunting as well. as more of us live on this rock, spinning and traveling thru space, we take up more and more room. what will be left for the game? good on the forward thinking land owners/stewards that protect the land for the game.

just wanted to share a great book, and make some of us recognize the gift that we DO have.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
I love this book. Coincidentally, I’m reading it again right now too. There are a number of passages that are prophetic and hold true today, just as they did a hundred years ago.

Imfolozi Park Boundary. Without the park.....

Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 10.36.57 PM.png

This grass is tall enough to almost hide Elephants. Incredible place.

IMG_4788.jpg

i read this and was saddened by what has been lost. I also am honest enough to know i am part of the problem. i want a house, some land, a garden. when i acquire those things, a wild animal is denied access to those acres.

an honest look into the past. imagine, if some one today had killed 1,000 rhinos? his blood would be called for!

By today, we have developed and learned the formula for conservation, for the countries, men and ears that want to hear and understand.
Give the animals economic value, make a program of sustainable use, legalise and the great species will survive.
This already happened in many countries and regions, USA, Europe, Namibia, South Africa.

Unfortunately in many parts of the world such way of thinking has not yet been developed.

Thank you for posting this, sir.
Reading it again, makes a man to look back and rethink our contemporary moment in history and our present role on the Earth, again.

to all,

i agonized a while over where to post this. i suspect this is the correct venue. i am reading "hunter" copyright 1952. his words are heavy and prophetic:

pg 190 "This was not my only rhino hunt. As more and more demands were made by the natives for fresh land, I was sent back time and time again. At the time of this writing, I have shot over a thousand rhino. Is it worth killing off the strange and marvelous animals just to clear a few more acres for a people that are ever on the increase? I do not know. But I know this. The time will come when there is no more land to be cleared. What will be done then? In the meantime the inevitable clash between men and beast presents a problem and a headache."

his words carry weight on every continent. regarding every animal, especially mega-fauna that do not play well with others.

the ultimate lesson i suspect is; appreciate what you have now. possibly in 50 or 100 years, this time period will be also be regarded as a historic period for hunting as well. as more of us live on this rock, spinning and traveling thru space, we take up more and more room. what will be left for the game? good on the forward thinking land owners/stewards that protect the land for the game.

just wanted to share a great book, and make some of us recognize the gift that we DO have.

I’m one who could not ever shoot a rhino.

By today, we have developed and learned the formula for conservation, for the countries, men and ears that want to hear and understand.
Give the animals economic value, make a program of sustainable use, legalise and the great species will survive.
This already happened in many countries and regions, USA, Europe, Namibia, South Africa.

Unfortunately in many parts of the world such way of thinking has not yet been developed.

Thank you for posting this, sir.
Reading it again, makes a man to look back and rethink our contemporary moment in history and our present role on the Earth, again.

+1

To refine the idea a touch: as long as enough people are willing to pay for the privilege of hunting wild tracks of land we will see a benefit. I think we are paying for that, not just the animal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois