Johannesburg to Windhoek

Lori
Is the KLM route better than Frankfurt? If so tell us why please.
I am considering doing something different next trip.
Philip
It's definitely something to consider - there is a long layover in Amsterdam (normally a little shorter than Frankfurt) on the way over but arrival and departure times into Windhoek are nice. All on Delta/KLM flights so bags should check through in each direction of travel. I just normally see that the Frankfurt/Air Namibia direct to Windhoek route prices a lot higher than some of these other options. There is always the issue with guns in Frankfurt because depending on where you depart from, your bags may not check all the way through to Windhoek so it can be a run around with customs going through there.

It's definitely something to consider - there is a long layover in Amsterdam (normally a little shorter than Frankfurt) on the way over but arrival and departure times into Windhoek are nice. All on Delta/KLM flights so bags should check through in each direction of travel. I just normally see that the Frankfurt/Air Namibia direct to Windhoek route prices a lot higher than some of these other options. There is always the issue with guns in Frankfurt because depending on where you depart from, your bags may not check all the way through to Windhoek so it can be a run around with customs going through there.
Hi Lori
Unless the rules have changed for going through Amsterdam, you must have permits for guns to even pass through Amsterdam, even with them checked through. This permit request has to be sent in 8 weeks prior. Have the rules changed?

Hi Lori
Unless the rules have changed for going through Amsterdam, you must have permits for guns to even pass through Amsterdam, even with them checked through. This permit request has to be sent in 8 weeks prior. Have the rules changed?
That's correct - a transit permit is required and the application is an email process now and no fee involved. They have been turning them around fairly quickly but I recommend submitting 6-8 weeks in advance of your departure date.

Thanks Lori, a must to know for anyone thinking of taking that route!

On that US-Frankfurt-WH route, which airline is used on the US-Frankfurt leg? How competitive is it with the Delta ATL-JB-WH prices?

Those Transit permits can be a real pain, I was close to not getting mine after trying for about a month, Thank God Lori stepped in and and got the Permit with less than 24hrs before my flight.
It pays to have a real Pro working for you,.Namibia in 2 years Lori, Remember, even number window seat left side of the Plane

On that US-Frankfurt-WH route, which airline is used on the US-Frankfurt leg? How competitive is it with the Delta ATL-JB-WH prices?
U.S to Frankfurt will be either Lufthansa or United. Sorry but can't help you with the price comparison!

You’ll have to get a travel agent to get the prices for you on this one. I want to go DFW-FRA-WDH if possible on my next trip. There is a long layover on the way going but not on the way back. Lori said the Air Namibia flight is expensive though so when I get closer to time we will have to check. I also an concerned if Lufthansa-Air Namibia can be put on same ticket so that bags/guns can be checked through.
Philip

There are a number of airlines that you can use for the US-Frankfurt leg. I don't normally see that this route is very competitive with the Delta or South African Air direct routes.

You’ll have to get a travel agent to get the prices for you on this one. I want to go DFW-FRA-WDH if possible on my next trip. There is a long layover on the way going but not on the way back. Lori said the Air Namibia flight is expensive though so when I get closer to time we will have to check. I also an concerned if Lufthansa-Air Namibia can be put on same ticket so that bags/guns can be checked through.
Philip
Lufthansa and Air Namibia should be able to run on the same ticket and they do currently have a baggage agreement (always subject to change). It's when you have another airline involved, liked starting with United to Lufthansa to Air Namibia - in this case United and Air Namibia don't have a baggage agreement so bags won't check all the way through. It's complicated - lol!!!

I don't yet. I am just trying to make the flights work using points and am still looking at options. I wanted to avoid spending the night and traveling again the next day, but that may not be a reality. I'm not sure I can check bags all the way there if I have to change airlines.

Thank you to everyone for the input, I appreciate all of it.

If you have to change airlines make sure that the airlines have an airline baggage agreement . Also that your connecting airline carries firearms.

KLM, Air Ethiopia and possibly others fly into Windhoek avoiding OTR Johannesburg.

Thanks for addressing my question. I will seek to avoid JBurg in the future. Not sure when I will get to go back, but Lori will get my business. Thank you Lori.

Philip

If not for some problems at work this year, I would have been those flights a couple of days ago on a work/free-time trip. It's all on one ticket. Myself, I would take the business Qatar flights.

Last trip we went NY to Joe burg On South African...long (14 n half ) but best airline I have been on..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lepani

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!