Johannesburg Guns at Hotels

Tucketed

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
I know a number of hotels accept guns in Johannesburg. With the higher end hotels do they accept?
Thank you

I know a number of hotels accept guns in Johannesburg. With the higher end hotels do they accept?
Thank you
Hello Sir,

Do you mean which hotels in Jo'burg are able to offer gun storage or import assist services?

African Sky will store your rifles in a vault. It’s a very nice place. They offer airport pickup and great meals onsite.
+1 on Africa Sky. They are extremely helpful, and about 10 minutes from the airport. It reminded me of a small resort.

Afton House is another one that is mentioned frequently on here.

When it was necessary to stay over at Citilodge in Joburg, always took our rifles with us to our room. Never had a problem.

Drove all over SA last year, stayed at hotels, B&B, African Sky, even 4 nights in Kruger had guns with me in room, locked in car trunk or with SA Park locks when in parks. Never a problem, this was all OK'd with SAPs as my firearm import permit was for 2+ months even though hunt was 21 days. No issues anywhere. Being Canadian I did have trigger locks and guns locked in airline approved case and kept out of sight always.

On the other side, when planning this trip I was up front with places and stated we were travelling with guns, 2 places, one in Gansbaai and one in Cape Town both replied in email that we were not welcome, find other accommodations. They were anti hunting. A shock for us being its SA.

MB

Drove all over SA last year, stayed at hotels, B&B, African Sky, even 4 nights in Kruger had guns with me in room, locked in car trunk or with SA Park locks when in parks. Never a problem, this was all OK'd with SAPs as my firearm import permit was for 2+ months even though hunt was 21 days. No issues anywhere. Being Canadian I did have trigger locks and guns locked in airline approved case and kept out of sight always.

On the other side, when planning this trip I was up front with places and stated we were travelling with guns, 2 places, one in Gansbaai and one in Cape Town both replied in email that we were not welcome, find other accommodations. They were anti hunting. A shock for us being its SA.

MB

I would never travel through South Africa with a firearm inside a vehicle unless I could leave a person with the vehicle at all times when I wasn't with it. There is just way too much crime going on even if your rifle cases are out of sight. The crook will see your luggage and figure that he will get something out of it and then find your firearms and he'll be gone.

As usual, thank you guys. My son and I will be doing a little travel prior to our hunt. I have called the hotel and reserve we will be staying in ( Four Seasons Westcliff and Madikwe Hills) this seems very common to them and they have facilities to lock them securely. While transporting we will not leave the vehicle and they will also be locked in their case. My other son will catch up a few days later for our hunt with Jacques Spammer JKO in the Kalahari area.

I would never travel through South Africa with a firearm inside a vehicle unless I could leave a person with the vehicle at all times when I wasn't with it. There is just way too much crime going on even if your rifle cases are out of sight. The crook will see your luggage and figure that he will get something out of it and then find your firearms and he'll be gone.
Maybe you have had some first hand bad SA experience to base your opinion? Maybe you have encountered first hand the crime you state about? Personally had your car broken into? We heard this all the time from media, and few on here, but never experienced anything of the sort. Was the same as people saying how dangerous it was to travel alone, we found that to also be BS. Never once did my sisters or I feel unsafe. Did same in Zim and Namibia some time ago, no issue.

I was in Military so very used to travel, keep your wits about you, stay alert and don't do stupid things (alcohol, drugs) and I have never had any issues. Your and my definition of way to much crime may be different? According to media many places are to dangerous, even here in Canada. I tend to see first and leave the fear mongering to the media.

That's just me, so glad we did another trip and yes will do again.

MB

@MarkB, Just a data point, Stayed at an upscale B&B in Richards Bay a few years back, either '18 or '19. It had twelve foot stone walls with electric wire. Thieves must have put a ladder up to a tree limb that hung over the wall, came over the top and broke in to two vehicles parked in the compound, not ten yards from the front door. Stole the in dash radios out of a Toyota SUV and an adjacent car.
Stopped at an eatery on the way from Port Elizabeth to Grahamstown and there was a sign that said something about making sure your vehicle was locked, jammers in use. In my travels to RSA, we never left an auto unattended or without a lot boy watching it.

I believe a couple of year back Africa Sky had an incident where someone went over the wall and tried unsuccessfully to break into a room and rob its occupants.

While I certainly liked Africa Sky - I mean were else are you going to breakfast and have both Ivan Carter and Johan Calitz there. That said, any return trip to Jo'burg is either City Lodge or Intercontinental at the Airport. Just not worth the risk too much crime around the airport and this is from someone who used Uber all around RSA. Also the convenance of having the train right at the airport.

I am not so naïve that I don't think there is crime all around. It can, is and will affect us all sooner than later. Hell my neighbour just had his trailer hitch/propane tanks/atv ramps taken from his truck and camper trailer. Its been in his driveway for years, that thief has been caught and boys in hood promise he wont steal another thing after he gets out of hospital then probation/jail? My house was broken into years ago, next day he tried my neighbors, bad mistake black belt crazy home owner Mike caught him trying to get out of window. Imagine the practice Mike had before 911 called. Most criminals never get caught, or damage many lives before they do. That's real.

No body and no place is totally safe in 2022, its a different world. For me I cannot live in fear of the one offs or perceived danger. Complete a threat assessment for yourself and travelling companions and plan from there. People are shot daily in Vancouver, I am still heading there Wed on my way to a 2 month northern BC safari. SA is the same, cant wait till next safari and tour.

MB

If you use Travel Express or Gracy Travel to book your flights, they can provide a consignee to deal with your firearms.

In my case, my safari company provided a guy to help me with everything involving firearms traveling through JNB to MOZ last year.

I would highly advise not trying to handle dealing with firearms while in JNB.

If you have the least bit of a temper, there is a good chance that your guns will be sitting at the police station at the JNB airport after you need to be hunting...

Something to remember is that our gun laws relating to safekeeping and being in direct control of your weapons are vastly different to those in Canada and the US. There was a report on this site about a year or two ago of a hunter travelling between two hunting properties. Guns in one vehicle with PH and he in another vehicle. The PH had a blow out and rolled the vehicle. The police wanted to arrest the hunter as he was not in direct control of his firearm. It took a great deal of manoeuvring to resolve the situation! So tell me how you think they will react when you've popped out for dinner and your firearm is stolen from your room closet....

Book at places that can secure your firearm PROPERLY and never leave it unattended in a vehicle. Vehicle theft (especially bakkies), theft from vehicles and remote jamming are everyday occurrences. You WILL have to answer for your actions and you can bet that your holiday will be spent worrying and frequent trips to the police station etc.

This is not scaremongering, just practical advice. Once you are on the hunting grounds 99% of these worries go away.

There is crime in every country and SA is safe for the most part. But lose your firearm and your holiday is going to be eventful for all the wrong reasons!

That being said, check out the websites of the hotels you are interested in and/or phone them. Most upscale hotels / lodges will accommodate you and your firearms safely.

MB
Yeah you get those everywhere it seems. some Cape people tend to be of the same cloth as some people from California...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glucoslime

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.