Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC
Hunted
Canada/Europe/Africa/14 US States
Anyone have first hand experience with City Lodge or Intercontinental Hotel? Besides cost and Quills lending itself to Inter. Hotel any other plus or minus between the two?
Appreciate the insight folks.

Nathan

I have stayed at the City Lodge many times. Clean, quiet, convenient and good value. Really good breakfast buffet with cook to order eggs, etc. Haven't stayed at the Intercontinental. When I go "upscale", I go to the African Rock (https://www.africanrockhotels.com/). My wife's favorite place near JNB.

have stayed at city lodge 6 times outstanding place.

Another vote for City Lodge. Stayed their four times.

I have stayed at Intercontinental, very nice hotel. More expensive then City Lodge of course. More convenient to the international terminal.

I have stayed at city lodge and found it to be a decent hotel st a decent price. When I have stayed there I have eaten dinner at Quills restaurant in the intercontinental. It is outstanding.

My preference is Africa Sky. It is pricey but worth every penny IMO.

I’ve stayed at the Intercontinental a few times. Close, clean, great service, great food, comfortable bed- basically all I was after when dead tired after the flight across from the US and missing the connecting flight to PLZ.
I’ve heard lots of great things about City Lodge as well though.
I think both options would work well.
Good luck with your decision.

Does the Intercontinental pick up and drop off?
Do they have a meet and greet?
Can they handle SAPS rifle permits?
Looking for options in 2020 to pass through on my way to Namibia.

I didn't see either offer these services but for us we are using RiflePermits service and they will walk us over to either hotel and ensure we are checked in, along with the meet/greet & permits.

No, sir. As far as I know, they dont. You could look at Riflepermits.Com, who will be able to take care of the meet and greet and SAPS importation procedures.
You would not need pick up or drop off as the Intercontinental is within walking distance. City Lodge is the alternative option.

All the best with your trip.

Another vote for City Lodge. Stayed their four times.
Appears they have a limited restaurant/deli on site to grab a bite. Did you end up eating there or head over to Quills?

I stayed at intercontinental. It is a very nice hotel. It is across the street from the international terminal so you won't need to be picked up. They have a driver available to take you places in Joberg. Quills is great, and there is a small cigar lounge at the hotel too. On my upcoming hunt I am using African Sky, just to compare.

I'm assuming neither place has an issue with checking in with firearms but you know how "assuming" goes.

I didn't see either offer these services but for us we are using RiflePermits service and they will walk us over to either hotel and ensure we are checked in, along with the meet/greet & permits.
I have always used RiflePermits, but I didn’t realize they would do that...NICE!

(1) No, just walk about 50 feet outside of the terminal. The free luggage trollies you can use to push your luggage to the hotel. They will take care of the cart for you, deliver your bags to you room and you can hand carry your firearm to your room if you so wish.
(2) Hire Riflepermits or one of the other permit companies to do that for you.

I have also stayed at Africa Sky too, and next trip it would be Intercontinental or City Lodge for me. Zero reason to stay off property. Need to go to Sandton or Rosebank, the Train leaves right from the Airport.

I use riflepermits and the Intercontinental is right across the street. On more than one occasion one of my party went straight to the hotel and brought back one of their porters with a cart to help us across the street. As far as riflepermits goes I use their meet and greet and pre-approved permit services. I walk into the SAPS office sign my permit and I’m out the door in 5 minute. Quite a relief after a long flight. Then to walk 100 yds to the hotel is even sweeter. Sure it’s more expensive than most options but in the grand scheme of things it’s a drop in the bucket and more than worth it IMO.

Anyone have first hand experience with City Lodge or Intercontinental Hotel? Besides cost and Quills lending itself to Inter. Hotel any other plus or minus between the two?
Appreciate the insight folks.

Nathan
Stayed at both many times. Intercontinental is, of course, very nice but I find I just don’t have enough time to really enjoy the hotel. I use my IHG points to get a room there most of the time. Quills restaurant at Intercontinental is very good. If I had to pay for it I would likely go with City Lodge. It is very nice and has good food. The rooms are small but it’s not much of an issue.
Both are right at the airport and I can recommend both.
Philip

Call Gracy Travel. Have them get your permits and purchase their meet & greet. They'll meet you before customs & immigration, afterwards hand you over to Bruce or Lucky who will assist in getting your bags and rifles, then roll your gear over to City Lodge across the street. Next morning they'll meet you at the hotel, roll your bags back to the airport and make sure you get checked in and on your way. It doesn't get any easier than that.

Appears they have a limited restaurant/deli on site to grab a bite. Did you end up eating there or head over to Quills?

Due to a late arrival, I ate dinner and then breakfast. Aside that, it's an easy walk back to the airport for chow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cazhino90

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg