Joburg OR Tambo Airport delays Oct 2016

Did they take you to a different line for VIP use only or just barge in front of the nearest line? Afraid I have a hard time wrapping my head around this.:rolleyes:o_O:eek:

I have seen plenty of folks slide off to the right side beyond the lines and slide right into an immigration officer and away they went. VIP's evidently.
or they had a hand full of "cold drinks"

With the new system in place, like Phil said, not so much.

Did they take you to a different line for VIP use only or just barge in front of the nearest line? Afraid I have a hard time wrapping my head around this.:rolleyes:o_O:eek:

Well kind of barge and also kind of a wink and a nod with the guys that work there. No kidding, after 4 trips to Tambo, I recognize some of the people at immigration. So those who are there regularly know seem to know what's going on.

Uh, once I get off the plane, I'm a resident. (y)

I have seen plenty of folks slide off to the right side beyond the lines and slide right into an immigration officer and away they went. VIP's evidently.
or they had a hand full of "cold drinks"

With the new system in place, like Phil said, not so much.

I think once there are enough complaints and someone starts LOSING money, we'll be back on the red carpet express.

Went through passport control at Tambo on Sept. 23 and it took two and a half hours, I believe they were stalling and being slow on purpose. One guy found a official and slipped him a bribe and he was whisked right through. On the return from Namibia on Oct. 10 it only took 45 minutes and they seemed to be trying to move people through. Leaving Tambo was not a problem either time.

Went through passport control at Tambo on Sept. 23 and it took two and a half hours, I believe they were stalling and being slow on purpose. One guy found a official and slipped him a bribe and he was whisked right through. On the return from Namibia on Oct. 10 it only took 45 minutes and they seemed to be trying to move people through. Leaving Tambo was not a problem either time.

Did you have to go through the biometrics system?

Neither time, they did a quick temp scan to check to see if you had a fever but that's all.

Neither time, they did a quick temp scan to check to see if you had a fever but that's all.

Wow, that does sound like something was up with their immigration people.

I'm flying down to Jhb tomorrow, will see how the system works.
I hope its not going to be a long delay.

Quick update, I landed in Jhb on Friday afternoon and the biometric system was obviously not working. Same old same old, stood 4th in the queue and still took 20 mins to get through immigration.
All things considered, immigration did have their hands full with family passengers not having correct paperwork and some children and mothers were being told they could not enter the country and would be taken to be put on the next plane out.
There were not many passenger either, no other flights had landed so no additional chaos there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SavannahDo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg