January Texas Trip

image.jpeg
Since we're talking about Texas hogs in this thread, I wanted to ask about this topic.

Are there any fair chase, no fence, DAYTIME hog hunts in Texas? I've been told that they are mostly diurnal and the places give you night vision and suppressed rifles as part of the fees. I'd be interested in trying Texas hogs if there was daytime sport to be had. Thoughts/comments?

Yes, my son shot this hog this past Thursday at 5:30, we generally see hogs most evenings and some at first light.

Since we're talking about Texas hogs in this thread, I wanted to ask about this topic.

Are there any fair chase, no fence, DAYTIME hog hunts in Texas? I've been told that they are mostly diurnal and the places give you night vision and suppressed rifles as part of the fees. I'd be interested in trying Texas hogs if there was daytime sport to be had. Thoughts/comments?

Everybody who has fair chase deer hunting in Texas has fair chase hogs ... we can't get rid of the ba$tards! I typically shot 3-5 per year from the deer stand! It is a little harder to do on the short turn around that you mentioned but I am certain you can find the right person.

"If you opt for a nilgai, most places require a 300 win mag as a minimum."
That may be true for places that shoot Nilgai running in an open field/prairie, but there are many places with good cover where you can to get closer.
My closest Nilgai kill was about 10 yards with a .405 WCF. My son shot his that day at about 25 yards with an AR. Put the bullet in the right place and they die quickly. The old fave of many hunters, the 30-06 will do the job nicely if you can shoot accurately.

One of my college buddies rammed them with a big brush guard on his pickup. He also shot any that he found on his ranch in the valley and left them for the ranch hands to pick up as they liked. It can be a matter of perspective. He told me they ate grass that was meant for his cattle.

Helicopter hog hunts are available. Have not done so no recommendations but something different.

Ok guys, y’all dug up a 2016 thread here’s

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ga179sale

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you