Mitchell Greenwell

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa
I've never been to Africa but am planning on going in January 2018. I just wanted to know what the weather is like in January? I'm hunting the bushveld and I'm thinking January because the airline prices are lower than in July and I don't think I can wait any longer than that

2779-0-0-0_2523167.jpg

Welcome to AH Mitchell! It is the peak of the summer in Southern Africa and it can get quite hot, it is also the rainy season... I would recommend checking the Weather Underground website as it will provide you with a very detailed look at current weather conditions, weather forecasts, a history and almanac for predicting average weather conditions during the time while you will be traveling in that part of the world www.wunderground.com. Check out the Safari Planning Guide: http://www.africahunting.com/community/safari-planning-guide/, a great resource to get ready for your trip.

Yuma, Arizona in July! Welcome to the forum.
Spend the extra money on airfare for March-may.
Good luck,
Cody

@Bullthrower338 is right. Think Yuma in July.......hot .......hotter........then scorched!

Welcome and certainly look at mid march or later on

Mitchell welcome to the forum!

BRICKBURN,

those temperature's must have been ages ago...:ROFLMAO:. The Phalaborwa / Hoedspruit / Skukuza / Limpopo even the North West areas are already high in the 30's and January month (December to mid March are the hottest months in RSA) still to come - prepare for high 40's this year...

BRICKBURN,

those temperature's must have been ages ago...:ROFLMAO:. The Phalaborwa / Hoedspruit / Skukuza / Limpopo even the North West areas are already high in the 30's and January month (December to mid March are the hottest months in RSA) still to come - prepare for high 40's this year...

Yip, have to agree. Hunting with your binoculars melted to your chest is great.

Welcome to AH, Mitchell.

I would choose May/June

When I hunted in August it was very hot for me, granted it was the end of the month. January is too hot for me!

Welcome! Going a few months later is worth the few extra hundred (if that) it will cost

hot,cold,wet,dry,you will love africa.

Mitchell,
Africa comes to the US in January...............:P Pilot:

DALLAS SAFARI CLUB
JANUARY 5-8, 2017

KAY BAILEY HUTCHINSON CONVENTION CENTER
DALLAS, TEXAS

HOUSTON SAFARI CLUB
JANUARY 13-15, 2017
The Woodlands Waterway Marriott Hotel & Convention Center,
The Woodland, Texas

SAFARI CLUB INTERNATIONAL
FEBRUARY 1-4, 2017

MANDALAY BAY CONVENTION CENTER
LAS VEGAS, NEVADA

Long term averages don't tell the whole story. As you note

BRICKBURN,

I have hunted in January or the first of February a couple of times. The main issue is the amount of leaves on the trees and the height of the grass. Warthogs and smaller antelope will probably be more difficult to see due to the grass. It will be harder seeing game due to the leaves. Leaves may make stalking easier however. Shots will tend to be shorter. Animals like bushbuck will probably be harder to spot as well.

Communicate with your outfitter. The rains come at different times in different parts of the continent.

January is not the best month for hunting as it is really hot, then secondly your chances of getting rain is very high. The bush is lush that time of year which makes it difficult to spot animals but its not impossible to hunt in January!

Welcome to the forum Mr Mitchell, I do agree with Petrus from Pro Hunting Safaris, it is doable but not the ideal time for a first time South African Bushveld Hunt. In these parts your best time to Hunt is with a dark moon and July-August months. The bush is dry and not so dense, visibility is better since most of the trees has dropped their leaves and you will not experience the 30-40 degrees Celsius temperatures.

If January is your only time to come, it is possible, do it and make the best of what you got.

Good Luck to you Sir

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luchkabody

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!