Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Hunted
Zimbabwe (Omay), New Zealand, South Africa (NWP, Limpopo, Eastern Cape); USA (NE, NC, MD, AZ, TX)
@AZDAVE @PHOENIX PHIL

Just heard that a jaguar was spotted at Fort Huachuca, AZ. A trail cam got a picture of the cat, deep in the Huachuca Mountains.

I wonder how he'll get along with the plentiful mountain lions in the same mountain range?

20161207 AZGFD & USFWS Jaguar news release.jpg

Those are the mountains I hike in all the time so I hope to see him one day:) Will be in6teresting to now look at a cat track and wonder which cat made it.

I do believe the mountain lions will give him a wide berth. A Jaguar or leapord would make short work of a mountain lion.

It is very exciting to have Jags starting to make it back to the northern parts of their former range.

I agree with Dave, I think that Jag would put a hurt on a mountain lion.

I am headed down that way in 2 weeks for a coues deer hunt and would love to see him.

I also think that most mountain lions would leave one alone but then if they are on a kill and the jaguar came up on them it could get interesting until the jaguar started to eat the lion.

It is so great to hear about these kind of reports.
Hope they establish a population.

It would be interesting. I have no doubt the jaguar could take the lion, but would he?

Just like a honey badger can and will push Leopard off bait would it be something similar? Would neither cat want the confrontation?

I agree with those hoping that the jaguar establish a stable population in the area- I heard about a jaguar in Tucson a few years back-I think they're checking the markings to see if it's the same cat or a different one.

Their range is amazing- 500 miles! I think the Huachucas will make a great home for them. I worry about the impact of illegals moving through there- would always find trash in certain spots. My unit actually captured a couple on two occasions and handed them over to border patrol.

I agree with those hoping that the jaguar establish a stable population in the area- I heard about a jaguar in Tucson a few years back-I think they're checking the markings to see if it's the same cat or a different one.

Their range is amazing- 500 miles! I think the Huachucas will make a great home for them. I worry about the impact of illegals moving through there- would always find trash in certain spots. My unit actually captured a couple on two occasions and handed them over to border patrol.

This is about a mile or so north of where we would camp for a Coues hunt. It's about two miles from camp to the border. For awhile there I couldn't figure why so many hunters carried oranges into the strangest places as I'd find peels every so often. It wasn't from hunters but from those coming north. Oranges provide both sustenance and water. I don't hunt there anymore. We had a camp just a bit further down the road one year. One of the hunters there found a backpack full or marijuana while out hunting, we considered him lucky to be alive. In another year a lone bowhunter was killed in his camp.

I suspect this jaguar has figured out how to avoid people. The Coues deer, javelina and mountain lions have.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/P...3093e1!8m2!3d31.4047794!4d-111.086652!6m1!1e1

Good that you don't camp there anymore- that's one of the main drug corridors from Mexico.

Lucky that you were only finding orange peels. every hike into the Huachucas I'd find food trash, dirty clothes, backpacks, etc. always in the same areas. I'm glad I only encountered illegals on base- never while hiking alone or with my wife. one of the reasons why I appreciate Arizona being an open carry state- never go hiking unarmed.

While it is great news that the cat is there, don't be surprised if the ANTIs attempt tp use this as an excuse to close down all hunting in the area-particularly mountain lion hunting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marinagqe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber