"It's the Dead ones that kill you"

there was a good time here at a local butcher shop years ago when a very large bull(1300-1400 lbs) was shot in the head with a .22 magnum only to come alive when two were hooking it to a lift to gut and skin it, it tore holy hell out of the that room and two men some how were able to climb up the walls to escape until it was shot with a .222.
Leslie Hetrick
That is very possible. In my incident , upon butchering the Bullock , we found that neither of the two .22 Long Rifle bullets had penetrated into the brain. However , .22 Long Rifle fire arms can be used on smaller cattle with ease , but not the ones with thicker skulls

there was a good time here at a local butcher shop years ago when a very large bull(1300-1400 lbs) was shot in the head with a .22 magnum only to come alive when two were hooking it to a lift to gut and skin it, it tore holy hell out of the that room and two men some how were able to climb up the walls to escape until it was shot with a .222.

my God, what a chaos this must have been.

A friend once looked for a wounded wild boar. On the shot (with 30.06) he found two hands full with liver.
After 3 KM the dog lost the track ..............

Are they Vegans now?

my God, what a chaos this must have been.

A friend once looked for a wounded wild boar. On the shot (with 30.06) he found two hands full with liver.
After 3 KM the dog lost the track ..............

It’s why I go after them with 375HH now. The area I hunt them in is near a river and is covered by very thick bush growth, the sort that limits visibility and makes any movement very hard and slow (for people). 375 or 9.3 typically knocks them straight down, wheres after a 30 cal lung or heart shot they will often run 50 metres or more before dying. You then have to enter this thicket to retrieve them and can never be sure if they are gonna be dead or waiting for revenge. And if they do slice you they are likely to cut your femoral arteries.

My Dad once told me a story that I know still bothers him, even 60 plus years later. As a farm kid growing up in rural Canada in the 1950's, Dad would take just about any job offered to him that an 11 or 12 year old boy was capable of. One of the neighbors had a fur farm, raising mink in pens for sale to the fur markets in Toronto and Montreal. My Dad's job was to feed the mink all the bits and scraps of old miking cow or dead stock that the farmer had cut up into little pieces and left in the wheel barrow for him. One day, another neighbor walked in an old nag of a horse that was destined for either that wheel barrow, or the glue factory. A price was agreed upon, and the farmer brought out his old single shot .22 to dispatch the horse right there in the yard, as it would make excellent feed for his mink.
Dad watched as the farmer put the muzzle to the side of the horse's head, pulled the trigger and saw the horse fall. The men began the task of skinning the horse, getting about half way done, when the horse jumped up, neighing and whinnying and running around the yard. As the story goes, the horse was going wild, bucking and bleeding and trailing half of it's skin behind him, and the farmer had to fetch out that old single shot .22 again. Dad said that from his position, hiding underneath the old Allis-Chalmers tractor, that the farmer had to shoot that old nag 7 or 8 more times, having to reload between each shot, before it went down again.
He tells this story with such a vivid recollection, that I know he is still bothered about it. As a consequence, he is not a hunter, and does not like horses either.
I remember this story every time I take an animal while hunting, ready with a follow up shot should I need it.

My Dad once told me a story that I know still bothers him, even 60 plus years later. As a farm kid growing up in rural Canada in the 1950's, Dad would take just about any job offered to him that an 11 or 12 year old boy was capable of. One of the neighbors had a fur farm, raising mink in pens for sale to the fur markets in Toronto and Montreal. My Dad's job was to feed the mink all the bits and scraps of old miking cow or dead stock that the farmer had cut up into little pieces and left in the wheel barrow for him. One day, another neighbor walked in an old nag of a horse that was destined for either that wheel barrow, or the glue factory. A price was agreed upon, and the farmer brought out his old single shot .22 to dispatch the horse right there in the yard, as it would make excellent feed for his mink.
Dad watched as the farmer put the muzzle to the side of the horse's head, pulled the trigger and saw the horse fall. The men began the task of skinning the horse, getting about half way done, when the horse jumped up, neighing and whinnying and running around the yard. As the story goes, the horse was going wild, bucking and bleeding and trailing half of it's skin behind him, and the farmer had to fetch out that old single shot .22 again. Dad said that from his position, hiding underneath the old Allis-Chalmers tractor, that the farmer had to shoot that old nag 7 or 8 more times, having to reload between each shot, before it went down again.
He tells this story with such a vivid recollection, that I know he is still bothered about it. As a consequence, he is not a hunter, and does not like horses either.
I remember this story every time I take an animal while hunting, ready with a follow up shot should I need it.
@DmacD
That sounds like a very terrifying experience . I have dispatched two horses myself which were carrying disease . One was in 1992 and one was in 2004 . I also used a .22 Long Rifle calibre weapon
IMG_20190920_114723.jpg
IMG_20190920_113418_01.jpg

It was a Brno bolt operation .22 Long Rifle . I find that the easiest manner to locate the brain of a horse , is by drawing an imaginary line from the right ear to the left eye and then one more line from the left ear to the right eye . The brain can be located where the lines intersect . Think of it , like the centre of an X .
A .22 Long Rifle bullet through this region killed both the horses. It must be gruesome to see a half skinned horse get up in such a manner as your father witnessed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don,t know if they turned vegan or not, but they both are members of the brown shorts club.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MckinleySv

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.