Its a sickness

EDELWEISS

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
US, Canada, Middle East(does that count)
Ive wanted REAL Double for more years then I like to think about. For most of those years I had to console myself with SxS shotguns that I had sights mounted onto the ribs. Some worked much better than they get credit for; but it takes some tweeking with loads and expectations----OK some were complete failures but they still "looked" cool, especially to a guy who couldnt afford better.

Then the Baikal's came along, first it was the O/U's that looked like the Valmet's (which I still couldnt afford); but they were cheap enough that even I could afford. The best description Ive ever heard of them, is that they are like Russian T34 tanks, as in they are cheap and they go bang. I always hated the gap between the barrels of the O/U's; but the Valmets had that same gap and they were cool.... There had been rumors for years that a SxS was coming out in 45-70, then Remington snapped up the import rights and only teased us (me) for years. So much that I forgot about them until recently.

Over the years we get older but sometimes smarter, Im finally at a point where I can afford some of my dreams. Im planning my first safari for 2012, and I finally got my first REAL Double Rifle. Its a Sabatti 9.3x74R. Ok, its on the low end of the REAL Doubles; but its still a REAL Double Rifle in my book.

While researching DR's, for the Sabatti that I eventually bought, I came across one of the Baikal SxS's in 45-70. I couldnt resist it. Yep Its another T34; but its one I wont mind taking out in the rain on a Boar hunt.

When I bought the 9.3x74R, there was a Blazer in 500 NE in the shop. It was on the high end of my disposable" cash range; but its been naggng at me. I keep telling myself "I dont NEED a 500 NE"; but its getting harder to listen to that and I keep thinking of going back. I tell myself I can go to Afrika for what it costs; but I keep thinking yeah and I could take my 500NE with me.............

Help me convince me one way or the other, "Do I need a 500NE?"

Yes you do, go and get it ASAP.

EDELWEISS
user-online.png

I also have looked at his double rifle and they look great and point nicely...the failing i have is that there is no safety and you have to manually cock the rifle prior to shooting...you need to try it before you make the jump...to UN cock the rifle all you do is open the action...to get this process down you would have to sit in the easy chair and dry fire until you can do it smooth and reliably...let me tell you your thumb would be tired and sore after a few times and it would take practice to do it 10 times in a row quickly...

I would look at the blazer double rifle and be in a kneeling or sitting position and see if you can operating the manual cocking system...they all-ways show this step while standing that is not the case in the field...

The rifle does not have a safety so your rifle is either cocked or UN-cocked....You have to be careful in your hand grip to make sure your fingers are not close to the trigger and fire the rifle while trying to manually cock the system...you could break you wrist...and that would be a bummer...

No PH is going to allow you to walk behind them with a cocked rifle ready to discharge while on the chase of a cape buffalo you set up (cock it) take it down (UN cock it) make another move and repeat the process you could do this many times while on the trail of the CB your PH has picked for you all the while working you closer and closer to the trophy.

I have talked to PH who will not let these rifles in camp...i just looked at a Krieghoff and it was priced to go out the door, however i passed when i had difficult trying to do the above process 3 time in a hurry...

Last edited by a moderator:
James,

That is the worse description of the K-Gun system I have ever read.

First of all I own and hunt with one. I have killed 5 buffalo and one elephant with it. Never once has pushing the kickspanner forward been a problem.

To "uncock" it you push the kickspanner forward and it releases, you do not break the gun open. Even though I easily can operate the kickspanner 10 times in a row I cannot think of any reason in the field to do this. I can also engage and release the kickspanner with the rifle in my shoulder with no problems.

Cannot even comment on the breaking your wrist comment..........

You are right no PH will let you walk behind him with a rifle cocked and off safety. I have been on a couple of tough follow ups on buffalo and involved in an elephant charge that ended at less than 10 feet so I feel I am experienced with it. Never has the rifle been an issue for me or my PH.

Please post the name of the PH who would not allow it in camp, I will make certain to never hunt with him. I have hunted with one PH that carried a K-Gun and know of a couple more that use them. Every PH I have been around like the K-Gun for a client rifle.

The issue I have with the Blaser is it must be recocked after each reload, The K-Gun is remains cocked after reloading. My Boswell has an automatic safety and it drives me nuts, but either can be learned.

This is the K-Gun website showing the operation of the kickspanner.
Important Technical Features

Me with my superhuman thumb working the K-Gun.

I have said this before, The K-Gun or Blaser is not for everybody. They are both tough, accurate, and dependable rifles.

Attachments

• Mike70560.jpeg
    Mike70560.jpeg
    14.8 KB · Views: 197
+1 Mike

Jammy Traut carries a K-Gun in 500 and Nick Nolte's is a 470. These guys use them every day because they are safe, accurate, and totally dependable when their or a client's life are on the line. I have never heard a real PH criticize one - ever. The cocking spanner works intuitively like a safety, and because it is slightly oversize, it is just as quick - even for my 58 year old thumb. And to the contrary of what James emplies, it is the SAFEST double for a PH to have trailing along behind him in the sweaty hands of we erstwhile clients because it is uncocked until needed.

And Mike, your gun room is a hell of a lot neater than mine.

Edelweiss, if I would have to choose between a 500NE and a Safari, I would find I don t need a 500NE.

Nyati's right. When you are 3 days into your first safari...and you're already starting to plan your second one ...think how glad you'll be when you realise you still have that money to fund it...'cos you didn't spend on the 500.
Enjoy the 9.3.

I agree with messmate and Nyati....hunting will become a disease after visiting Africa....you will be a total addict!

I agree with messmate and Nyati....hunting will become a disease after visiting Africa....you will be a total addict!

..it will become like a drug,enysse,a drug..:cool:!!

But what animals would he be limited to with a 9.3 x 74R? Surely he might find putting off the safari a year or so would give him the benefit of practice and perhaps working up a load for the 500NE. And THEN go to Africa with a 500NE and a 9.3 x 74R, being highly proficient in both.

But what animals would he be limited to with a 9.3 x 74R? Surely he might find putting off the safari a year or so would give him the benefit of practice and perhaps working up a load for the 500NE. And THEN go to Africa with a 500NE and a 9.3 x 74R, being highly proficient in both.

Huh? Wait a year in order to practice more? My only question is why a 500 at all. Unless a tusker is on the dance card, why mess with a .500 - particularly when economics seems to be an issue.

Take the 9.3 and get your $%^ to Africa without delay. Then when you return (return to Africa BECAUSE you will!, check my signature line) you will know that you had to get the 500 or you will know you didn't need it anyway. Just get to Africa OK?

OK, Red Leg. Perhaps he would be comfortable going to Africa with just a 9.3 x 74R. My initial question still stands. What animals would he go there to shoot? If he'd be satisfied being limited to those possibilities than I say fine, have at it and enjoy the safari

Doubles are a disease. I'm already working on my second one. I hope I get cured after that.

Doubles are a disease. I'm already working on my second one. I hope I get cured after that.

When you run out of fingers and start counting them using your toes,,, Start to worry about this addiction!

No kidding!! I'm on the second foot and running out of digits, BUT I'm always scouting for another treasure..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!