DmacD

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Canada, U.S.A., Namibia, England, South Africa
Hello to those in the know, I am looking for some advice. I have the opportunity to make a private purchase of an Ithaca SKB model 280E in 12 gauge. This is a side by side shotgun with 28" barrels, choked full and modified, with ejectors, and an English style straight grip stock. Single trigger, with selector.
Not sure if the "E" in the title refers to the English grip or the ejectors. In fact I am not really sure of much at all when it comes to this Ithaca, other than the fact that it feels really good in the hands and that it looks and feels to be in excellent shape.
I am a casual shotgun enthusiast, shoot sporting clays and skeet at the club twice a month (a solid "Participant Ribbon" kind of shooter) and hunt the odd pheasant, partridge and rabbit occasionally. Only ever used an O/U and a pump before.
Looking for some insight into build quality, do they last, etc. I do know that fit is important, and this gun seems to really come up nice for me.
Any thoughts? Any idea on a fair price for this above average condition shotgun?
Many Thanks,
Dean

They are an under-appreciated gem, and an excellent value for what they generally sell for. A hunting body had one and I shot it some times. If I was looking for another SxS gun I would buy one. Stephen Bodio in his book "Good Guns" gives them a very good review. Their styling is somewhat "flashy" and some would say garish, but if the style suits your tastes, there is little else to fault.

Hello to those in the know, I am looking for some advice. I have the opportunity to make a private purchase of an Ithaca SKB model 280E in 12 gauge. This is a side by side shotgun with 28" barrels, choked full and modified, with ejectors, and an English style straight grip stock. Single trigger, with selector.
Not sure if the "E" in the title refers to the English grip or the ejectors. In fact I am not really sure of much at all when it comes to this Ithaca, other than the fact that it feels really good in the hands and that it looks and feels to be in excellent shape.
I am a casual shotgun enthusiast, shoot sporting clays and skeet at the club twice a month (a solid "Participant Ribbon" kind of shooter) and hunt the odd pheasant, partridge and rabbit occasionally. Only ever used an O/U and a pump before.
Looking for some insight into build quality, do they last, etc. I do know that fit is important, and this gun seems to really come up nice for me.
Any thoughts? Any idea on a fair price for this above average condition shotgun?
Many Thanks,
Dean
Good solid gun. Price has everything to do with condition. According to the Blue Book, a 280 in 100% condition is valued at $1400 and one at 80% is valued at $775. Make an offer accordingly.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are an under-appreciated gem, and an excellent value for what they generally sell for. A hunting body had one and I shot it some times. If I was looking for another SxS gun I would buy one. Stephen Bodio in his book "Good Guns" gives them a very good review. Their styling is somewhat "flashy" and some would say garish, but if the style suits your tastes, there is little else to fault.
Style, as they say, is subjective. However, I am fortunate enough not to know too much about the rights and wrongs of side by sides, so have not cultivated any prejudices yet. It does indeed look good to me, though I am sure there are those that have experience with quality London Best, or other European shotguns that would make a joke or two. I expect that it is sort of like receiving your first kiss, it felt great, even if she wasn't that pretty.
Anyway, nice to hear from someone who has actually shot one, especially someone with experience.
Thanks

Good solid gun. Price has everything to do with condition. According to the Blue Book, a 280 in 100% condition is valued at $1400 and one at 80% is valued at $775. Make an offer accordingly.
Thanks Red Leg,
This shotgun is starting to look better by the minute, much appreciated.

Another question, does anyone know if it would be safe to shoot steel shot through this shotgun?

To some extent, it depends on the chokes, but I would not dream of it. You probably would get away with it If the gun has IC / Light Mod barrels. Anything tighter and you are asking for a barrel bulge. But were it me, I would spend a few more dollars and buy bismuth for a duck hunt. Steel never touches the bores of one of my SxS’s.

I would say no to steel. Full / Mod chokes are too tight, and the bores are hard chrome lined which makes reaming them to a more open choke problematic. Small size steel shot, no bigger than #4 might be ok, but if you need to or want to use non toxic shot bismuth and tungsten-matrix are certainly safe and are more effective in the field.

Thank once again, Red Leg and Longwalker.

Much appreciated, I will take a look and make sure to avoid the steel.

An update; I bought the Ithaca, and glad that I did. I took it for a spin last week, two rounds of clays, and it really performed for me. In fact, it think it may have even been my best round to date! I guess the straight grip agrees with me.
A thank you to those who gave advice, much appreciated.
IMG_20200711_1237475.jpg
IMG_20200711_1237405.jpg
IMG_20200711_1237169.jpg

Nice!

Now something perhaps in early American, English, or German in a 20 or 16 bore. (y)

Nice!

Now something perhaps in early American, English, or German in a 20 or 16 bore. (y)
Pusher! Enabler!
I have indeed been infected by the sickness of acquiring more, but I am now willing to be more selective...
Any suggestions on some nice German side by side makers I should be on the lookout for? Perhaps a step or two above entry-level?

Pusher! Enabler!
I have indeed been infected by the sickness of acquiring more, but I am now willing to be more selective...
Any suggestions on some nice German side by side makers I should be on the lookout for? Perhaps a step or two above entry-level?
There are any number of wonderful German guns - many were guild guns (built by unknown but incredibly gifted craftsman). However, you will never go wrong with a JP Sauer in good condition. The two below give you an idea of the bookends. The 16 is a good buy. The 20 is 2500 over priced to my mind.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...ock-ejector-sxs-20-gauge.cfm?gun_id=101461027
https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...uns/jp-sauer-60-16-gauge.cfm?gun_id=101252139

With any older gun, there are a lot of things to check out to make sure it is sound.

And yes - guilty as charged!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 9.04.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 9.04.11 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 193
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 9.04.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 9.04.12 PM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 181
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 9.03.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 9.03.55 PM.png
    692.9 KB · Views: 180
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 9.03.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 9.03.53 PM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 165
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 9.03.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 9.03.52 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 184
If that 20, was 5k, I would be seriously tempted. But still looking for a beater Parker Trojan with great metal, to restore and custom engrave.

If that 20, was 5k, I would be seriously tempted. But still looking for a beater Parker Trojan with great metal, to restore and custom engrave.
I agree. For 5K that would be an awesome gun to own. You can always make an offer - these are trying times. (y)

I just acquired a George Henry Boughton oil from a dealer for $1500. Last year he offered the same painting for $6500. Time and value are relative things.

Beautiful gun. Congratulations on your purchase!

An update on how the Ithaca performed for me;
7 pheasants and 1 Bobwhite quail. First time hunting birds over a pointing dog, and really had a food time. I hope to get out again a few times this year.

20200917_124314.jpg
20200917_124342.jpg
20200917_175439.jpg

Well done.

I like the English stock on your shotgun.
Classic lines, white liner on the buttpad...very nice.
The grain really pops out in the sunlight vs inside pictures.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arecruitment880

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!