Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Europe
Hunted
South Africa, Italy, Spain, Romania, Argentina, Texas
Dates: Sept. 9th-11th 2022
Type of Hunt: Roe Deer
Method of Hunting: Rifle (Rented PH's CZ 537 in 30.06)
Outfitter: Italian Safari
PH: Aloisio
Locations Hunted: Umbria Region of Italy, 15 minutes outside of the town of Gubbio
Species Hunted: Roe Deer
Species Seen: Many roe deer (bucks and does) per day. Wild hogs and Red deer. Pheasant and fox.
Lodging: Local Hotel - Hotel Ducale
Food: Local Restaurants
Would Recommend to a Friend? YES (I insist they must go!)

This was a Friday - Sunday hunt, we hunted Friday pm, Saturday am and pm and Sunday am. The time in between was spent looking around Gubbio, Italy and resting. This is a top notch hunting outfitter that can arrange hunting all over Italy for multiple species (e.g. Red Stag, Chamois, Fallow, Mouflon, etc...) and beyond Italy as well. They can also handle non-hunting tourism as well, very well. I cannot recommend them enough. Link below. Just reach out to Leone and he will set you up with some world class hunting. His company's address is: www.italiansafari.com

I hunted with PH Aloisio (Alo for short) and for some of the time also another Jack. Both were very professional, knew what they were doing and had international hunting experience themselves, plus a sense of humor (invaluable in my book). The spot and stalk style of hunting was a good amount of walking on roads until we spotted one, and then made an approach. The scenery is beautiful with rolling hills, Italian farmhouses, old castles and gorgeous trees, etc... As good as the pics posted here are, they do not do it justice.

The first Roe deer I harvested was shot at about 120 meters. He had not noticed us while he was feeding in the early morning and one shot did the job. I am posting a pic of rock that happened to be behind him that was sprayed with blood and lung upon the bullet's impact. It visually was quite something when we walked up on him.

The second Roe deer was later in the morning and frankly I think we all thought it was too late for a second one. This deer actually scared away another on the edge of the treeline we had been watching. When we realized what scared away that other deer in the treeline; I simply waited for Alo's go ahead on the size, age, etc. I dropped down in the prone immediately on the road we were walking on without even moving closer for the sake of time. One shot from approximately 220 meters did the job. He ran a short distance and we could not see him but we knew it was done.

The down time was spent in the town of Gubbio sightseeing, eating, etc... I am posting some pics of that part of the experience as I am always interested in the overall experience when I read reports myself. Given this is in Italy, the food, scenery, etc... - the whole vibe - is so fun and was top class. Obviously, this is not roughing it in the bush kind of hunting, although it was challenging with skittish Roe deer, but this is the kind of hunting experience I (or anyone imo) will mention early on in a discussion of their global hunting career.

I took so many pics as it is kind of sensory overload in the Italian country side but I selected some below. This was probably the nicest skinning shed I will ever encounter! If anyone has any questions I am happy to answer. Cheers Gents!

The hunting grounds -

tempImagenmkDVh.png
019BC49D-8D96-432B-9212-A2AC2A47B597.jpeg

Roe Deer #1 Alo and me.
tempImageqEJWDx.png
tempImagevVDNpp.png

View from my room of Gubbio
tempImagelqhqjv.png
tempImageJIauns.png

Thats my room window from the outside.

Roe Deer #2
tempImage2VVILM.png

The Skinning Shed

tempImageHwCG7P.png
tempImageRGkmle.png

tempImageiMmUak.png

Some others of the hunting grounds

tempImagezwrnhY.png
tempImagecBr5uo.png
tempImageVyEltQ.png
tempImageOFJ1V7.png
tempImageXzk8g7.png
tempImagezdILV7.png
tempImageyAEsxY.png
tempImagewIYpMJ.png
tempImagegjOjkz.png
tempImageXnw3Yv.png

Attachments

• tempImageelPaRE.png
    tempImageelPaRE.png
    16.5 MB · Views: 71
  • tempImage966sxU.png
    tempImage966sxU.png
    11 MB · Views: 76
Wow, what a great trip!

Cpngrats on some nice roe deer. Beautiful area. It looks like a lot of fun. You took some very nice pics. Thanks for sharing.
Bruce

Seems like a great experience, congrats !

OK, I’ve read a ton of hunting reports over the years, but this is the first I’ve ever seen for Italy. Thank you for sharing. I’ve wanted to visit Italy for a long time but haven’t gone yet. You just gave me a very good reason to go sooner than later. Thanks!

Awesome thanks for sharing!

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Really nice adventure, would love to do that one day.

That looks like an amazing hunt. I have been to Italy, but never hunted there, it is a stunningly beautiful country.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpstracking

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg