It is the dead ones that kill you

So as a rule, we usually walk up to an downed animal and "test" the eye to see if it is dead. If the animal blinks, we either leave the animal for a few moments allowing the last sings of life dissipate, or we apply a Coup de Grace.

The question is, how many have actually experienced an animal getting right up onto its feet, you standing right next to it, ready to fight when you "test the eye"?

I have seen animals get up after a shock to the spine or a bad head shot, but they are usually a distance away from where the shot was taken.
To this day, I have luckily only experienced it once where an "dead" animal comes back to life to the degree that it stands completely under its own power, requiring another shot, after we started man handeling it. (yes, the eye was not tested...)

It will be interesting to hear who have experienced what out there.
In 30 years guiding, I have seen it a number of times. As you describe, mostly on animals shot too high - above the lungs but below the spine. Most were elk. Fill them full of holes like Swiss cheese is our camp motto. For brown bear, I usually have my clients shoot the bear one last time when we approach to about 20 yards at a safe angle. If it flinches or moves, we shoot sgain.

Last edited:
The whole thing didn't seem too professional, at first he was careless and then went into panic mode! Notice how much he fumbles with his ammo pouch when trying to reload.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieRiggs

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross