It has been a long hard struggle....

Savage Hunter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
I have been contemplating and struggling about buying a big bore rifle.
What brand? What model? What caliber?
Did I absolutely have to have iron sights?

In the end, it needed to be stainless/synthetic or synthetic/cherakote. And I really wanted the iron sights.

Ms Lana has been berating me to finally make up my mind and purchase the rifle I really want.
I said I just couldn't see spending the money on the 2 choices that I preferred.
She demanded I get it. I couldn't do it.
I went into work today and was told about extra shifts I needed to work.
Cha-ching! My answer to a guilt free purchase.

I narrowed my choice down to:
1. Montana Rifle Company V2 Extreme in 375 H&H (or ruger). or.....
2. Nosler M48 Outfitter in 375ruger.

I like the Nosler better, wished it came in 375 HH, but in the end I went with it in the 375 ruger.
Love the looks. it feels good. love the stock paint. love the cherakote.

2014-rifle-photos-for-web-outfitter-4.jpg

2014-rifle-photos-for-web-outfitter-full.jpg

My next dilemma is scoping it, fortunately I don't have to purchase a scope.
I have 3 scopes to choose from in my home.
1. Leupold VX-L 3-10.5 x50 (currently on my 300wsm- might swap the vx6 to this rifle)
2. Leupold VX-6 3-18 x 50 (NIB I got at a steal before Christmas) Has the firedot.
3. Leupold VX-3 3.5-10 x40 (NIB I got 2 years ago for a song, even though I don't sing well)

I plan to put quick release mounts on it, of course.

Attachments

• 2014-rifle-photos-for-web-outfitter-4.jpg
    2014-rifle-photos-for-web-outfitter-4.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 343
  • 2014-rifle-photos-for-web-outfitter-full.jpg
    2014-rifle-photos-for-web-outfitter-full.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 603
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank your wife and congratulations.

Dude!!!! I am about to buy a nosler is 338wm. I have a 270wsm in the custom m48 and I absolutely love it. Jealous of your rifle!!!

Nice rifle, I'd go with no. 3, mounted nice and low. Plenty of scope for a 375. The good news is now you can start shopping for a 458 Lott!
Congrats on the new rifle,
Cody

Very nice rifle indeed and a great caliber I might add!

Agree with Bullthrower on selecting option #3 on the scope, however if you were to spring later for a new scope, I'd suggest something like a 1.5x5.

very nice rifle!

ive had bad experiences with Montana Rifle Co. so i believe you made the correct choice.

-matt

Nice rifle!

What Cody said! Worth saying again, Mount it as low as you can get it.

And please post a range report. Congrats on the new purchase!

very nice rifle!

ive had bad experiences with Montana Rifle Co. so i believe you made the correct choice.

-matt

Sorry to hear that Matt85. I really like my MRC in 375 H&H and it shoots 1/2" groups with Barnes 250 TTSX and <1" groups with Barnes factory 300 TSX.

That said, the Nosler in 375 Ruger should do a great job!

Congrats on the new addition!

Lucky man! Keep the rifle and the wife!

Nice rifle! Congrats!

Good looking piece. I have the 375 Ruger in their guide gun. Love it. Good luck with it.

Congrats on the new toy.

For a scope, I would look for something smaller than you have, I have a Meopta 1-4x22, which is very nice for a large caliber rifle.

Nice weather resistant rifle you have there.

I would strongly discourage the optics choices you have on hand.

You need one of th following:

Swarovski z6i 1-6x24 or z8 1-8x24

Or

Schmidt & Bender 1-4 strata or 1-8 exos

A year ago I would never suggest an 8x scope for such a rifle because you couldn't get a low mount, straight tube variety and you end up with a clown shoes outfit with a 42mm scope on a DG rifle. (Says American tourist from a mile away)

Today, you can get 1-8 scopes that are the same size as 1-5 and 1-6 models if the extra magnification is that important.

Nice weather resistant rifle you have there.

I would strongly discourage the optics choices you have on hand.

You need one of th following:

Swarovski z6i 1-6x24 or z8 1-8x24

Or

Schmidt & Bender 1-4 strata or 1-8 exos

A year ago I would never suggest an 8x scope for such a rifle because you couldn't get a low mount, straight tube variety and you end up with a clown shoes outfit with a 42mm scope on a DG rifle. (Says American tourist from a mile away)

Today, you can get 1-8 scopes that are the same size as 1-5 and 1-6 models if the extra magnification is that important.
Thought there would be a big difference in price between the Leupolds and Swarovskis, not much if you shop hard. But there is a big difference with the Leupolds and the S&B. Not a complaint, just a point! Do agree with you though about having a large bell scope on a DG rifle, unless you intend to shoot a buff at 300 yards!

Very nice rifle indeed and a great caliber I might add!

Agree with Bullthrower on selecting option #3 on the scope, however if you were to spring later for a new scope, I'd suggest something like a 1.5x5.
+1^

Lots of good options on scope choices, so of course me being me I have to chime in. Another option would be the Monarch 3 1-4x20 African (1-4x20w/German #4 reticle). I have these on my 416 Rigby, 404 Jeffery, & 450 Rigby. Great scopes. Optics quality is first class plus Nikon makes it's own glass. As I have mentioned before I have Zeiss HD 5's, & Leup 3's. Optics quality is the same in my opinion. The advantage the Zeiss has is that it is slightly better in low light and has a 1:5 zoom magnification ratio compared to the Leup & Nikon. Don't have any experience with Swarovski, or S&B (wife told me I couldn't rent my kids out so I have to stick with what I got).
Leica, or Trijicon is another decent option. Something I didn't know about Trijicon scopes. On each scope there is a reference to a Bible verse. Though that was pretty cool.

Your options priced:

Worlds worst illuminated scope in my opinion, the Leica 1.5-5x24 illuminated. About $400

Used s&B 1-4 on eBay $700

Used swaro z6 non illuminated on eBay: $1300

Wholesale new in box z6i 1-6x24 illuminated (I have two spares from a big buy I did) $1850

New retail exos 1-8 or swaro 1-8 $2800

I've owned a lot of scopes at a lot of price points. I can't speak worse of any scope than the leupold 1-5...compare to almost any other scope at that price....junk-o-la

A friend of mine wanted to get one of my rifles in trade for his wife- I thanked him kindly but said my wife was all that I needed and besides, I'm sure my wife would veto the trade.:);)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryellenD

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you