Issues with the Artistry of Wildlife

View attachment 358377

So the majority of claims in the post qouted above is BS? Who would have thought...?!

As I mentioned on that thread, I truly believe badmouthing others, as the cornerstone of marketing your own business is a bad move and poor style, and I further believe it is unsustainable, and will catch up with you. Let your work and professionalism speak for itself, and good business will follow.

For obvious reasons, as a South African, I do not take kindly to the constant bashing of the entire SA taxidermy industry. Of course, and by all means criticize when indicated, and have high standards, but sounding like a broken record about our industry, whilst not having your own house in order is simply not on.

I trust that good health will follow after your extended sickbed Dennis, and that you will get better by the day, with the aid of an excellent rehab team. I hope the taxidermists you employed work out well, and that your business does great with the new team, producing top quality work like before.

@Dewald

Not entirely sure why you posted that image of the message from Dennis, but since my name is mentioned and the story used by Dennis was mine and used with permission, I just want to recap my experience.
2 hunts to SA, May of 2016 and 2018. Taxidermy from 2016 arrived and 2 trophies had severe damage. A third was fixable. 2 were sent back to SA return shipping paid by original taxidermist. However I did not receive the fixed mounts until my second trip taxidermy returned.
Second trip in 2018, tried the taxidermist a second time. 2 trophies again we are not happy with, but chose to let it lie and move on.
I personally will choose to use a US taxidermist going forward as I waited 3 years to get 2 original trophies back anyway. Figure it's worth to see the difference at least.

Not picking at you, just giving my full story as my name is shown in that image with partial information.

View attachment 358377

So the majority of claims in the post qouted above is BS? Who would have thought...?!

As I mentioned on that thread, I truly believe badmouthing others, as the cornerstone of marketing your own business is a bad move and poor style, and I further believe it is unsustainable, and will catch up with you. Let your work and professionalism speak for itself, and good business will follow.

For obvious reasons, as a South African, I do not take kindly to the constant bashing of the entire SA taxidermy industry. Of course, and by all means criticize when indicated, and have high standards, but sounding like a broken record about our industry, whilst not having your own house in order is simply not on.

I trust that good health will follow after your extended sickbed Dennis, and that you will get better by the day, with the aid of an excellent rehab team. I hope the taxidermists you employed work out well, and that your business does great with the new team, producing top quality work like before.

yeah, he took a shot at the taxi I used without any knowledge of their business or work, and then ignored it when he was called out on it

i joined here a couple of years ago, and was quite surprised by the "if I didnt do the work, the work is shit" approach, and seemingly, no one was able to disagree.

lots of time available to shit on other taxidermists, none to reply to an email

I rang my local taxidermist the other day from a mountain side, to get advice on how to handle the Sambar stag I was caping out, he answered the phone, provided a heap of advice, etc. He keeps me updated on the progress, every step of the way. Its not hard

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/taxidermy-africa-vs-u-k-or-states.51491/#post-559804

@Dewald

Not entirely sure why you posted that image of the message from Dennis, but since my name is mentioned and the story used by Dennis was mine and used with permission, I just want to recap my experience.
2 hunts to SA, May of 2016 and 2018. Taxidermy from 2016 arrived and 2 trophies had severe damage. A third was fixable. 2 were sent back to SA return shipping paid by original taxidermist. However I did not receive the fixed mounts until my second trip taxidermy returned.
Second trip in 2018, tried the taxidermist a second time. 2 trophies again we are not happy with, but chose to let it lie and move on.
I personally will choose to use a US taxidermist going forward as I waited 3 years to get 2 original trophies back anyway. Figure it's worth to see the difference at least.

Not picking at you, just giving my full story as my name is shown in that image with partial information.

Hi TTundra,

I apologize for dragging you into this. I merely posted a screenshot of the first page of the thread I referenced, with it’s heading in order for for members to see where I qouted from. Not disputing your story in the least.

Have a good day.

Regards,
Dewald

I did receive a response back from my e-mail to Dennis late last night. He confirmed his address so the hides that don't belong to me will be shipped out and returned. It sounds like all of my horns/hides are found (bushbuck is still a question - I sent him a pic to verify). He committed to shipping out, so hopefully that will occur today.

I'll confirm back here once all is done or as need be.

And I thought that using a company like this would avoid the issues I've had with African taxidermists.

Sometimes you just don't bounce back perfectly from a stroke.

I for one certainly feel for everyone here including Dennis. Had he not been a terrible businessman from the start this thread would not exist. You simply cannot abuse and lie to your customers day in and day out and not expect at some point to bite you in the ass. Unfortunately it took his illness for certain people to publicly bring light to his business practices. We here all knew in private of his way of doing business and it’s kept some like myself from doing business with him. I have no dog in this fight I just wish everyone gets things straightened out soon and satisfactorily.

I finally got my first sheep and took it to Dennis last year. He waited up for me till midnight , as I drove from the airport right to his shop. He even spent time that night to show my daughters a few of the pieces he was working on.

I, too, lost communication with him while he was fighting for his life. I did deal with one the guys that was working part time for him while he was sick. He was responsive but we couldn't find my cape.

Dennis did get back with me after he was discharged.
Yes, I too was worried, and when there were delays getting back to me, i did get concerned.

But, I wanted to post this to let people know that Dennis did eventually find my cape, and he did contact me. I like him and wanted to share my experience on this thread. I will shoot out another post to let folks know how things turned out.

I did receive a response back from my e-mail to Dennis late last night. He confirmed his address so the hides that don't belong to me will be shipped out and returned. It sounds like all of my horns/hides are found (bushbuck is still a question - I sent him a pic to verify). He committed to shipping out, so hopefully that will occur today.

I'll confirm back here once all is done or as need be.

The 2 hides have been returned to Dennis and the stuff that was found has been received by my new taxidermist (except my Hyena skull that Dennis said was found but didn't make the trip).

So still lost is a set of bushbuck horns and various skulls. Getting closer.

Just to update my situation. Got a short P.M. from Dennis about the same time the rest of you got one. No specifics, no response to my questions, just a "all good, working hard" note. I have repeated my e-mails as that was how he wanted to communicate, and sent another this last weekend as well as a P.M. on here. NOTHING. I am glad some of you have had responses. Just none for me. All I have asked for is a small cell phone picture of the work that he has already done.

So still lost is a set of bushbuck horns and various skulls. Getting closer.
So sad that ANY part of your possessions should be misplaced, especially after he said they were found. I can imagine the chaos that ensues when a key owner is sick/unavailable for a time. I am sure whoever owns the hides and skulls you sent back will appreciate getting the proper trophies also.

So sad that ANY part of your possessions should be misplaced, especially after he said they were found. I can imagine the chaos that ensues when a key owner is sick/unavailable for a time. I am sure whoever owns the hides and skulls you sent back will appreciate getting the proper trophies also.

Agree. And the badger was much bigger than mine! LOL

It is also certainly reasonable for a simple cell phone picture to be taken as he's told you the work has already been completed. 30 seconds of time tops would stop some of this.

I thought I was the only for a period of time who had issues, but as this thread demonstrates there are significantly more. I should have posted my experience earlier, but did not want to disparage Dennis as I liked him as a man, but his actions and lack of communication, broken promises, and missed deadlines deem him a poor business man. I wont make this mistake again and hope others learn from our experiences...

I thought I was the only for a period of time who had issues, but as this thread demonstrates there are significantly more. I should have posted my experience earlier, but did not want to disparage Dennis as I liked him as a man, but his actions and lack of communication, broken promises, and missed deadlines deem him a poor business man. I wont make this mistake again and hope others learn from our experiences...
dtarin09,
I am sure there are many, many more that are either unaware of this thread, or not wanting to chime in. Working in the residential construction industry my entire adult life, I have never been able to understand business owners who make promises they KNOW WELL they cannot keep. Sooner or later it will catch up with you. If anyone is wondering, I also have a dog in this fight.

Ted, I seriously doubt you will ever move on. Just let it go.

Ted, I seriously doubt you will ever move on. Just let it go.

Lose 5 years and tell me how you might feel.....

How bout........I'll speak the truth and speak when I feel the need to do so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btcbuyerapp

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,