Issues with the Artistry of Wildlife

I've followed and read through all this crap from the beginning. I researched and kept up with the Harris postings on this forum. At one time I was thinking of using him for some work. But even the posts of a few years ago had an "edge" to them I didn't care for. Luckily, I never used him. Even before his physical issues, he was showing odd behavior traits. At some point I usually give up trying to understand why certain people do things that defy simple logic or who exhibit irrational behavior. I believe there is and has been more to this story than can be explained by his most recent physical issues and impairment. I hope those who have missing items get it sorted out, but it doesn't look good. :( Unfortunately, taxidermy seems to attract some odd practitioners. This story of a taxidermist gone wacky/MIA is by no means unique. I lost a cape and head to one a long time ago. Again, lucky in that it was not a particularly great or meaningful trophy and IIRC my deposit at that time was fairly small. Looking back, I consider that a very inexpensive education.

Actually talked to him on the phone. All his work at the time was extremely clean. His prices were not bad, the same as any good shop that are known for good work. Purchase a bison rug he had for sale. It never shipped, was able to get my money back pretty quickly. Had a feeling after that I was no longer comfortable with him. I feel fortunate I did not pursue any more business after that.

Dennis continues to have health issues. He has had a Mule deer of mine for a quite a while now.
He works less hours. But was back to finishing customer backlogs.

I drop in on him occasionally, it’s easy for me to be patient. He’s only :20 away and I trust him. The health issues put him in a bad way financially.

Of course I can only speak of my experiences.
My deer is drying and needs finishing from Jamie. He is slower for sure, but still sending out high quality work.

I don’t want to deny or defend. But if he did in fact steal your claws
what would he do with leopard claws.

I think I can safely say the novelty of collecting animal parts, hides, mounts and horns has long ago worn off on him.

Again, I don’t know who says their claws were stolen. But I know for a fact how many of his own mounts are in his display room and basically laying all over.
My wife’s recent whitetail mout
IMG_6609.jpeg
IMG_6610.jpeg
IMG_6396.jpeg

I just cannot imagine him stealing someone’s claws.
These bears still had their claws. And I know people would buy them also.

I am only making counterpoints I do not want to get into an argument. we both have our own facts

Attachments

• IMG_6612.jpeg
    IMG_6612.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 55
  • IMG_6608.jpeg
    IMG_6608.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 143
  • IMG_0495.jpeg
    IMG_0495.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 54
Last edited by a moderator:
I am not here to defend or condemn him. But with respect to the leopard's claws, did the cape go to a tannery between the client and Dennis?

Could it be possible that the claws were stolen before the hide went into the crate? Seems like the sale of these items in Africa is probably more profitable than trying to sell them in the US.

I don't have a dog in this fight, just being curious here.

I have to say, the man appears to do exceptional work!

My brother in law and I trusted Dennis with our mounts from our first safari. Though it definitely took time and patience, Dennis finished our mounts and delivered my brother in law's as recently as a month or so ago and mine were delivered prior to that.

all good here. And I am not here disputing any issues others have had. Just stating my experience. I know he’s not the same man he was 15 years ago.

I continue to be very sad to see these threads. Dennis has had a lot of challenges in the last several years that certainly exacerbated what was already minimal communication and customer service. I found him to be generally pleasant to talk with when I could get him to answer or reply. He finished all of my mounts and they were hand delivered about a year ago. This was two safari’s worth including two lions and a huge brown bear. They are all of exceptional quality. I am continually amazed by them as I get to admire them in my den. I walk the halls of shows like DSC and cannot find any that I like better or consider better quality and I am very very picky (especially on cats). It took a looong time to get them. Part of that was my asking him to wait for a few years as we were planning and building a house that provided space for them but then his health issues certainly added to it. I am not going to lie that I was worried about it a few times but he did come through with beautiful work. I may be the exception rather than the rule but I hope that is not the case in the end and that everyone eventually gets their trophies and they completed to the high standard mine were.

The missing claws issue is an odd one. I wouldn’t think there would be absolutely anything for him to gain by swiping someone’s claws. I would also wonder if they weren’t swiped in Africa before export but who know. Unfortunate situation for all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Every time I read this thread, it makes me grateful for what I have. My taxidermist isn't a competition guy, but as a former taxidermist myself, I feel like I know good work when I see it and he does well above average work that I am very happy with. His prices are very reasonable, and his speed is simply incredible. On my first trip to Africa in 2021 he had my hides and horns from the shipper in early 2022 - I don't remember the month, maybe early February. I was able to pick up my tanned flat hides in March, and he had my two shoulder mounts done and shipped in early May. He is retired military and a one man, full time studio, and I have never met anyone who communicates better, with providing updates and photos. Again, I am tickled he's my guy, especially when I read stuff like this.

And I agree with @Dewald about @gizmo. I have never done any business with Gizmo, but it sure seems like he runs his business in a good way, and he's always been a solid member here.

Use Dennis as a taxidermist or do not. Your choice.

If there is something pertinent that will ADD VALUE to the thread please post it.

Otherwise, .......

@Altitude sickness when did you drop off your mule deer? I have a baboon shoulder mount that was paid in full sent in Oct 2016. Still waiting :mad:. I also have friend who sent a tanned lion skin to him for a rug around 2018- not a word back. 50% deposit paid on that. Dennis quit replying to me about 4 yrs ago when he basically sent him an email to sue him if I didn't like it.

Also, it was my understanding that Jaime had left his shop after the big health issue and had opened his own. It was the ONLY reason I sent my baboon to Dennis in the first place bc I wanted Jamie to work his finish magic. Do you have confirmation Jaime is still working with Denis at least in some capacity?

I understand that Jamie comes in to finish the work as needed. I agree, Jamie does nice work.

I am fine with Dennis finishing it too. I’m pretty much done having anything more mounted. Running out of room.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leonslab

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.