Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa,Zimbabwe,Sweden
Like every other normal Sunday morning I wake up,start the coffee up and take the GSP puppy outside,while she does what puppies do I have my coffee a smoke and read through a few posts here on AH and on FB.

This morning while reading a post on FB I just about swallowed my smoke and choked on my coffee. I will simply give you the highlights of the post.

Fellows get up in the morning to hunt Giraffe. Start up the airplane and go look for said Giraffe,find said Giraffe and radio truck to pick them up at the landing strip. Jump in the truck and race to the place Giraffe was spotted,put a arrow in the Giraffe "one inch off target" wait 40 minutes,add one more arrow to the Giraffe " one inch left off target" chase Giraffe a mile or two and shoot Giraffe with a 270. Take photos off to a hide to shoot Zebra.

Am I the only one who finds this a bit disturbing? Is this what hunting is all about? No wonder I am not fully booked,don't have a desire to hunt this way for any money.

These are the kind of posts on social media that will be the death of hunting as we know it.....because someone chooses to "hunt" this way, then all African hunting is painted with this brush, and it quickly becomes a "rich man's" sport.
With the current push to ban lion hunts, and the harassment of air carriers to not ship legally taken trophies, I would not be surprised if what you saw on FB isn't taken by the anti's and twisted to fit their agenda (although I must admit that there isn't much to twist here, IMHO). I would be embarassed to make such a post (waiting 40 minutes for something to die, then shooting it again and waiting another 40 minutes.....that's just wrong on so many levels).
We will all be painted with that broad brush, mark my words.............and it won't be the antis doing the painting, but the nonhunting public whose support we so desperately need.:(

As others have posted, it is illegal in Canada and Alaska and most states out west that I know of...................

No wonder I am not fully booked,don't have a desire to hunt this way for any money.

I'm sorry that you aren't fully booked, but I am glad to see that there are still outfitters out there with ethics & morals that don't see hunting as just an opportunity to line their pocket......and I thank you for that!(y)

Come on guys - based on arguments made on a couple of other threads - if this was legal where it took place, shouldn't all hunters join together and embrace this character's legal right to chase down a giraffe with an aircraft and to torture it with a bow for a couple of hours before killing it. After all, if was legally done, who are we to get on our " high horses" as someone said on the other thread, to say another form of hunting is unethical?

And should my sarcasm be lost on anyone, yes I find this unethical and harmful to our sport regardless of legality.

Every time I have been those dang giraffes could be spotted easily....and they spotted us as well. No way to hunt a game animal, maybe coyotes or pigs for eradication.

I understand that a Giraffe is not exactly a Duiker when it comes to skinning and capeing and I for one knows it takes about 16 hours for 2 guys to cape a full mount Giraffe bull up to were you can put salt on the skin (500+ pounds of salt, several knives,a nick or two in your own skin and lots of liquid reinforcement).
Still can't see why you need a plane or why you should let it suffer for so long.
If you want to shop,go to Wal-Mart,if you want to hunt then do it right.

Thanks @ Mr.16 gauge I would rather not hunt at all than kill the way they did.

Come on guys - based on arguments made on a couple of other threads - if this was legal where it took place, shouldn't all hunters join together and embrace this character's legal right to chase down a giraffe with an aircraft and to torture it with a bow for a couple of hours before killing it. After all, if was legally done, who are we to get on our " high horses" as someone said on the other thread, to say another form of hunting is unethical?

And should my sarcasm be lost on anyone, yes I find this unethical and harmful to our sport regardless of legality.

@Red Leg This hunt may have been legal,but anyone who thinks it was ethical have got their moral compass screwed up.

The guy (me) who think some ride there high horse to much sometimes also likes to use common sense. So i see a big difference in some stuff that had been talked about lately. I would not hunt like this but before we all jump in to another pissing match we all may want to look at how we hunt and what we use to do so. We all tend to throw stones in are glass houses.

@Red Leg This hunt may have been legal,but anyone who thinks it was ethical have got their moral compass screwed up.

As I say, I had hoped the sarcasm wasn't lost. But if we don't police our sport - from an ethical perspective - it will be policed for us.

I also find in odd that because it was a bow shot the word torture gets added. Animals dont drop dead from a bow shot. You normally wait and let the animal bed down to pass. If you can you get a second shot. Hell here in the states bow hunting you dont get the option of finishing it off with a gun. So I guess next is we stop bow hunting as it does not make some happy and after all everyone gets there animals with guns on the first and only shoot.

Questions of the legitimacy of the post or could this be some anti antics looking for sensation and bad press for the hunting industry as a whole?

If not.... name and shame??

Last edited:
I also find in odd that because it was a bow shot the word torture gets added. Animals dont drop dead from a bow shot. You normally wait and let the animal bed down to pass. If you can you get a second shot. Hell here in the states bow hunting you dont get the option of finishing it off with a gun. So I guess next is we stop bow hunting as it does not make some happy and after all everyone gets there animals with guns on the first and only shoot.

I think you're missing the main point Bill, which is that a plane was used to find the animal for the "hunt." That isn't hunting in most peoples' s book, including mine. I will even assume for a second it is legal there, which I wonder about. I still won't support it. Redleg made a great point the other day about getting legalities and ethics intertwines when we shouldn't.

No one sais bow hunting should be made illegal because it doesnt kill quickly enough. To me, the bow is a side event, although an embarrassing one for the hunter. Two arrows, "one inch off" and they chase the giraffe for miles? I've never hunted giraffe, but didn't know the kill zone was .5 of an inch.

Last edited:

I used the word "torture" because I meant it Bill. I bow hunt. I am pretty good at it. And what this character did to that giraffe is reprehensible. He clearly needs to learn to shoot. Throw in the aircraft used for spotting, and I find nothing to ethically defend about this hunt. Sorry. And if enough stories like it get out, which they seem to do with ever increasing frequency in this wified world, then yes, we are merely adding additional ammunition to those who want to ban the practice

I got the point and even said i would not do it that way. My point is once again a story of a hunt or shoot gets stuff added to it that helps no one. Bringing the word torture into the story helps who and what. I get his point but this being a bad deal just dont think we need to add more to an already bad story.

I did not look at the video and will not I read the post and if the shot was off 1 inch hard to say if he was a bad shot or not. Again going by what the post said. I have lost an animal bow hunting and it happens.

My feelings as well.

As I say, I had hoped the sarcasm wasn't lost. But if we don't police our sport - from an ethical perspective - it will be policed for us.

The sarcasm was not lost. It was spot on and the point of it glowed.

Definitely not hunting in any shape or form

Absolutely!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrittGibb4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross