Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
England, USA: NY, PA, NC, SC, GA, AL, FL, TX, AZ, MT, WY, AK
Copied from the sale site on another forum.

"WTS/WTT Remington 1917 action chambered in 375H&H Mag with New Vortex Diamondback 1.75-5x32 scope. Gun is in great shape. Couple of small blemishes on barrel and small rust spot on bolt knob. Comes with about 60rds of ammo. Asking $450"

Cant copy the pics but other then the rust on bolt handle it looks alright. I have been looking for a 375h&h but not sure a converted 30-06 on this action is a good choice? I like the price of course but don't want to waste $400 on a pile. Is there something I should ask for better pics of to be sure about?

Thanks
Dale

Copied from the sale site on another forum.

"WTS/WTT Remington 1917 action chambered in 375H&H Mag with New Vortex Diamondback 1.75-5x32 scope. Gun is in great shape. Couple of small blemishes on barrel and small rust spot on bolt knob. Comes with about 60rds of ammo. Asking $450"

Cant copy the pics but other then the rust on bolt handle it looks alright. I have been looking for a 375h&h but not sure a converted 30-06 on this action is a good choice? I like the price of course but don't want to waste $400 on a pile. Is there something I should ask for better pics of to be sure about?

Thanks
Dale

Unless it's from a well known Professional Rifle Maker (such as Dave Caboth, Griffin & Howe, etc., etc.,), buying any "custom" made rifle that you cannot inspect personally beforehand, is always synonymous with rolling dice (or worse).

I will actually be in Texas the end of this month and may be able to work something out with seeing it first. That said, I don't know what I should look out for

Attachments

• IMG_0971_zpscmobldqw.jpeg
    IMG_0971_zpscmobldqw.jpeg
    195.2 KB · Views: 376
Last edited:
the 1917 is a strong action.. a lot of them have been converted to .375... I think at that price it is probably at least worth looking at/considering.. depending on what the 60 rounds of ammo is, that alone could be worth 1/2 the total price he is asking (youre really probably paying $230-$250 for the rifle.. and $150-$180 for the ammo).. factor in the value of the optic, bases, rings, etc.. (used, all together probably worth $100).. and youre actually only paying about $130-$150 for the rifle...

If a .375 is something youre really wanting.. and youre on a tight budget... and this rifle checks out to at least be in decent condition/safe... thats a pretty affordable way to get into a .375....

I just found the ad....

In one of the owners last posts he states "make an offer"...

If I didnt already have a Win 70 in .375, I'd be PM'ing him now offering $375 sight unseen.. and see how he responds...

just my $0.02

James Wayne Firearms has NIB CZ 550 375's for 899.99
You know what you are getting that way.
Gunbroker Item # 615159084
Not sure where you are in Texas but James is in Victoria, TX
Cheers,
Cody

I already pmed him and asked about shipping or if wants could meet up end of this month. I just don't want a literal bomb whether it's $100 or $1000.

Any specifics to look at for quality sake?

Cody: I appreciate the link! I haven't been actively looking because don't "need" it but was intrigued by the price. I have put my hands on a couple CZs at gun shows but haven't made commitment to spend that money yet

Last edited:
Can you find out what pressures the 1917 Remington actions were "proofed" at? Then compare that pressure to what you can expect from a 375 H & H. I recently had a Remington 03- A3 rebarreled as a 35 Whelen and love it. If you have a reputable gunsmith in your area you might ask his opinion about the conversion. If he says yes it is done all the time or I've done a number of them over the years without any problem I'd jump on the purchase. On the other hand if he is doubtful or hesitant in any way I'd keep on looking.

I would look online at all the data you could find on 1917 metallurgy for that rifle date. I did that prior to converting a Mauser 98, that I pegged to WWII, I converted it to 338-06 without issue, but there were some 98's I would have left alone due to metallurgy.

The guy flaked and after responding to couple text just stopped... idk if someone snatched it up or what but it wasn't me

Sounds like lucky you, I have a CZ in 458 Lott that I really like. I have a Win model 70 in 375 H&H that I love. I would save for what you want, and can get in either of these for a reasonable cost. Hunt around, take your time and you can get a decent 375 for around 1K.

I did some looking yesterday, while I couldn't find any info re. "proof loads" for the Remington 1917 I did find a statement that said the Remington 1917 had one of the strongest Military Actions ever built. Reportedly it is stronger than the action of an "0-3 Springfield. If I were concerned about the conversion, ask your gunsmith.

Maybe I'll text the guy again. I'll be in his neck of the woods next week maybe wake him up

Just did some further checking on Remington 1917 conversions. These rifles actions were made to use the Pederson device and were longer than necessary for a 30-05. Remington and Winchester versions are the better actions to convert. The Eddystone Arsenal versions were considerably harder and subject to issues when removing and replacing the barrel. Apparently there are no issues converting a Remington 1917 to a 375 H & H. It is just a barrel swap and s suggested trigger replacement. This info was all easily found online. Hope it helps.

The 1914/1917 was built considerably larger than it needed to be for the 303/30-06. I know of several that were rebarrelled/chambered to large cartridges such as the 404 and 404 related wildcats. As noted, the Winchester and Remington ones had less issues than the Eddystone ones- primarily due to heat treating systems. the 1917 can be turned into a first rate large bore rifle, but doing so involves a large outlay of cash for all of the gunsmithing (removing the rear sight/dog ears, replacing the bolt handle, new stock, new barrel, etc) that is involved.

Can you find out what pressures the 1917 Remington actions were "proofed" at? Then compare that pressure to what you can expect from a 375 H & H. I recently had a Remington 03- A3 rebarreled as a 35 Whelen and love it. If you have a reputable gunsmith in your area you might ask his opinion about the conversion. If he says yes it is done all the time or I've done a number of them over the years without any problem I'd jump on the purchase. On the other hand if he is doubtful or hesitant in any way I'd keep on looking.
@Shootist43
If they were good enough for Holland and Holland to convert to bespoke 375s and Art Alpin to use for his big A square magnums and are a lot stronger than the 98 mausers according to P.O. Ackley I don't think there will be anything wrong with it in 375.
Bob

Just did some further checking on Remington 1917 conversions. These rifles actions were made to use the Pederson device and were longer than necessary for a 30-05. Remington and Winchester versions are the better actions to convert. The Eddystone Arsenal versions were considerably harder and subject to issues when removing and replacing the barrel. Apparently there are no issues converting a Remington 1917 to a 375 H & H. It is just a barrel swap and s suggested trigger replacement. This info was all easily found online. Hope it helps.
@Shootist43
With the Eddystone being harder that's a load of old horse hockey.
The problem arose with removing some of the barrels in all M17's and P14s due to the barrel being put in using a hydraulic wrenches.
Some of these were over tightened and when you get someone that doesn't know this the end result is cracked actions.
My gunsmith overcome this issue by running a hacksaw around the barrel receiver junction. This breaks the seal and in a lot of cases the barrel can be placed in a barrel vice and the action spun off by hand. The stubborn ones still unscrew with very little effort with an action wrench.
The metallurgy was the same in all the rifles some were just finished a bit better.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MUABritney

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross