Is there an African animal you wouldn't shoot?

I literally can’t think of any animal I wouldn’t shoot. I have no interest in elephant. But if for Free I would dispatch one.

Poachers ......... as have not been able to get a licence ..... would be unethical to hunt without

Poachers.SOSSTK. Shoot On Sight Shoot To Kill.

bovine species for me personally hold no allure. I have killed in the area of 500 hundred head of cattle in abattoirs, and around a third as many which couldn't be caught and required shooting in the field/woods. So anything with a cattle style head just looks like work at this point.

Quite a few posts say no to this or that type of game animal...I'm NOT for a second questioning anyone's moral or ethical choices. However (you knew this was coming :cool:) would an animal being obviously sick or seriously wounded change your calculus? For example, I wouldn't shoot a primate or elephant. Ever. However if it were suffering and near death I probably would assuming it were otherwise legal for me to do so. I'd also try and have plenty of CYA documentation. But perhaps that's just being humane and not really the essence of the OP.

I'll go with that. I can't stand to see any animal suffer. No matter what it is, put it out of its misery.

I wouldn't shoot an elephant, rhino, hippo, or any primate unless they were intent on doing me severe damage. Not out of any ethical or moral reason, just because I have no interest in them as trophies or food or what-have-you. Probably a bunch more smaller critters because I wasn't interested in them as trophies or saw no particular reason to bother with them.

Now, a lion? If, say, there were hundreds of thousands of strong healthy lions and it was deemed morally and ethically acceptable to shoot one of them? I'm not 100% sure I could. Leopard or cheetah, I think so, but even with a vast surplus of lions, I'm not sure I could shoot one nor that I'd want to even after a day of finding the perfect one for me.

Oh, or a fennec fox. Might sound silly but those are just too goddamned cute to me!

Really nothing I wouldn't shoot. But there are a some I am not really interested in hunting.

Tiny ten doesn't get me excited.

Water species like hippo and Crocs also don't excite me.

But again the above is purely just my preferences. Not any particular ethical or moral reason.

Really nothing I wouldn't shoot. But there are a some I am not really interested in hunting.

Tiny ten doesn't get me excited.

Water species like hippo and Crocs also don't excite me.

But again the above is purely just my preferences. Not any particular ethical or moral reason.

Exactly the same here .. i am just not sure what will happen if I happen to see a hippo on land by chance ..

If we want to deepen this question it could get a very sensitive topic. There are animals that are not shot because they have no interest for us but with others you can be against hunting these species.

I don't shoot leopards and lions , and even i disapprove this kind of hunting , especially lions. It's about the meaning of this hunt , because you hunt mainly to get meat. Surely we only do that nowadays for our pleasure , but the deepest sense should remain. Since hardly anyone feeds on lion meat , what is the point of this hunt ? We don't need to speak of the damage caused in the social structure of a pride when a trophy lion is shot. I don't want to say more on this topic.

I've read nearly this entire thread with interest. And honestly surprise at many responses. All good though.
Everyone is different on what drives us.
That said, with money not being a factor and all legalities considered.
There is nothing that walks this earth that doesn't interest me.

I recall comments, elsewhere, about some antelope species forming lasting "family units", and that causing a dislike of killing them.

I recall comments, elsewhere, about some antelope species forming lasting "family units", and that causing a dislike of killing them.

This is also a problem when hunting trophy elephants. There is no reason to be surprised if young elephants cause damage.

That's the big problem by trophy hunting in the practice. Unfortunately , it rarely has anything to do with selection shooting of game like we do that in Europe. We need hunting in Africa to preserve and protect the animals , there is no other way , but whether the trophy hunting is the good way , i am not so sure.

If we want to deepen this question it could get a very sensitive topic. There are animals that are not shot because they have no interest for us but with others you can be against hunting these species.

I don't shoot leopards and lions , and even i disapprove this kind of hunting , especially lions. It's about the meaning of this hunt , because you hunt mainly to get meat. Surely we only do that nowadays for our pleasure , but the deepest sense should remain. Since hardly anyone feeds on lion meat , what is the point of this hunt ? We don't need to speak of the damage caused in the social structure of a pride when a trophy lion is shot. I don't want to say more on this topic.

I don't have first hand knowledge of what happened to the meat from my lion, however, I suspect that it became food for someone. It's Africa - a land where many people are desperate for any protein.

I can tell you that mountain lion is quite good to eat.

The meat was just a very minor reason why you shouldn't hunt lions. There are several other reasons why this hunting should be considered. This affects the entire trophy hunt , where it is only a matter of shooting the most beautiful , strongest and largest animal.

Here is an article commenting on some aspects of lion hunting. I agree partly with that , but there are very different opinions on the subject.

https://theconversation.com/lion-hu...-its-part-of-a-package-of-interventions-61531

...but as I said , I don't want to deepen the subject too much , it is a sensitive topic by the african hunters.

Last edited:
The meat was just a very minor reason why you shouldn't hunt lions. There are several other reasons why this hunting should be considered. This affects the entire trophy hunt , where it is only a matter of shooting the most beautiful , strongest and largest animal.

I don’t know how common this practice is, but on the BVC they do not shoot Elephant, Buffalo or Lion out of breeding herds/prides.

Buffalo and Lion only old males on their own or in bachelor groups are hunted.

Elephant only lone males, typically ones that have busted their way in.

I don’t know how common this practice is, but on the BVC they do not shoot Elephant, Buffalo or Lion out of breeding herds/prides.

Buffalo and Lion only old males on their own or in bachelor groups are hunted.

Elephant only lone males, typically ones that have busted their way in.

At least it will be tried in many places , but if you consider what a client pays , it is sometimes very difficult to convince him not to shoot a nice trophy that does not meet the criteria. If you want to make selected shooting in a large open area , you have to reckon with the fact that more often the client will go empty at home and that's not good for business.

For me it has to be rhino due to numbers and pangolin because when they walk around they look so cute. II also have to add aardvark to that once again due to numbers

In my opinion not hunting an animal for fear of public backlash is counted as a win by the antis. Doubly no money is exchanged for trophy fee so the species loses as well... the main focus should be on explaining to friend/acquaintances that the trigger pull on that animal is only 1 percentage of the experience and not necessarily a hunters favorite part of the hunt. That it’s the chase, the tracking, the pursuit, the adventure, the travel, the research the Conservation before and after the hunt that brings us together as hunters and conservationists.

This times 10! I think if a person wants to hunt an animal they should. Backlash or not. However we each have the ability to keep some things (the photos of possible backlash animals) private. Educate those closest to you who know the type of person you are, and your moral code about the "backlash" animals that you may hunt, and start there.

Assuming it is a legal and ethical hunt, and ignoring any considerations of population size, price tag, etc., I can't think of a single animal I wouldn't hunt.

However, I do have a mental list of critters I'd like to chase around the world, and it is ever changing in the order of preference. My wallet is the primary factor that dictates the list. For example, I currently have little to no interest in the tiny 10, but would happily take them if included as a free add-on to a hunt.

The big cats and anything I wouldn’t eat...so basically just deer, antelope, etc that are good on the grill will my sites train in on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg