Is there an African animal you wouldn't shoot?

Few years ago when was picking up my cruiser I bought there had to meet the dealer as they forgot to put the winch control lead and couple of other things in when delivered to my friends.... So was told we would meet half way at nylstroom.... And that was what my sat nav came up with....so was bit concerned when on the road it made me follow signs to modimolle ......phoned my friend and he said it's the same....had same problem with town near him....sat nav called it warmbaths.... But signs say bella_bella.....my sat nav obviously wasn't politically correct.... :D

Well my friend, that happens all over RSA, To put an example of a nearby town, if you plan on visiting Ellisras, you should follow the signs to Lephalale :D

Well my friend, that happens all over RSA, To put an example of a nearby town, if you plan on visiting Ellisras, you should follow the signs to Lephalale :D

Yeah but check how long ago the names changed..... My sat nav was made way after.....so as I said must have a PC mind of its own...... :whistle::D

It doesn’t logically make sense, but I wouldn’t shoot any cats in Africa even though I would blast a mountain lion here in Arizona with no remorse. Also wouldn’t shoot an elephant or rhino .... though I’d love to dart a rhino. Unlike many on this thread I’d have no problem taking a giraffe.

I really just don't get the won't hunt ele statements here.......in the correct country walk your arse off...get in so close ....no good....walk your arse back off to cruiser.... Then repeat....tired..thirsty..tangle with a few thorns.....repeat..... Walk your arse off get in closer ...nothing good.....repeat......repeat.....then you might or might not get the one you are looking for......but hopefully you do....and then you will have achieved something.... If you don't get what you are looking for.... Well you will still have had the experience of a lifetime..... And I am talking bout countries where you can do that.....:D Beers:

I really just don't get the won't hunt ele statements here.......in the correct country walk your arse off...get in so close ....no good....walk your arse back off to cruiser.... Then repeat....tired..thirsty..tangle with a few thorns.....repeat..... Walk your arse off get in closer ...nothing good.....repeat......repeat.....then you might or might not get the one you are looking for......but hopefully you do....and then you will have achieved something.... If you don't get what you are looking for.... Well you will still have had the experience of a lifetime..... And I am talking bout countries where you can do that.....:D Beers:
I don’t really get it either Mike. To each his own I guess. It would be interesting to hear more about why folks feel that way. It is definitely one of the things from this thread that comes as a surprise to me. Hell, I thought everyone wanted to hunt elephant! :ROFLMAO:

I don’t really get it either Mike. To each his own I guess. It would be interesting to hear more about why folks feel that way. It is definitely one of the things from this thread that comes as a surprise to me. Hell, I thought everyone wanted to hunt elephant! :ROFLMAO:
I'm with you guys, cant wrap my brain around all the I would not shoot ?????????posts. On my first safari my wife said NO ele, then we got divorced, guess what was my primary animal on my 2rd safari? Thanks Wayne. Posts surprised me also from an African hunting site, I shot more game (trophy, bait, ration, cull and rabies) on my last Safari (42 animals) than I have in 42 years hunting here in BC. I am afraid that you asked for the why's. Waiting for the "ooh so cute how could you" comments. Please, please NO. Its AH.

MB

I hunted rhino with a camera, and that satisfied that itch. Just not enough left in my opinion to convince myself to take one.

For me it's just the nature of the animal. I've spent my whole life being taught that shooting game like that is a bad thing, it's a hard attitude to shake.

Now I've studied it a bit I get it. If someone wants to shoot an elephant then I won't judge, you 100% have my support. But I'm not sure I could do it even knowing why it should happen. Double standards on my part for sure - I'll happily take a deer or most other species if they are causing trouble or their population balance isn't right. Maybe one day I'll adapt - it could well change when I go to Africa for my buff and get more involved in what they do first hand?

For now I want a buff. There are loads of them and they look like food. I still want the right buff though, an old one or a cull animal. My opinions of taking trophies of the best examples of any animals wouldn't make me many friends here. It's not for me, lets just put it that way. To me a trophy is an old animal past it's best, not something that's in it's prime.

For me it's just the nature of the animal. I've spent my whole life being taught that shooting game like that is a bad thing, it's a hard attitude to shake.

Now I've studied it a bit I get it. If someone wants to shoot an elephant then I won't judge, you 100% have my support. But I'm not sure I could do it even knowing why it should happen. Double standards on my part for sure - I'll happily take a deer or most other species if they are causing trouble or their population balance isn't right. Maybe one day I'll adapt - it could well change when I go to Africa for my buff and get more involved in what they do first hand?

For now I want a buff. There are loads of them and they look like food. I still want the right buff though, an old one or a cull animal. My opinions of taking trophies of the best examples of any animals wouldn't make me many friends here. It's not for me, lets just put it that way. To me a trophy is an old animal past it's best, not something that's in it's prime.
I can certainly understand where you are coming from. And while we may view ele a little differently, we sure share the same mindset on buffalo! An old, beat up and broken or scrum cap bull... now that is a hunt and a trophy!

Basically that's what you are looking for in a trophy bull ele....and you say you happy hunting buff as plenty.... But there are plenty ele in areas where you can hunt them....in fact way too many in some areas/countries for the carrying capacity...... And in most Ares the meat ain't wasted just cos you not eating it.......

Basically that's what you are looking for in a trophy bull ele....and you say you happy hunting buff as plenty.... But there are plenty ele in areas where you can hunt them....in fact way too many in some areas/countries for the carrying capacity...... And in most Ares the meat ain't wasted just cos you not eating it.......

I know what you mean. Everything you say is spot on, I just have some sort of mental block when it comes to elephant and rhino. When you look at the issues the elephants have due to habitat destruction (by themselves) and the long walks between food and water etc causing the whole population a real problem, I should be perfectly happy to shoot one. It makes perfect sense to control their numbers both for human gain and for their own welfare. I'm just don't want to be the person doing it which is a little odd even to me. It's a feeling I can't justify, but it's there none the less.

I hunted elephant. Got a nice one, and felt a range of emotions I didn’t expect. Huge, magnificent animals. And I wouldn’t hesitate to do it again. The hard part isn’t finding them typically - as @spike.t says, where you can hunt them there are generally quite a few. It’s the hunt which is challenging. You don’t run up to these things. You find tracks, You follow them and then you sneak up, the wind has to be perfect, you time your movements to when they are eating, freezing when they stop chewing, and then once you’ve gotten real close (often closer than 25 yards), you usually back out very carefully and equally quietly, to do it again in hopes of a larger bull. This isn’t hunting kudu!

An animal is an animal is an animal. The only distinction I draw is legality.

I know what you mean. Everything you say is spot on, I just have some sort of mental block when it comes to elephant and rhino. When you look at the issues the elephants have due to habitat destruction (by themselves) and the long walks between food and water etc causing the whole population a real problem, I should be perfectly happy to shoot one. It makes perfect sense to control their numbers both for human gain and for their own welfare. I'm just don't want to be the person doing it which is a little odd even to me. It's a feeling I can't justify, but it's there none the less.

Wow.....ok but honestly don't get it....you if can afford to hunt one in a country where you can do it properly will have the ultimate hunt.....

I hunted elephant. Got a nice one, and felt a range of emotions I didn’t expect. Huge, magnificent animals. And I wouldn’t hesitate to do it again. The hard part isn’t finding them typically - as @spike.t says, where you can hunt them there are generally quite a few. It’s the hunt which is challenging. You don’t run up to these things. You find tracks, You follow them and then you sneak up, the wind has to be perfect, you time your movements to when they are eating, freezing when they stop chewing, and then once you’ve gotten real close (often closer than 25 yards), you usually back out very carefully and equally quietly, to do it again in hopes of a larger bull. This isn’t hunting kudu!

An animal is an animal is an animal. The only distinction I draw is legality.
We think exactly alike, emotional experience I never expected and was unprepared for, (same with sheep), law is my only stopper for hunting any species. Also ele tastes awesome, fresh, skewered on stick and roasted over open fire. I will hunt another...

Traditional teaching is another obstacle, challenge and emotional hurdle, eye opening seeing dogs in cages on farms as cows walk around unhampered.

MB

I can totally understand both sides of this one! We are hunters. As such we all have an enjoyment or appreciation of at least one of the aspects of hunting. I would imagine for most of us it would be many or nearly all aspects of it. I can understand why a hunter would be confused that another hunter wouldn't want to hunt an animal that could be legally and ethically hunted. And I also understand people not having a desire to hunt certain animals or even being opposed to it. Years ago a friend of mine had a cat that was very sick. My friend asked me if I could come over and shoot it because she couldn't really afford to take it into the vet, and she didn't think it would make the night. When I told her that I couldn't do it she was okay with it and said she understood. Then she asked me what I was doing the following night after work. When I told her that I had no plans, she said that if it isn't doing any better but is still alive then perhaps I could come out then and shoot it. She had misunderstood what I meant when I said I couldn't do it. She just thought that I must be too busy to do it that night. She didn't understand that I would have a hard time bringing myself to shoot her (her kid's) pet. And I'm I'm not a cat person. I'm a dog person. I make jokes about how they make new cats every day! LOL She couldn't understand how it would be difficult for me considering the amount of animals that I've hunted. I tried to explain to her that internally for me it's just different. I don't think she ever did fully understand. I think it's the same type of situation here. Some people are comfortable shooting some animals and some are not. There is no right or wrong. I eat meat. I believe that animals should be harvested for meat. But I would not like to go to China and eat dog! It's just a different mindset that I have compared to those that live there. There have been quite a few people on here that have mentioned they would not like to shoot a primate. I would imagine that they are somewhat uncomfortable with shooting an animal that reminds them of a human. Personally, I believe that the determining factor for not wanting to shoot an elephant would be awareness. from what I have read, heard, and learned about elephants and their behavior they are far more similar to humans than baboons are! They look nothing like us but they seem to have emotions and self-awareness. Many animals don't have that. Just things to think about, and remember that nobody on here is right or wrong just because our opinions may vary. I will also add that for the most part people have been supportive of others shooting animals that they themselves are not comfortable shooting. It's just not for them personally, and I for one can appreciate that.

I can totally understand both sides of this one! We are hunters. As such we all have an enjoyment or appreciation of at least one of the aspects of hunting. I would imagine for most of us it would be many or nearly all aspects of it. I can understand why a hunter would be confused that another hunter wouldn't want to hunt an animal that could be legally and ethically hunted. And I also understand people not having a desire to hunt certain animals or even being opposed to it. Years ago a friend of mine had a cat that was very sick. My friend asked me if I could come over and shoot it because she couldn't really afford to take it into the vet, and she didn't think it would make the night. When I told her that I couldn't do it she was okay with it and said she understood. Then she asked me what I was doing the following night after work. When I told her that I had no plans, she said that if it isn't doing any better but is still alive then perhaps I could come out then and shoot it. She had misunderstood what I meant when I said I couldn't do it. She just thought that I must be too busy to do it that night. She didn't understand that I would have a hard time bringing myself to shoot her (her kid's) pet. And I'm I'm not a cat person. I'm a dog person. I make jokes about how they make new cats every day! LOL She couldn't understand how it would be difficult for me considering the amount of animals that I've hunted. I tried to explain to her that internally for me it's just different. I don't think she ever did fully understand. I think it's the same type of situation here. Some people are comfortable shooting some animals and some are not. There is no right or wrong. I eat meat. I believe that animals should be harvested for meat. But I would not like to go to China and eat dog! It's just a different mindset that I have compared to those that live there. There have been quite a few people on here that have mentioned they would not like to shoot a primate. I would imagine that they are somewhat uncomfortable with shooting an animal that reminds them of a human. Personally, I believe that the determining factor for not wanting to shoot an elephant would be awareness. from what I have read, heard, and learned about elephants and their behavior they are far more similar to humans than baboons are! They look nothing like us but they seem to have emotions and self-awareness. Many animals don't have that. Just things to think about, and remember that nobody on here is right or wrong just because our opinions may vary. I will also add that for the most part people have been supportive of others shooting animals that they themselves are not comfortable shooting. It's just not for them personally, and I for one can appreciate that.

Excellent post

Thanks Cam

Excellent explanation, understand the pet feeling, I could/would NOT be the one who took, "Buddy or SOL" to final vet visit.

MB

Thanks guys!

When I moved to Montana as a kid I was surprised to see people catch a whitefish in the river, then dash it’s head on the rocks and leave it on the riverbank to rot. In Minnesota, smoked whitefish was a regular item in stores. In MT, it was trash.
Hunting and eating are closely intertwined in my mind. I think about venison recipes when hunting. At the same time it is sad to kill something, I am impressed with a genuine appreciation that the animal gave up so we could go on. I think many hunters have a similar mindset that the Native Americans did (and do). There is a circle of life that we are intimately involved in when we hunt and eat. Meat tastes better when you harvested it. We are less likely to waste it because we know what it takes to make it and harvest it.
My hunting ethic gets more complicated with the non-typical animals: coyote... anyone eat them? Crow? Leopard? Honey badger? With those animals the hunting may be population control or conservation dollars being invested.

Having this debate is good evidence of the high value we each hold for our personal hunting ethic. Whether you eat trout in Montana, or whitefish in Minnesota, or zebra in Namibia, we are all much more connected to the circle of life than a non hunter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MorrisFloc

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg