Is there an African animal you wouldn't shoot?

Discussion in 'Hunting Africa' started by Charles de Ribeau, Jul 11, 2019.

1. LivingTheDream

LivingTheDream AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Yeah forget once in a lifetime. I went with 4 guys this past year. It was my 3rd safari and their first. They were studying their lists and asking my opinion and asked why I didnt seem to worried about what I get. I told them it doesnt really matter, just gives me another reason to go back.

2. Royal27

Royal27 AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, NRA, SCI
    Hunted:
    USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
    For those who don't want to hunt an animal because the "numbers are too low" you might want to better educate yourself before making those statements.

Did any of you know that rhino numbers as one example were much lower UNTIL hunting was brought back to SA in 1968?

How about Argali ? Less than 200 animals and declining HAS to be too low of a number of animals to hunt, right? Then why is the current number almost 2000 animals and growing after being sub 200 as recently as 2003 without being hunted, then the numbers miraculously went up when hunting began?

https://www.iucn.org/commissions/co...uli-briefing-paper-informing-decisions-trophy

If someone doesn't want to hunt an animal for purely emotional reasons I get it. Don't do it. But, if you're justifying not hunting an animal based on "the numbers" it would behoove you to actually understand the numbers and not get them from some silly anti site or public opinion.

spike.t, cagkt3, enysse and 8 others like this.

3. Newboomer

Newboomer GOLD SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, SCI, American Legion, Freemasons
    Hunted:
    RSA, Maine, Montana, Colorado, Texas, Alaska, California.

chonk34,
    I agree with being careful where you post what. I don't do any social media except AH where we are all of one mind and understand hunting and trophies..

4. IdaRam

IdaRam SILVER SUPPORTER AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, NAHC Life Member, SCI, DSC, Wild Sheep Foundation, NSSF
    Hunted:
    Idaho, Montana, Utah, Wyoming, California, Alberta Canada, South Africa, Zimbabwe
    Here’s what Capstick had to say on the matter.
    “In a place as unbelievably vast as Africa, it is impossible to slap a valid label on a species as widely distributed as the elephant and decree it in danger or not. Whereas there may be, by way of example, extreme poaching pressure on jumbos in Kenya's Tsavo District, this has little to do with other areas of the animal’s range, which might be dangerously overpopulated.”
    “I was no stranger to the biggest wildlife problem in Africa today: elephant overpopulation.” ... “Each season had seen more and more land that was once available as elephant habitat fall to the ploughs and cattle of the tribes, and now the reserves were so over crowded with elephants that they were literally eating themselves - and other species - into destruction.”
    “The basic cause of the problem is the vastness of the elephant’s stomach and the methods he uses to fill it daily with the average of 600 pounds of forage necessary to keep his bulk going.” “...overpopulations and over concentrations of elephants kill trees faster than they can grow back...” “Shade is lost, which affects grass and predator-prey relationships. The symbiosis of many species is destroyed. Great amounts of soil are lost in the rains. If permitted to continue, elephant concentrations would destroy whole areas, turning them to deserts and effecting a death sentence on the elephants themselves.”

- Peter Hathaway Capstick - Death in the Long Grass - 1977

Sounds a bit like Capstick was sharing with us a premonition of Botswana’s Chobe and Okavango regions, eh? Or possibly Kruger in S.A., Transfrontier N.P., or a handful of areas in Zimbabwe, Zambia, Mozambique...

Dewald, Tom Hawk, Scott CWO and 3 others like this.

5. enysse

enysse AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    Totally 100% behind what you are saying!

Could not agree more! Having grown up a farm I saw the cycle of life first hand. Food comes from the field.

6. Hillbilly Marine

Hillbilly Marine AH Member

I haven't been there yet but for some reason I really can't get excited about kudo for some reason. They just have never tripped my trigger. Same with Hartebeast (to damn ugly) . I just never had the want for one. With that said I would take just about anything legal if I took a fancy to it!

7. enysse

enysse AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    Kudu is usually # 1 on my hit list every trip. Bushbuck being # 2. I’m always looking for a warthog! Love zebra hunting, I definitely would like to take more giraffe on a cull hunt. I’m really hoping to get a serval one day!

I definitely am open to eating everything I hunt and kill. I think there are certain animals that have less appeal than others. For me a wildcat looks like a cat I saw on the farm every day. In today’s world you better have an open mind and heart. It’s a tough world to live in with a closed mindset.

8. AZDAVE

AZDAVE AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Alaska,lower 48
    For me a Gorilla and rhino. I would consider my idea of a green hunt on the rhino though. That would be stalk in close and shot it with a paint ball and call it a day.

BeeMaa likes this.

9. BeeMaa

BeeMaa AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, SCI
    Hunted:
    Eastern US & RSA
    I've heard of people doing a dart gun research/hunt on Rhino.
    Once darted and down you can take a few pictures.
    Researchers then take measurements, samples, apply a tag and then you are done.

10. AZDAVE

AZDAVE AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Alaska,lower 48
    @BeeMaa I have looked into the dart, but they have to use such a large dose of tranquillizer that I don't want to knock it out as there is always a risk to any mammal when it is knocked out, I would just take a video of the stalk and the little round splat and I would be good with that.

BeeMaa likes this.

11. Ryan

Ryan AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    I need to amend my list
    Add color variations. Black impala, golden wildebeest, any of the colored springbok, etc. Zero interest. Too gimmicky to me, too much toying with nature.

Scott CWO and fourfive8 like this.

12. BeeMaa

BeeMaa AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, SCI
    Hunted:
    Eastern US & RSA
    Golden Wildebeest is naturally occurring, first documented in the 1920's in the Limpopo River Basin.
    Now they are selected and raised for the color of their coats, size of their horns and bodies.
    Just like every other animal on an outfitters price list.

As for the Impala and Springbok color variations, I don't know if they were naturally occurring or not.

13. Ryan

Ryan AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    I have hunted farms but from what I can tell their breeding, if any, has been based on diversity of the gene pool not focussing on very specific traits. So, to each their own. I'll leave the color phases to others who have an interest in the novelty and rarity.

14. BeeMaa

BeeMaa AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, SCI
    Hunted:
    Eastern US & RSA
    Wasn't judging you for not wanting to hunt color variations.
    Just making a point that there are cull hunts for a reason, fenced or otherwise.
    It's for the betterment of the species (at least in someones view).

Personally, I am looking forward to having a Golden Wildebeest rug one day.

15. Ryan

Ryan AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    None taken. Though selective breeding and culling are not alway the same. Culling may be to remove some less preferred genetics, but it is just as often used for proper population control.

BeeMaa likes this.

16. Charles de Ribeau

Charles de Ribeau AH Veteran

Member of:
    NRA Life
    Hunted:
    Namibia, RSA
    Well, I started this thread and have thoroughly enjoyed the discussion. However, I have sat back and not shared my own list. I will add one more qualifier to the question. Assume that the animal that you are going to pass up is healthy. There isn't anything that I wouldn't shoot if it needed to be put down because it was sick or injured.

OK, so now on to my list of apparently healthy animals that I don't think I would shoot. I'm not saying anyone else should the same preferences as me. As long as it's legal, go ahead and shoot what you want. Also, I know better than to say "I'll never shoot.", these are just my no-go animals as of today, as I sit at home.

My now list: honey badger (for me, just too amazing to shoot), aardvark (seen a couple in daylight and got pictures - that's good enough), steenbok, and probably all of the tiny ten. I've shot enough blue wildebeest and gemsbok, so unless an animal needed to be culled, I'd pass. Beyond those two, there are plenty of others that don't get me excited (like giraffe, springbok, etc.), but that's not the same as saying "I wouldn't shoot..."

I think that even if one of the animals on my list was huge, I would pass. I wouldn't appreciate it (at least as I imagine the situation). Better to leave it for someone who would be thrilled (even my PH if he wanted it). That was my rationale when I took a Shiras moose 4 years ago. I had a boatload of Colorado points for moose. I finally decided to apply. Most likely, with that many points, I could have drawn a bull tag on my first try. I decided to apply for a cow instead. My reasoning was that I have an absolutely huge Alaska/Yukon moose over the fireplace in my trophy room. Even if I took a monster Shiras, it would pale in comparison to the one that I have. I figured that it was better to leave the bull tag for someone who would be thrilled get one. So, I drew a cow tag and killed one. I checked off a second moose specie and got some excellent meat for my freezer. That seemed to me like an all around good outcome.

17. 35bore

35bore AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA,Missouri hunters ed, SCI, Owensville Gun Club, Quail Forever
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, France
    The only animal in the world I wouldn't hunt would be the one without a license. If it's legal and within range,,, ya I'd hunt it.

Scott CWO, Tom Hawk, MarkB and 3 others like this.

18. MarkB

MarkB AH Senior Member

Member of:
    NFA, SCI, DU, NA Hunter, BCWF, African Gazete
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, SA, Namibia, BC, AB, Ont
    I have a life-size ant bear, (aardvark), the most questioned/interesting talked about animal in room. I must green hunt a rhino, last for my big 5, cant expect to kill as above my pay grade. Moose are just awesome we hunt annually and am lucky to have a booner. Must admit every thing I hunt gets me excited in some way. Its in my blood. Great post BTW, good idea.

MB

Charles de Ribeau likes this.

19. Charles de Ribeau

Charles de Ribeau AH Veteran

Member of:
    NRA Life
    Hunted:
    Namibia, RSA
    I have to say that for me, elk ranks higher than moose. There is something about their bugling that lights my fire. Also, I think that elk is slightly better to eat than moose. But that's just a matter of taste. (Groan! Sorry couldn't resist the bad pun.)

Scott CWO likes this.

20. MarkB

MarkB AH Senior Member

Member of:
    NFA, SCI, DU, NA Hunter, BCWF, African Gazete
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, SA, Namibia, BC, AB, Ont
    Totally agree, elk do eat better on average, I have eaten moose you cut with a fork and others I have tried to eat and then only with the pressure cooker or crock pot and that was tenderloins. Elk bugles also light my fire, but so do a rut crazed bull moose I just called in. In BC I do not have access to elk as easy as moose. At least for now, our moose pop is/has crashed way down. Used to see 50-60 in a 3 week hunt and pick your bull, now lucky to see 6 and you better shoot first legal bull.

Il let you know about that Honey Badger, on my night list next year, along with many others. My problem is I just love all hunting.

MB