Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Asia/M.East
Member of
BASC
Hunted
England, Scotland & Wales - Muntjac, Chinese Water Deer, Roe, Fallow, Sika Red, Goat, Soay Sheep, Wild Boar, Holland - Wild Boar, Germany - Wild Boar, Czech Republic - Mouflon, Spain - Ibex, South Africa - Various PG, France - Chamois, Majorca - Balearean Boc, Kyrgyzstan - Mid Asian Ibex
Hi,

With just over 2 weeks to go until I fly out to SA, I am getting very excited about my upcoming safari!!

I am still dreaming of a monster bushbuck!!

I was recently told that bushbuck can only be hunted during June and July if they are in free ranging/low fenced areas, although they can be hunted in high fenced areas all year round.

I have never heard or seen this rule anywhere. Can anyone confirm whether this is correct? Or maybe I misunderstood what I was told?

Cheers

You as a foreign hunter will have a PH and Outfitter, as required by law. This is the basis of your hunting legally. In effect, your license.

To repeat all the laws would just make your head spin.
Every province has its own laws and add the national laws.

C.A.E's afford the ability to hunt year round on that property (and how).

Open and closed season: Provinces publish proclamations in the Government Gazette to announce the dates, times and condition for hunting in a particular province. Open or hunting season for biltong hunting is usually from May to August, but it can differ from province to province, and according to species.

270 be sure to share a hunting report with us upon you return. Pictures will be a welcomed addition to the site.

You as a foreign hunter will have a PH and Outfitter, as required by law. This is the basis of your hunting legally. In effect, your license.

To repeat all the laws would just make your head spin.
Every province has its own laws and add the national laws.

C.A.E's afford the ability to hunt year round on that property (and how).

Open and closed season: Provinces publish proclamations in the Government Gazette to announce the dates, times and condition for hunting in a particular province. Open or hunting season for biltong hunting is usually from May to August, but it can differ from province to province, and according to species.

Thanks for the explanation, it sounds like in the province I am visiting they must have closed seasons for bushbuck in the low fenced areas.

270 be sure to share a hunting report with us upon you return. Pictures will be a welcomed addition to the site.

Of course, a picture speaks a thousand words as they say.

I am also aiming to film some of my hunts, I carry my compact HD video camera almost everywhere I go. As I type this I am uploading a video of my friends shot at a beceite ibex on a recent hunt in Spain. I will post that in the videos section when I am done editing and uploading.

Hi,

With just over 2 weeks to go until I fly out to SA, I am getting very excited about my upcoming safari!!

I am still dreaming of a monster bushbuck!!

I was recently told that bushbuck can only be hunted during June and July if they are in free ranging/low fenced areas, although they can be hunted in high fenced areas all year round.

I have never heard or seen this rule anywhere. Can anyone confirm whether this is correct? Or maybe I misunderstood what I was told?

Cheers

Sir, first of all, I am yet to see a fence that keeps a Bushbuck in. They honestly go where they want, whenever they want. Bushbuck are excellent at crawling, and use the Warthog holes to move around.
However, it is possible to hunt Bushbuck on certain low fenced areas right through the year. Should you be interested in a Bushbuck hunt, please do not hesitate to contact me should you require any further information.

Take Care,
Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris

A short answer to your question sir.
Yes there is a legal season for bushbuck and for that matter all species in SA.
Usually its from 1May to 30August

If the landowner has exemtion on a high fenced property he can hunt all year round for 3 years.
If he has no exemption even if the farm is high fenced he has to apply for a hunting permit that is valid for 30 days only.

An exemption permit can only be obtained if the property is high fenced and has been inspected by an officer of Nature Conservation.

A short answer to your question sir.
Yes there is a legal season for bushbuck and for that matter all species in SA.
Usually its from 1May to 30August

If the landowner has exemtion on a high fenced property he can hunt all year round for 3 years.
If he has no exemption even if the farm is high fenced he has to apply for a hunting permit that is valid for 30 days only.

Bossie, not all species in SA have a season. It depends on the Province. In the Eastern Cape, species such as Blesbuck, Impala, Warthog among others, can be hunted all year round on a low fenced property.

Bossie, not all species in SA have a season. It depends on the Province. In the Eastern Cape, species such as Blesbuck, Impala, Warthog among others, can be hunted all year round on a low fenced property.

Similarly in KZN some PG species are "not game" so they can be hunted year round.
So, it all depends where you are. (Those damned multiple jurisdictions changing the rules again) :)

What province are you hunting? Will narrow down the assistance a bit...

I will be hunting in the Grahamstown area.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois