Is there a best way to handle a poor African 1st experience and move on?

Waterbuck

Reaction score
Hunted
SA
I love true hunting and family and all that it stands for. I loved what I saw of South Africa in the 9 days I was there. Landed in J burg, then off to Limpopo. I thought our camp and the professionals who provided service were great. However, we had a poor experience and want to re group and try again. Day 1, Property owner makes numerous comments on our package being too good of a deal. A deal he no longer offers. He wants to make certain trades, i.e.: one plains game animal for another. We think about it but decide to stay with our original package of 7. Day 2 , great day. 4 animals down between my buddy and I. Day 3, a full day of hunting and it is dusk. The PH points to a heard of Wildebeest, says to my buddy, shoot the second from the tree. They confirm back and forth several times, the shot is taken from the truck. Upon closing 200 yards on the downed animal it is discovered that there may be two trees, and two separate groups of wildebeest in the same vicinity, a miscommunication and a golden wildebeest down and not a blue. Panic among the trackers and our PH immediately ensues. We are unaware why as we have never heard of a golden wildebeest before. A radio call to the Owner occurs, and he quickly arrives on scene and comments of a mandatory meeting at the bar before dinner that night. Tensions are high. At the meeting we are informed of an up charge of 13,500. for the golden. My hunting companion is told that someone has to pay, either the PH or him. Day 4, our hunting suspended a court is to be set up at 9:00 am after breakfast and other parties depart. The owner examines and his elderly father like companion takes notes and explains governing camp rules to us. We are thoroughly and repeatedly questioned as to the events leading up to the shot. It is determined that the 13,500. must be paid by my buddy. We are given the option of trading our package plains game animals back to contribute to the new fee. We give back 2 Nyala, 2 greater Kudu, 1 impala and a wart hog and still owe about 3 grand. In the process we lost a whole day of hunting. the hearing took about 3 hours, the deliberation and the written verdict took another 3. while we waited in our room. Day 5: Owner decides to burn some fields to aid in grass re growth. Fire becomes out of control and covers entire property in a layer of smoke and odor. We see no animals that day. Day 6: another group enters the camp. A father and 3 boys with a seemingly unlimited hunting budget. They shoot at anything they see move. A giraffe goes down, a zebra is wounded and flees, an eland is wounded and flees. The owner gets in his plane and does low flights over the property looking for the wounded game. Everything else is spooked. We see nothing that day. Day 6: The party of boys with Dad shoots a Cape buffalo at morning. We hear on the radio that there is not a PH with them, only a tracker. Our PH is immediately summoned to the other side of the property to be onsite to apparently abide by the rule that a PH must be present on a buffalo hunt. We rush across the property shooting dust and rocks from our land cruiser. We have yet another day without spotting game. Day 7: Last day. I spot and shoot a small Nyala. The owner makes arrangements with his wife to do the taxidermy. I have now received photos of it and it is not what we agreed to. Oh yeah, 2 meals a day, not three. Game stew and rice mostly. We spent over 20,000 dollars not including airfare. Expressing myself here does help a bit. I want to book a new trip and have a better and completely different experience. I found myself really guarded at the SCI show this year. Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated.

Sorry you were pushed around a Wildebeest is a wildebeest PH fault

Go to Zim. Do a wild hunt. It'll cost you $20-$25, maybe $30k. (For the hunt 1x1 or 2x1)

It will be amazing good. Wild hunting. Great food.

A couple names for you if you want to interview PHs: Doug Kok, Petrus Kok, Andy Hunter, Andrew Barnard, Martinus Kok.

That would be my suggestion. Sorry you had a bad tribunal in RSA. Zim doesn't have golden wildebeests, game hunting tribunals nor people hunting buffalo without a PH. It may bode better for you.

Thanks for sharing your tale, I asked for it.
Damn I wished it were a more positive one.

That is certainly a botched hunt and I can see why you might be a little gun shy.
Ask a lot of questions and make sure you get the answers.

I would love to know who these Muppets are so everyone can avoid them.

What are you wanting to hunt on your next trip? Perhaps the things you did not get to hunt on the first trip?

Read some hunt reports here and get a feel for what you are looking for and see what might be a fit for you.
There may just be an offer that will fit the bill.

Wow is all I can say. There is much better outfits to hunt with that is for sure. The ph was at fault and the landowner took advantage of your group.

There is some great hunts in Africa and many places to go. Don't let anyone fool you that all goes well in places like zim or moz as they all have problems. It is all about picking the right outfitter.

I would be glad to help if you decide to go back and help plan a hunt that will go much better. No matter what you do just don't give up on Africa as it is a great place to hunt with many good people.

1) who did you hunt with?

2) what do you want to hunt this trip? Do you want to go back to Limpopo and try again, Eastern cape? Another country? Just surf around here and ask questions. The guys here will give you honest feedback.

That's messed up about the wildebeest. They breed the mutant, they should keep it in a pen, if they don't want it shot.

That sounds all jacked up.
PM sent.

South Africa would be trying to extradite me from the US over the carnage I would have left! Sounds like a complete shitshow to me! But I have wondered what the price tag on a golden wildebeest is, now I know. They are nice but not Moz buffalo hunt nice!
Sorry about your trip, saddle back up and give it another go, there are some great people in SA, just seems you drew a bad one.
Cheers,
Cody

Book with any of the outfitters on here and wait patiently for the day to come when you fly back!

Reactions: BWH
South Africa would be trying to extradite me from the US over the carnage I would have left! Sounds like a complete shitshow to me! But I have wondered what the price tag on a golden wildebeest is, now I know. They are nice but not Moz buffalo hunt nice!
Sorry about your trip, saddle back up and give it another go, there are some great people in SA, just seems you drew a bad one.
Cheers,
Cody
Damn straight! These con men need to be taught a lesson.

Sorry to hear, get back on the saddle and go again. Any number of outfitters that are sponsors here can help and are vetted by many of the members here through hunt reports and personal experiences.

Let me suggest, Kalahari Rangers in the Northern Cape. I hunted with them this summer. No BS game like golden wildebeest. It's the daily rate, plus trophy fees. There is a minimum spend, but you will have no problem reaching that, I reached it with the daily rate alone. It's first class. If you use there guns, it's a Blaser with Leica Magnus scope. Pricing was straight forward, either trophy (SCI bronze or better) no matter the size, or management.

Last edited:
I am so sorry for you that sounds like a horrible experience and you by all means need to share some names to save your brother hunters from the scoundrels!
When I was In RSA last year I was around some serious high dollars critters few times I think a few were over $100,000usd! Man you better believe the PH and the owner knew which they were and made it very very clear to me I even had to hold fire twice on animals for fear of pass thru shot and hurting a "golden gilded critter". I agree with the others the call to shoot was on the PH and he should have clearly said don't shoot those they are golden wildebeest will cost you 13,000 do you see them and exactly which they were, etc. I shot 2 animals that were not correct aka they were too small for what I was promised a property owner ate one no questions asked no problems he called the shot, the PH ate the 2nd no issues no problems they called the shots and the size I killed the called animals there mistakes they ate it as men of good character and honor do!! never a bad word or any hard feelings by anyone. they are quality people.
There are many very good PH in Africa and the guys on this board will tell you straight up not much BS who is who(y)

@Waterbuck,

I'm sorry this happened to you and I'm also sorry for the country of South Africa, this reflects poorly on all South African outfitters. It would seem and I give you great credit for not just saying screw it and never going back. But your willing to give it another shot, kudos to you for that.

There are unfortunately bad operators in RSA as well as other African countries. Based on what I read, you got played, or at least an attempt to sucker everyone was made. I'm guessing you already know that. The best advice I can give you is to research your next hunt that much more.

As you can see from my signature, I do represent an outfitter in RSA. I would certainly love the opportunity to earn your business and ensure you receive a proper hunt in South Africa. Whatever the case, please post your questions as to who you're looking at for your next venture to Africa. There are plenty of operators her who will ensure you get what you pay for.

This went wrong on so many levels. Your Ph failed to look out for you properly. Other hunters on the same property at the same time? Shooting the wrong animal. Quality outfits don't let this kind of crap happen. I have had some of this happen to me to a degree. Africa can be a great place. Just like anywhere else there are good, mediocre and poor outfits. Brickburn on here is the king of research. When you get ready to go again spend some extra time researching. If you don't know how/where then just ask. Many here are willing to help you out.
Please name those that you hunted with. It may help someone else avoid your difficulties. That is part of what we do here. We help and look out for each other. We are a big community of like minded hunters. We still have our differences, but we'd help each other in a heartbeat.
There are top notch companies in Africa that don't charge "top end" prices. We ,as a community, can help you with that. As you get interested in going again we're here to help. Best of luck and good hunting. Bruce

That story sounds familiar to one I read on this forum about a year ago under the hunting reports. I wonder if it is the same outfit.

This sounds like a total set up, easy way to get a golden wildebeest shot. I would report this hunt to PHASA!!

Sorry you got screwed!! Africa is a great place to hunt.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg