Is the sako 85 safari a good rifle?

I know at least one white hunter hunter who owned a Sako Model 85 that experienced an ejection issue (to be fair, his rifle was a .500 Jeffery which isn’t the easiest caliber to get to feed on account of the rebated rim). He now switched to a Merkel Sidelock Ejector double in .500 Nitro Express.

I shot a Cape buffalo with a variant in .375 H&H Magnum (using Federal 300Gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claws) and it worked fine. But then again, I’m a client and I did only take one shot.

The only NON CRF actions that I find to be 100% reliable for dangerous game hunting, are the Blaser R-8 and the old BSA Majestic.

I used a Sako 85 in 7mm mag and 375 H&H for a PG hunt. The rifles belonged to a PH that I hunted with. Beautiful, accurate, and the famously smooth action. No issues at all.

Hi guys, does anyone have any info on the sako 85 safari. I know very little about them so hence why I’m posting this. What’s the good, the bad and the ugly with these rifles and what sort of price range are we looking at here? Thanks.
Sako makes a great rifle. I have a 270 wsm, it drives tacks. I have a .270 tack driver and a 7mm rem mag tack driver. The smoothest bolt of any factory rifle IMO.

My only gripe with Sako 85s are the piece of crap synthetic stocks that were used for the Sako Finnlite models. The stocks started to peel and unfortunately mine did as well.

They make great barrels bolts and triggers. I haven't had any ejection issues.

I have the 85 Safari in .416 Rigby. Apel detachable scope mounts and Swarovski Z8i scope. No feeding issues and rifle is very accurate.

Frankly if I would have to turn the scope to fix issue, I would much prefer to buy another gun. Luckily mine is working well with the lowest Apel mounts so I have zero complaints.
IMG_7605.JPG

Hi all. I own 4 Sako 85 Safari Rifles: 375 H&H,
416 Rigby, 450Rigby, and 500 Jeff.
I have used them on numerous dangerous game hunts and have killed at least 3-5 DG animals with each of them. They are extremely reliable rifles. Very accurate and very good looking too. None of them have the mentioned extraction issues . I have made 2 videos in my safe proving my statement, but unfortunately can’t post them as a reply…. I will post them under videos and try post the link here. Regards

Last edited:
When life is on the line, a Mauser CRF is the gold standard for dangerous game rifles. There are many proxies to this for modest budgets including the Winchester 70 CRF action and the CZ550 Magnum action.

I'm sure there are exceptions to this rule of thumb, but you're now in less tested waters. If you have a feed, extraction, trigger, safety, or bolt issue with a Mauser action there are a hundred competent gunsmiths or more worldwide that have been there, done that, hundreds of times. There are 30 some technical gunsmithing books to reference on round stack geometry and other formulas to fix a mauser problem. Basically, the skilled gunsmith fixing a mauser gets to stand on the shoulders of giants over the past 100 years that figured out and documented solutions to problems.

For anything proprietary, you are paying a gunsmith to do exploratory tinkering in the "whitespace" where they cannot reference prior written work to solve the problems.

This nuance makes all the difference. Others may disagree, but often times we're talking about spending equal money for option A versus option B and option B has a lot more unknowns and risks.

I think a lot of the ejection issues come from operating the bolt slowly. I have an 85 in 7mm RM. if I worked the bolt normally it has no issue, but if I’m at the range and work much slower than it won’t eject properly. I also feel some people are expecting that big Mauser style ejection sending the case 15’. That just won’t happen with the Sako. No issues taking moose with it. I’d trust mine if I encountered a grizzly bear hunting.

I held one the other day in 7mm rem mag and it was a “heavy” rifle. It felt solid as a build but I would really consider the ejection issues as Google searches show. I’m sure the service is excellent but that’s not gonna help you on your hunt. Again, they run solid and are build strong but there are too many good builds out there in a Mauser action for that price. I’d look at first a model 70 if your in a budget. Then get a Dakota Arms if they are floating out there. I’d still order a park west arms rifle. Lots of solid builders out there for the price point of a factory sako 85 headache. Just my opinion.

When life is on the line, a Mauser CRF is the gold standard for dangerous game rifles. There are many proxies to this for modest budgets including the Winchester 70 CRF action and the CZ550 Magnum action.

I'm sure there are exceptions to this rule of thumb, but you're now in less tested waters. If you have a feed, extraction, trigger, safety, or bolt issue with a Mauser action there are a hundred competent gunsmiths or more worldwide that have been there, done that, hundreds of times. There are 30 some technical gunsmithing books to reference on round stack geometry and other formulas to fix a mauser problem. Basically, the skilled gunsmith fixing a mauser gets to stand on the shoulders of giants over the past 100 years that figured out and documented solutions to problems.

For anything proprietary, you are paying a gunsmith to do exploratory tinkering in the "whitespace" where they cannot reference prior written work to solve the problems.

This nuance makes all the difference. Others may disagree, but often times we're talking about spending equal money for option A versus option B and option B has a lot more unknowns and risks.

The US military has been using a Remington push feed against the most deadly dangerous game known to man, an enemy that can shoot back. And so far, they have not changed over to a CFR Mauser action.

I think a lot of the ejection issues come from operating the bolt slowly. I have an 85 in 7mm RM. if I worked the bolt normally it has no issue, but if I’m at the range and work much slower than it won’t eject properly. I also feel some people are expecting that big Mauser style ejection sending the case 15’. That just won’t happen with the Sako. No issues taking moose with it. I’d trust mine if I encountered a grizzly bear hunting.
My Sako kodiak is by far my favorite rifle, but unfortunately has the ejection issue. It would hit the scope turret on 1.5-5 Leupold at any speed and had the mark on scope turret as proof. I had no issue turning the scope 90 degrees, remembering right is now up is not difficult and doesn’t affect function of scope. I recently put a 30mm 2-10 Leupold scope on it but with medium rings. I still turned the scope 90 degrees but issue appeared to be completely gone with medium height rings.

The US military has been using a Remington push feed against the most deadly dangerous game known to man, an enemy that can shoot back. And so far, they have not changed over to a CFR Mauser action.

Actually, this applies only after the second part of Vietnam war, in the time when Winchester had their own issues, and switched production to post 64 m70 rifle (push feed), so Remington filled the gap, and remained till today.
US entered the Vietnam war with m70, match variant, CRF, as sniper rifle

For korea war, ww2, and ww1, it was CRF either as main issue rifle (ww1) or sniper rifle (ww2, Korea), with Springfield 1903..

But to say the truth, there should be nothing wrong with quality PF rifle.
Entire debate between CRF and PF is obsolete, in modern days. Quality rifle, remains quality rifle regardless of being PF or CRF

Here is about Remington 700, for safari application. Perfectly acceptable.

As a separate note.
Push feed will never have a glamour and nostalgia of quality CRF rifle.
No fine gun maker, will make push feed for elite clientele. Most expensive bolt actions in the world, from London guns shops, and few continental will remain as CRF.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kathi6164

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.