Is the 465 H&H as dead as your dinner?

I make cartridge display boards. I have a new pattern in the works that features the complete collections of Weatherby, RUM, B&M, WSSM & WSM, and I'm trying to compile a comprehensive collection of H&H. I just recently found a write-up and cartridge drawing of the 465 H&H. I'd like to add it to my boards. Does anyone know where I can find some brass? I found a source for bullets. He has hundreds and I can't really see them going out of stock anytime soon. I'm in no real hurry. I'm still collecting brass and bullets to complete the pattern. Please LMK

THANX
cwhuntsalot

I apologize for injecting my ignorance when I didn't bother to wade through the intervening 3 pages, but the .38-55 has been striking medium to largish game dead with a 250 gr bullet at about 1700 fps for a long time, and will continue to do so as long as interested peoples can find the components to keep it ticking.

I make cartridge display boards. I have a new pattern in the works that features the complete collections of Weatherby, RUM, B&M, WSSM & WSM, and I'm trying to compile a comprehensive collection of H&H. I just recently found a write-up and cartridge drawing of the 465 H&H. I'd like to add it to my boards. Does anyone know where I can find some brass? I found a source for bullets. He has hundreds and I can't really see them going out of stock anytime soon. I'm in no real hurry. I'm still collecting brass and bullets to complete the pattern. Please LMK

THANX
cwhuntsalot
Good luck! @Pheroze and I have asked the AH members here since this thread was posted for any evidence that the .465 H and H ever existed. LOL. Nobody here, with all their worldly African hunting experience, has ever produced even a brass case for this cartridge. Maybe it never existed?

I known the cartridge 465 H&H Magnum for years. This cartridge was certainly never very popular, but there are still used rifles of this caliber on sale worldwide. Wolfgang Romey in Germany is supposed to have made cartridges for Holland & Holland.

I myself have also never seen a rifle caliber 465 H&H Magnum, nor have read a report about the use of a weapon of this caliber in Africa.

Last edited:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-13 at 3.48.26 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-13 at 3.48.26 AM.png
    591.5 KB · Views: 70
  • Screenshot 2023-07-13 at 3.48.27 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-13 at 3.48.27 AM.png
    564.2 KB · Views: 63
And here:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-13 at 3.49.04 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-13 at 3.49.04 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 57
  • Screenshot 2023-07-13 at 3.49.07 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-13 at 3.49.07 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 71
Such a missed opportunity by Holland & Holland. The 400 H&H should've just been a 375 H&H (not improved) necked up to .423 caliber (404-375 wildcat as it stands now). A 400g bullet at 2150 fps would below a max load and duplicate what the 404 Jeffery originally was loaded to. In addition, no rebated rim, easier feeding / extracting.

the 465 and 400 H&H were both cartridges invented just for the sake of H&H collectors. they use rare bullet diameters and match the ballistics of cartridges already in existence.

why buy a 465 H&H when you can buy a 460 WBY? (same parent case but .468" bullet vs .458" bullet)

why buy the 400 H&H when you can buy the 416 RM? (similar parent case but .411" bullet vs a .416" bullet)

-matt
A 30-06 and 375 H and H. Hunt the world.
I never did understand why they went with that bullet diameter.

I guess when you are H&H, you can do things differently!

That case at .474 would be a .470 Capstick on steroids! Plus you could get bullets!
My 375 weatherby with 350gr. or 380 gr. Bullet developes 5000 lbs of energy. I believe it would kill as well as the 400 Holland. I can shoot 375 H and H which ammo is found world wide.

It deserves to be dead, crappy concept from the start, same with the 400 H&H. They should've just necked up their 375 H&H without "improving" it to .423 caliber. That would've sold! They could have also legitimized the 470 Capstick.

The 465 originally came about because of the British Colonial fires they were into at the time. When the uprisings got worst, Brit guns and ammo were captured and used against them. At the time, the Brits used a 45 round so the ones in power "out-lawed" all 45 cal rifle cartridges and thereby eliminating using 45 bullets for loading them also. In today's shooting world, they're all the same if between 40 and 58 cal.

That's true, but it was 1907. In 2003 there was no longer any reason to produce a cartridge like the 465 H&H Magnum. The cartridge 460 Weatherby Magnum is still permitted, although it is now banned in Canada, a former part of the British Empire.

That's true, but it was 1907. In 2003 there was no longer any reason to produce a cartridge like the 465 H&H Magnum. The cartridge 460 Weatherby Magnum is still permitted, although it is now banned in Canada, a former part of the British Empire.
The 460 Weatherby is notably banned not for size but because it can generate over 10k Joules the intent was to ban "sniper rifles" namely the 50 BMG

I also think that these are no after-effects of the insurrections in Sudan and India more than a hundred years ago.
I think the reason was that Holland and Holland wanted to have a .458 level cartridge with there name on it. .458 is fairly well covered with the Win Mag Lott and Rigby so they went with a odd ball proprietary. If one is paying Holland and Holland prices why not?

Same with the 400 it's different an Bespoke for clients who want to say "I have a Holland and Holland"

Ignorant me, but I didn't know there was a 400 OR 465 H & H? I would like to see photos of the cartridges. I thought the H & H cartridges stopped at .375 caliber and then wondered why, except for the Nitro Express Cartridges? By the way, since I see you're in Ontario I have a cartridge question. In the late '90s, I hunted black bear in Round Lake, Ontario, with my wife's relatives from Pennsylvania. While walking the trails around a cabin, I found a spent brass rifle cartridge on the ground. It has "Imperial" and 38-55 printed on the cartridge base. I kept it as a souvenir. Later, I saw a single shot rifle hanging in the local shop in that caliber. I was told the people in the area hunt moose with that caliber. I was just curious if you know of this cartridge? It seems like an underpowered cartridge to hunt moose with? Thanks!
.38-55 Winchester was an old black powder cartidge from the 1880s. It is also the parent cartridge of the .375 Winchester introduced in the Model 94 Big Bore in the late 70s/early 80s. Ammunition is still available for both, but I don't know anyone is chambering a rifle in those calibers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.