Is The .375 H&H Strong Enough

own two .375 mags, a 700 remington classic and a CZ 550 american. for my shooting i don,t see the need for larger magums. in my six hunting trips i used a CZ 550 in .375 with no problems.

View attachment 355294 View attachment 355295
It has been 53 years since I last saw a .375 Holland & Holland magnum caliber Remington Model 700 Classic . This brought back several memories , Mr . Hetrick . My final client whom I guided in 1970 ( On a royal Bengal tiger shikar ) used a classic Remington Model 700 , chambered in .375 Holland & Holland magnum . He took his royal Bengal tiger with a frontal brain shot and a 300 grain Winchester Silver Tip soft point cartridge .

It has been 53 years since I last saw a .375 Holland & Holland magnum caliber Remington Model 700 Classic . This brought back several memories , Mr . Hetrick . My final client whom I guided in 1970 ( On a royal Bengal tiger shikar ) used a classic Remington Model 700 , chambered in .375 Holland & Holland magnum . He took his royal Bengal tiger with a frontal brain shot and a 300 grain Winchester Silver Tip soft point cartridge .
Because it is a real poor rifle for a brilliant caliber....

Is the .375 H&H Strong Enough

watermark.php

.375 Holland & Holland

Gentlemen, the 375 H&H rifle is a "ONE RIFLE FOR THE WORLD" type of invention. The old 1912 three six bits, with proper placement and a quality bullet, will kill anything that walks, crawls, or flies. However, the 375 H&H is NOT a big bore, it is a medium bore, and is minimum in most countries for the big five larger than the Leopard. It is one of the all time best choices for the big cats in Africa, and India. It is adequate for all the animals in the dangerous group in the world and is probably the most suggested caliber for the client hunter in Africa for most things up to and including Cape Buffalo. I will say here and now, the only "ONE SHOT KILLS" I have ever had on cape buffalo have been with the 375 H&H, paired with a 300 gr Nosler Partition bullet, when the brain, or spine was not hit. All others have taken at least three shots regardless of caliber or bullet type, again when the brain was not hit!

Is the 375 H&H my first choice for Buffalo hunting? Absolutely not, would I hesitate to shoot buffalo with the 375 H&H, again absolutely not.

The caliber is light for buffalo, and lighter yet for elephant, and My choice would be something in the .400 class on up to the 500NE, preferably in a good double rifle.

watermark.php

.375 Holland & Holland

The old rag that says the client hunter is always backed up by a PH who usually has a better chambering for when the crap hits the fan! I do not agree with that line of thinking. When things go South, who made the rule that says the PH isn't going to be the one hit first, leaving you to pull his nuts out of the fire. It has happened more times than one, I assure you. When taking on dangerous game one needs to be prepared to defend himself, and the PH as well!

There is a reason why this game is called dangerous, but more than that, they are unpredictable at times. To me this indicates the need for more than the minimum required for that purpose.

watermark.php

.375 Holland & Holland

The sky is not falling, and if you want to hunt with a 375 H&H because of it's great versatility, then do it, I have on many occasions.

I have three rifles chambered for the 375 H&H cartridge, and that used to be my back up rifle for my bigger rifle, and served very well for plains game, yet was legal for the big stuff if my big rifle broke. All my 375s are fitted with quality iron sights, and scopes mounted in quality quick detach mounts that return to zero absolutely. No big game hunting rifle should ever be slick barreled with no iron sights. If something happens to that scope the irons can finish the stalk, or the whole hunt if need be.

.....................Good luck, and good hunting with your 375 H&H:D

watermark.php

.375 Holland & Holland
I agree with all of that. In my mind the only debate is over buffalo. I have had several of the dozen or so that I have shot die with no drama from one shot from a ,375 with a Swift A frame. I would say that answers the question.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Longrange33

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 29 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross