Is the 30-06 adequate for zebra?

. . . And now the west is over run by “mustangs” that cannot be managed due to public sentiment. They over graze, destroy water holes and aggressively push other animals off home ranges. Management night-mare.
But back to the .30-06 (I have 3 for no particular reason except maybe I like buying scopes for them)-I liked something Craig boddington just wrote in Sports Afield magazine-“It is needlessly powerful for deer sized game, and certainly there are flatter-shooting cartridges for mountain hunting. However, for game larger than deer, the .30-06 is a force to be reckoned with, and I consider it one of the most versatile options for African plains game.”-Amen
Brumby management is a problem in Australia due to public sentiment. People can’t see the damage they do in a fragile environment.
I’m not green but they are not native either.

Grizzly, moose,caribou,black bear,kudu,zebra,giraffe and much more with 30/06.

Also-CRS, Mike is one of the great ones, huge happy smile all the time and loves to talk with the hunters. Hard worker too. Can’t wait to get back and see him and elliot and the rest of the gang-the phs were good too:Dead:. Bring on the braai!
I just read your hunt report from at @GAME 4 AFRICA SAFARIS They were all good including the Maids, good food, clean house and laundry service. I made a point of getting a pic of my Wildebeeste with all of the boys in it. Mike, Elliott and 2 others my PH Lionel. The staff are all part of the experience for me.

Wik & Brittany, Colin & Claire joined us a couple of nights but had travel during our stay (It was off season) John Cootzee also joined us one night.

I recall the skinners taking intestine for food. I think that’s what they use to make a dish called Gritts and they really like it. Nothing is wasted.
If you are talking about the fat around the organs is it the call fat or lace fat? I read a bit on this and seems like it can be quite good in cooking .

I tried the game meat because I was there and it was authentic. I don’t think I could come at cat, dog or others that are not eaten in western cultures. Or the way in which these are raised, handled and slaughtered. I’m not going to condone those practices by dining on them.

As for the Jack Russels we had Rocky as our tracking dog each hunt. A great little dog with a big personality.

Take a broadside shot. I almost lost my zebra with a .30-06 when it turned quartering towards me just as I squeezed off the shot. Hit it on that quartering angle and only got one shoulder, one lung and the paunch. Dang thing went a half mile before we found it dead with very little blood trail because the bullet did not exit. A successful but tricky tracking job with zebra tracks going every direction.

@Scott CWO I'm glad your team was able to locate it.

Not a silly question if you don’t know.

I have not hunted Zebra or fired a .30-06. I’ve read of many succesfully using a .308 with good projectiles and shot placement.

Yes, he was encouraging you but a new rifle. In just 2 years here my new friends have “enabled me” to hunt South Africa and buy a couple of rifles and build another. You won’t find many trying to insult anyone unless you are talking shit. It is mostly a friendly forum and sometimes the humour differs across the globe but ask anything , people will help or share an opinion. Someone recently said it a very Gentlemen’ly sort of site.

Questions like should I buy another rifle will receive a prompt and assertive yes, so that might be a silly question.

6.5cm talk may lead to terms like Man Bun and Latte being used in a response. My opinion is it’s not a hunting rifle, it could be but it’s best attributes come out for target work and teasing those who tend to trend.
2B0ABD1B-563E-4711-A477-A7D6003D33C1.jpeg

377 bull shot with a 6.5 GAP SAUM. No man bun. Lol
DC27C844-62D8-47B4-9450-EC2CA411E59E.jpeg

364 bull with the 6.5 GAP SAUM. Shot placement is key.

Since I had no interest in shooting striped horse (we raise Welsh Ponies on our farm) , I sat in the truck and watched giraffe fight over a fence and other game while my buddy and his 30-06 went out and killed a Zebra. They had already made a nice 100+ yard kill on big waterbuck, so the Zebra was another ho- hum shot.

It was interesting to me that the rancher sold the Zebra carcass to a Butcher in Thabazimbi for processing and sale. Who eats Zebra?
Zebra is delicious.

I took two with a 7 RM and my son took one with a 6.5 CM.

The skin makes for a durable and wonderful rug.

I ask this as I plan on going on a plains game safari in Namibia in a few year's time, hopefully soon. Hartmann's zebra is at the top of my list for the trophies I'd like to take. I've been watching many videos on hunting zebra and I'm amazed by how tough they are. Is the 30-06 adequate or would it be better to upgrade to a 375?
@WilhelmM
This is the Zebra I took in Namibia with my 35 Whelen. In retrospect my son's 308 with 150grain accubonds would have been fine.
Bob

20200125_105551.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have taken 2 zebra, both with a .30-06. I was also present when my dad took his with a .30-06.

Bullet choice is important, as they are rather stout animals. My 1st zebra required 3 well placed shots due to poor bullet selection. We had be stalking bushbuck and did not exchange the 165gr ballistic tips when we happened upon the zebra.

My second zebra went down immediately with a single shot through the chevron with an A-Frame. My dad had a similar performance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrittGibb4

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross