Is something wrong?

Davidm

AH member
Reaction score
Media
I haven't had my 458 lott for a long time so it is first that I have used more or less all my new brass so it is time to calibrate them.

And now comes the problem (at least I think so). Once calibrated the "neck" of the case is much tighter than the new brass. This results in a noticeable tightening on the last 1/2 inch of the case. You can both se and feel it.

I seated a 500gr bullet in one of the calibrated cases just to see if it would be possible and it was but you can really feel and see where the bullet stops in the case.
IMG_4169.JPG

My concern now is that this will increase the pressure to a dangerous level.

Both the dies and brass are from Hornady. This is my first experience with straight wall cases so I don't know if this is normal.

@tarbe is an excellent source for this....

I had the same issue with my Lott, with Hornady dies too. At least in my case it turned out to be an issue with flaring of the case to begin with. It didn't have enough flare.... You don't mention flaring at all, have you performed that step?

I couldn't get the Hornady die adjusted right and pretty quickly got frustrated and bought an RCBS die set instead, which I got adjusted fairly quickly and easily. I could see the change - a case that looked like yours, one not so bad, a little better, then finally nice and smooth. The adjustment was more than I anticipated, but I purposely went slow so as not to "over flare."

Before

20170611_101729.jpg

After

20170611_125117.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I did flare it but maybe not enough. I shall try some more on another case.

Did you get that result by just increasing the flare? It looks really nice. Maybe I should get an rcbs tool right away but I think I will try with more flaring just to see if it gets better

Yes I did flare it but maybe not enough. I shall try some more on another case.

Did you get that result by just increasing the flare? It looks really nice. Maybe I should get an rcbs tool right away but I think I will try with more flaring just to see if it gets better

Yes - those were both done the same day. I should have taken the "in between" cases. You could see the bulge lessen, before totally going away.

The first time I tried with Hornady I could never get the bulge to go away, which was why I changed dies. In hindsight, I kept resizing the same piece of brass, whereas when I fixed the problem I used a different piece each time. Maybe I created weakness and it was just going to bulge? I figured better safe than sorry.

Straight wall cases are definitely a different beast!

Let us know how it goes.

Had same issues with Lott and Hornady dies, I think Hornady dies is a little off-spec.

Never bothered me enough to make me buy another die.

Had same issues with Lott and Hornady dies, I think Hornady dies is a little off-spec.

Never bothered me enough to make me buy another die.

When I researched it online I found similar complaints. This, to me, is another example of Hornady's lack of quality control. And another reason I try and stay away from Hornady....

I also read that bulge won't hurt anything, but I just couldn't bring myself to believe it, right or wrong!

Yep, had the same issue using Hornady dies for my 450 NE 3 1/4 inch at first but I think it was more operator error on my part versus a die problem.....once I "belled" (flared) the case mouth enough, it went away. It required a little trial and error but I finally made it work, and to date have had no problems since.

I had a Hornady die that did that too. Midway gave me a refund.

I have tried and tried but the problem remains. So I think I will try and get another die set from another manufacturer the problem is that it's hard to find reloading dies for the 458 lott here.

Other than the visual aspect, the main pressure problem would result from the excessive sized case having too tight a grip on the bullet. I'd try a bullet remover to see just how much force is needed to pull the bullet. If the bullet is removed with about the same force as a factory load, then there shouldn't be a pressure issue.

It also looks like the die was crimping before it had the bullet seated the whole way if you blow that first pic up. I had a similar problem with 22-250 and hornady dies it wanted to crush shoulder turns out that the crimp ring seams to be a good bit shallower than other brands.
Shawn

When you guys talk about flare that isn't quite correct. The flare is only the little bit of like pipe flare at the very top, nothing to do with the problem here. The problem appears to be not enough expansion, why most dies have an expander die for straight wall cases. The main issue may be that the sizing die is sizing too much. However while it may be unsightly, as long as it chambers its not an issue, so much ado about nothing. If it creates a chambering issue that's different. There would be no increase in pressure as result of this. But in truth this looks like a matter of not enough expansion with the expansion die.

Use a Lee factory crimp die. Problem solved.

And, while you're at it, get a belted magnum collet resizing die from Innovative Technologies. Two problems solved!

Yes to both FCD and I.T. belted magnum collet sizing die!

The OP's photo shows quite a bit of difference between dimensions of sizing die and rifle's chamber. It isn't uncommon and simply reveals itself more when loading "straight wall" cases. All OK if rounds chamber smoothly. The only possible downside... excessive re-sizing can shorten case life. But really won't cause any increase in pressure. The brass almost instantly conforms to chamber dimensions upon firing.

A suggestion with that particular sizing die and chamber. Turn the sizing die out to where the sized round chambers easily and smoothly and has good purchase on the entire length of the bullet's shank when seated- kind of a balancing act between the two. Do this in combination with the Innovative Tech. base collet die to get the most out of reloading belted magnum cases. Also turn the bullet seating die out to stay away from the crimp shoulder (ring). The best tool, bar none, for crimping into the bullet's crimp groove for heavy recoiling cartridges is the Lee FCD.

Last edited:
Use a Lee factory crimp die. Problem solved.

And, while you're at it, get a belted magnum collet resizing die from Innovative Technologies. Two problems solved!

I've got the Lee die and use it to crimp.

Will check out the IT die. thanks!

When you guys talk about flare that isn't quite correct. The flare is only the little bit of like pipe flare at the very top, nothing to do with the problem here. The problem appears to be not enough expansion, why most dies have an expander die for straight wall cases.

At least in my case, I think this is what I was trying to say - that it needed more expansion. I stumbled through until the issue was solved and seem to be totally resolved now. Once I figured it all out reloading for the Lott became relatively easy. Only thing is, a pound of powder sure doesn't last long! :D

Below is a five shot group at 50 yards, three softs NF 500 grain and two solid NF 500 grain over 78 and 77 grains of H4895. I'm pretty happy.

lott.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It is common to start feeling chambering resistance after firing a couple of full pressure shots through most regular belted magnum cases. The usual culprit is that area of the case just in front of the belt. A regular sizing die will not touch that area. The IT collet die is the best system I know of for resizing the area just in front of the belt. It is another step in the reloading process and is somewhat of a pain but the alternative is to prematurely discard perfectly good belted cases that have some life left in them. Pay attention to the instructions that come with the die and use plenty of case lube-- both on the case and on the collet once it is placed on the case.

IT collet die.JPG

DavidM.......................If they chamber easily and shoot and extract well, you may want to simply ignore this "problem".......FWB

This is sadly just another example of shoddy Hornady product. Similar to the Hornady dangerous game bullets, their dies are sub standard products. The unfortunate reality is Hornady refuses to address customer complaints, acts like their products are above reproach and won't admit they've got a problem until a loss of market share cripples their company. I refuse to purchase anything with the Hornady emblem on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stewartsDucky

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber