Is Solid bullets the way to go in a .375 ?

Solids in 375 for elephant and smaller game.. Duiker, dik dik etc.. Rest, always premium softs up front.
Eg.. I only hunt buff with 2x Swift A Frames on top, followed by premium solids.. Be this 375 or 458 Win Mag.

Well, if you don't have experience with the big bores how can you judge whether they are the answer or not? ;)

I think @One Day... explained it best in the post above. He was talking about bullet weight and caliber for various game.

For PG, which seems to be what you are interested in, I'd say go with whichever rifle you are comfortable with. There isn't a PG that can't be brought down with your .300 WM IMHO.

At this point in time, for me personally, my PG/leopard rifle is .375H&H, at least that is what I am leaning towards for my upcoming hunt. If I get my .500 NE dialed in to take as the heavy, I might leave it behind and take the .458 with the 258 grain bullets as the PG/leopard rifle, but it is fluid now. I probably won't know until just before the hunt.

Im not saying the big bores aren’t great. Sure they are if you can expertly handle them. My shooting shoulder can’t, it’s too torn up with tendon and ligament damage. Have shot big bores and the biggest I can handle is the 404J, not much more kick than the 375 really. Past that I’m flinching and that 500 would probably push my shoulder out of the socket, so using one of those cannons isn’t a good idea for me. Honestly, I’ve never found much that the big medium bores with good ammo can’t drop, but still am eyeing a 404J

The Woodleigh Hydro is a solid - and a very good one - with which I have a bit of experience. Not sure what you mean by "breakaway".

Woodleigh Bullets either hydros or protected points will do the job!
j

There will be a lot of experience here, My .375H&H is new to me but I did source some Woodleigh. read carefully and take in what you can. Especially on the .375 we all digress

Being Australian I would suggest researching Woodleigh, they are used the world over from a little country town and commercially loaded by some big names.

A Hydrostatic shock projectile is supposed to cause wide wound channel and deep penetration combining the characteristics of 2 types of projectiles in one but don’t really expand.

Unless I am corrected here. . . ? ?

Also Woodleigh have been known to provide advice on request.

I assume the reference to "break away" is about Swift's version of a design similar to Woodleigh's Hydrostatic solid. Swift named their version the Break Away Solid. It has a small cup point in the nose and incorporates a roundnose polymer cap that is supposed to "break away" upon impact.

The only such bullet I have any experience with is (was) the North Fork Cup Point Solid. It performed beyond expectations on all manner of game from impala to eland to Cape buffalo. Accurate, very deep straight line penetration and larger wound channel than normal mono solid.

j

There will be a lot of experience here, My .375H&H is new to me but I did source some Woodleigh. read carefully and take in what you can. Especially on the .375 we all digress

Being Australian I would suggest researching Woodleigh, they are used the world over from a little country town and commercially loaded by some big names.

A Hydrostatic shock projectile is supposed to cause wide wound channel and deep penetration combining the characteristics of 2 types of projectiles in one but don’t really expand.

Unless I am corrected here. . . ? ?

Also Woodleigh have been known to provide advice on request.
The Hydro causes a larger wound channel than a traditional solid but far less than a SP. It makes exactly the same size hole coming and going. It is why it works just like any other solid on a 6lb Suni. Based on my experience with it, it is a superior solid choice when a solid is appropriate, but acts too much like a solid to use in lieu of a SP when a SP is appropriate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwoody

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross