Is September a good time to hunt plains game in South Africa?

johnnyblues

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Hunted
USA, Canada, New Zealand, Mexico Africa.
Hello everyone, I will be taking my first safari to SA next year I would like to know how you experienced hunters feel about hunting plains game in September? The game I will be targeting will be Nyala, kudu, bush buck, black wildebeest, red hartebeest, and water buck. Is this a good time to hunt the game I have mentioned? If not what is your recommendation keeping in mind I may be taking my wife along.

Hello everyone, I will be taking my first safari to SA next year I would like to know how you experienced hunters feel about hunting plains game in September? The game I will be targeting will be Nyala, kudu, bush buck, black wildebeest, red hartebeest, and water buck. Is this a good time to hunt the game I have mentioned? If not what is your recommendation keeping in mind I may be taking my wife along.

May through September is the "season" in RSA for plains game.
July and August are coolest and the driest. My faves.

Although I am starting to think about getting partial to May with Kudu rutting then. :)

Do you think September will be a good time for the game I am looking for?

I have been there in September for 2 of my trips and it's a perfect time for weather and for the vegetation to be not as think. Now saying that last September we came over and a huge cold front came through and it was freezing and I was not prepared for the cold mornings but by afternoon it was great.

thanks.. I will pack some thermal underwear just in case. my Sitka underwear will suit me just fine if I need it.

You should have a great time.... Any time spent hunting is good.. :) enjoy the planing bet you can't wait!

My best always.

We were in the Kwa-Zulu Natal in early September back in 2007. Snowed a couple of days and rained the rest. Froze my arse off. Take warm clothes depending on the area you are going. Like Jaco said...anytime spent hunting is good!

Your so right! I've dreamed about hunting Africa for as long as I can remember. No at age 56 I will finally have my chance.

I will be on the eastern cape 1 hour from Port Elizabeth, hopefully the weather will cooperate!

Hi Johnny

September will be fine. It will be spring there and new growth. I also have hunted in September in SA. While we saw many kudu we did not see the big one's, so that will be a spot and stock. The other trophy's on your list should be fine. If you have a chance look at a blesbuk if you have a chance, great affordable trophy.

September is great, less vegetation, less people in the airplanes.

Sept is a good time in regards to vegetation. Be aware it is near the end of the "traditional" hunting season and the animals may be a little spookier as they may of been hunted a bit. If it was me I'd plan it for the dark of the moon. Not critical, but I want every edge I can get. Looks like some great animals. I'm sure you will have a great time. Bruce

September will be good,almost the best month for visibility,true the animals may be skittish at this time.Enjoy the planning and enjoy the hunt!

September weather in the Cape can be cold!, however going further North, the weather will be excellent...:cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanMatt

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg