Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hunted
England year round and Namibia x5.
I just got a crate of bits from my first safari. I had the parts dipped and shipped.
I took a look at my Kudu backskin and the majority of the hair is loose and has fallen to the bottom of the wrapping.
There are also a lot of bug cases in there.
I realise the photos aren't exactly clear but the skin is stiff and not easy to open out to take better.
DSC_0670.JPG

DSC_0666.JPG

DSC_0668.JPG

I think you have to get your taxidermist to take a look before sending out to tan.

Yes I will do I hope it's just the back skin. It smells different than the cape and on quick inspection the other skins seem intact from what I can see.

I would get them separated and to your taxidermist ASAP.

Hi Adrian

Which taxidermist are you going to use

Probably Colin upon your recommendation.
I do have one closer to home that I've used previously for birds but I don't know who does the African work for him.
I'll err on the side of caution and go with someone who comes with good reviews.

You got bugs in the crate then they are on every skin , inside the folds and eating everything.....Bad DIP PACK and PREP in africa....Sad story
We see with companies that really don't care....Better bug bomb the crate MASSIVELY .... get it all out keep horns away from skins, that where the bug are breeding, using the skin as food.....Not a good thing at all....Better find a taxidermist that SPECIALIZES in AFRICAN to hand the repair issues you will need....and capes if you need them

Thank you Dennis, I appreciate your input. I have removed everything from the crate and it is not being used to store the items. I will unwrap the horns and skulls tomorrow and inspect them and check the skins as best I can.
The other skins and capes do look ok at first glance but I will be sure to look for the issues you highlight.

Who did dip/pack in Africa? I don't want to use them.

I'm not sure. I can find out. I know this skin was in the salt very quickly so there was no problem with the initial handling and treatment of it.

not good at all, who did your dip and ship?

Wow, very unfortunate.

As aforementioned.... please state dip & pack service. Bad service has to be pointed out.... they can do something about.... make right. Otherwise, it will continue & victimize.

Any updates on the dip and ship company? I'd like to know so I can avoid them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you