Is it wise to plan a Zimbabwe trip for next year?

Desert Dog

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
I have been planning to do a Zim buff hunt late next year, and man there are some good deals right now.

But, I have also been following the political unrest there right now as what seems to be the initial stages of an uprising against Uncle Bob. I saw lots of vids of roadblocks, skirmishes, burning vehicles, and threatening angry mobs.

If things take a turn for the worse, would travel there be safe?

Even if it remains safe to travel, how will hunting be impacted? Even though we hate Mugabe, isn't there a chance that a replacement would be less hunter friendly - perhaps even going as far as giving wildlife habitat away as entitlements? Wouldn't a new leader score "brownie points" with the international community if they took a hard stance on hunting? Recent history is rife with examples of things getting much worse after a dictator is removed.

We'll I cancelled my trip there if that helps you any. Remains to be seen what is going to happen.

I would think caution is always a good idea. Most issues in Africa occur in the bigger cities, much less so out in the bush. I have never felt unsafe while hunting, but you have to arrive into some city somewhere. If I was booking today, I would make sure I had travel insurance and any deposit was refundable. If you wait until Africa seems totally without risk, you will never go. Decide how much risk you can tolerate, and feel comfortable with your P.H. and your travel plans. Remember they desperately need outside funds coming in from hunters.

Personally I would not hesitate to book this year or next year. As long as you book with a good Zim outfitter you will be fine. They will not let anything happen to you. If it would turn to hell I feel the guys I have hunted with in the past would make a plan and work things out.

Concern yourself with the area / outfitter, the rest of it is really little concern. People have been concerned about going to Zim since 2002, yet I can't recall a single incident in which a hunting client has ever been harmed???

I wouldn't worry about it. Your PH will keep you far away from any unrest. It's staying in the cities that you want to stay away from. I truly loved the people in Zim. The best scenario is to charter a plane to the hunting area thus bypassing everything.
Regards,
Philip

We'll I cancelled my trip there if that helps you any. Remains to be seen what is going to happen.

What? Tell me it's not so.

............ . If you wait until Africa seems totally without risk, you will never go....... .

Bingo.

This was in the eastern Cape during my last trip 2015.
At no time was I uncomfortable or in danger in any manner. Just some frustrated folks protesting against a government not acting on its promises.

kenton-blockade-jpg.48131

There are a couple of roads in Moz that have live fire exercises that I will refrain from driving on thank you. The Renamo were active during my hunt last year and I was flying 28,000 feet over their heads and had no bother at all. :)

When you see the Outfitters leaving that is the time you best not go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trying to predict the fall of Uncle Bob has been frustrating odds makers for 40 years. I do think he will outlive us all!

Trust your outfitter and you should be fine. More people are murdered in a week in SA than for the entire year in Zim.

Last month we had to take the vehicles and gear up to the North of Mozambique, made for some pretty exciting times, in parts had to be escourted by military convoy, about 40 roadblocks, did I feel my life was in danger....no..but did get a bit frustrated handing out tons of coke, smokes....

I did have a bit of a fright south of the Zambezi, I literally got caught with my pants down.....stop to take a pee on the side of the road...was just getting into the swing of thinks, when I heard a branch break, instinct told me not to lift my head, slowly lifted my eyes, ended up staring down the barrel of 5 AK47'S , lucky I was peeing or I might have pissed my pants....with a little discomfort, I finished up, slowly turned around and drove off.

This is all happening about 1000 km south of my area, last 700km to camp, not a single roadblock and no signs of trouble.

Clients are all flying way above any of the trouble, if I felt client's lives would be in danger, I would pull the plug on their safaris.

Half the time in Africa we can't predict what is going to happen next week, never mind in a year.....

long as you book with a good Zim outfitter you will be fine

Concern yourself with the area / outfitter, the rest of it is really little concern. People have been concerned about going to Zim since 2002, yet I can't recall a single incident in which a hunting client has ever been harmed???

This!

Pick a quality outfitter and they will keep you out of any problem areas. I'd still go to Zim right now.

All about risk tolerance. If yours is very low then Zim might not be the place to go, but you'd miss it. It is a beautiful place and the people are wonderful.

just coming from Zimb (almost,May/June 2016)
Was a wonderful trip.
Foxi

Everyone has their own comfort level and I respect whatever decision they make. Me personally, I've lived now for 4-1/2 years in Nigeria and never had an issue here. I went to Zim in May 2015 and wouldn't hesitiate to go back. Bulawayo is actually a nice, quiet area. Vic Falls is the tourist cash cow for the country and order is kept there.

There are no recent travel advisories on the US State Dept. website for Zim.
https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings.html

The Canadian website had this:

upload_2016-7-16_7-43-30.png

I have hunted Zim them two years later hunted South Africa. Much prefer Zim even though I saw way more animals in South Africa. Zim is wilder and not overstocked with game. My next trip will be to Zim for elephant and possibly leopard.

If my PH feels safe I will go. Everybody has to die of something. Better than shitting my shorts in a nursing home.

I have been following it, and spoke with my outfitter and was told there is nothing to worry about. Most of it is little protests in the cities or Airbus but pretty much everything is isolated events. I think you should be good to go.

OK, I emailed a few outfitters, and basically received the same answer from all of them; It is perfectly safe to hunt, but please take an air charter to the hunting area to avoid the main roads. One said that it might also be wise to avoid Vic Falls right now due to recent problems.

With all the unbelievable deals on Zim hunts right now, its hard to pass up. I will definitely insure the entire trip just in case things get too bad. Now I just have to decide between Save or Omay!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniata1951

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross