Is it ok to transport your rifle ammunition in your bow case when traveling to South Africa?

billc

AH legend
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
united state- Co Nm Mt Wy Pa , canada ,mexico ,south africa- Northwest, Limpopo, freestste.Northern cape,East cape, namibia
Is it ok to transport your rifle ammunition in your bow case when traveling to South Africa? All the ammo boxes I found are so big and was thinking of just packing in my bow case if that is ok to do. thanks Billc

billc

go look at pistol cases...they make a great shell case...go for the single case some are very small will take 3 factory boxes...or go with the slightly larger one that will take up to 6 boxes...that will push your 11 pounds....check with your PH to see if he needs any ammo and if you have the room and weight i will take some over for him...i always leave my ammo so travel back is less trouble...

look at pelican cases again look att he small ones as they will fit 2 to 3 boxes of ammo. and if you need get two and split your ammo if 2 or more are traveling...

if you look at the TSA and airline rules one will say separate lockable case...go with the mose restrictive for hassle free travel while checking in..

I did see those cases at cabelas.I was just thinking since the bow case does lock and not carrying a gun I could put in there.Was thinking one less piece of luggage to deal with.

AS stated "if you look at the TSA and airline rules one will say separate lockable case...go with the most restrictive for hassle free travel while checking in.."

I did see those cases at cabelas.I was just thinking since the bow case does lock and not carrying a gun I could put in there.Was thinking one less piece of luggage to deal with.

Leaving the states it is not a requirement to have a locked box. Going into and out of SA you need it though. I bought 2 Pelican 1200's. I carried the 375 (3 boxes of 22), and my wife carried the 30.06 5 - 20 round boxes.

There is no way hard and fast rules can be made to apply to this because everyone has a different experience at Joberg. Last time I went thru there in '09 they were anxious about the ammo but it was not locked up and it passed thru fine. Our TSA states ammo can be in the locked hard gun case, go figure.

Just returned from Joberg on safari. Used original boxes, but checked luggage was inspected by TSA in Atlanta before we flew out of country. The Joberg police didn't care about the ammo at all as long as it wasnt in the same luggage as the weapons. AND MAKE SURE YOU HAVE COPIES OF YOUR CUSTOMS DECLARATION! Hell, all your forms for that matter. The Joberg police took our customs form, hid it, then told us they'd have to confiscate our weapons since we didn't have the form they took from us just one minute prior and hid it somewhere. My partner slipped one of them a $50 bill and suddenly the form materialized from nowhere.

That is not supposed to happen. I hope you let your PH know about, they do have some weight with the customs people and can complain. That kind of nonsense is supposed to be reported.

I went to Wal-Mart and got 3 plastic recipe card boxes 4x6 with built in lock. they're $10 each the looks are a joke but they work fine, don't weigh anything, and will hold 3 boxes of most ammo. I put one in each piece of luggage that we take, that way if one doesn't get there I still have ammo. Just don't lock them on the way last time I had TSA break one lock to look inside. Just lock them when leaving Africa.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg