Is it legal to hunt a female Leopard?

MarkCZ

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
South Africa, Finland, Estonia, C.Z. Poland, Slovakia, Romania, Scotland , England, Namibia
could someone solve an argument for me. Is it legal to hunt a female Leopard anywhere in Africa?
Cheers, MarkCZ

could someone solve an argument for me. Is it legal to hunt a female Leopard anywhere in Africa?
Cheers, MarkCZ

I believe the answer to that is a resounding NO. Might there be a stray PAC tag or some of the other lesser hunted countries that allow a female to be taken? I guess its possible. But in most countries if a female is taken, it's a big problem for the PH is my understanding.

My understanding is the same as Phil's

Cheers, MarkCZ
Do you want to take a female leopard?

It was legal to hunt as a trophy a female Leopard in Namibia until the moratorium of June 15, 2009. On January 14, 2010 the Namibian Ministry of Environment and Tourism (MET) reopens Leopard hunting with an amendment of regulations relating to Nature Conservation Ordinance 1975 which in part includes the following:

Conditions of predator trophy hunting permit
(b) a female leopard may not be hunted as trophy;

As sport hunting in South Africa is also regulated by the 9 different Provincial Nature Conservation Authorities it would be interesting to hear if the regulation differ in regard to hunting female Leopard.

- Eastern Cape Province
- Free State Province
- Gauteng Province
- KwaZulu Natal Province
- Limpopo Province
- Mpumalanga Province
- Northern Cape Province
- North West Province
- Western Cape Province

Note: About 60% of all Leopards are taken in the Limpopo province with another 25% being hunted in the North West province.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always wondered how often the mistake is made though?

I bet for every honest report of a mistake there are several "shoot and shovel" incidents.

Just wondering out loud. Not implying either happens on a regular basis, especially not with a reputable PH who regularly hunts leopard.

not in zambia

68. (1) Except as may be authorised under a special licence or permitted under section seventy-nine any person who hunts: (a) the dependent young of any game animal or protected animal; or (b) any female game animal or protected accompanied by her dependent young; shall be guilty of an offence

It was legal to hunt as a trophy a female Leopard in Namibia until the moratorium of June 15, 2009. On January 14, 2010 the Namibian Ministry of Environment and Tourism (MET) reopens Leopard hunting with an amendment of regulations relating to Nature Conservation Ordinance 1975 which in part includes the following:

Conditions of predator trophy hunting permit
(b) a female leopard may not be hunted as trophy;
But if not a trophy would it be ok?
MarkCZ

But if not a trophy would it be ok?
MarkCZ
Yes if the Leopard was designated as a problem animal however it would not be able to be exported.

In Zim it's a $20,000 fine to shoot a female. That fear kept me from getting my leopard first morning first day of the safari! Just have to see nuts or you can not shoot.
If you are having leopards eating your livestock then that is different.
Regards,
Philip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.